Bobo Stenson/Anders Jormin/Paul Motian -- Goodbye

Guy Berger

Wait till you hear them play "Send In The Clowns." It's like watching someone try to wash a pile of dog poop.

I'm not sure if this phrase equates to the oft used, 'trying to polish a turd', but, yes....if the song is a bit cheesy this band's attempts at giving it credibility have to be admired.

Or you think not?

I think not, because the hook progression in the song is so annoying/nagging that any "tasteful" attempt to

play "Send In The Clowns" must attempt to significantly modify that phrase or skate away from it altogether, but when you do that, either there's nothing left or you're not even playing the song. I have a copy of "Goodbye" (don't ask why), and, as I recall, the interpretation there is close to both of those alternatives, but that damn phrase finally turns out to be unavoidable. I'd say that the only way to handle it is the way Albert Ayler might have.

I guess I am lucky not to be familiar with the original song. I think their interpretation is really nice.

Guy

Me too. Then again, I'm no jazz writer.

Those who aren't into the "ECM sound" but like Bobo's music might want to check out "Very Early", another trio recording on the Dragon label from Sweden. It was recorded in the mid to late 80's with Anders Jormin and Rune Carlsson, and features nice takes of "Some Other Spring", "Countdown", Ravel's "Pavane", and an original or two in addition to the title track by Bill Evans. Maybe not easy to find, but worth the search. I just discovered that I've lent my copy to someone..........now, who? I need to get it back!

Hope I'm not playing language games with you (that's not my intent), but you can judge a performance as an "interpretation" only if you know the original, i.e. what is being interpreted.

Does that mean that if I want to "interpret" standards that I need to invest in a buch of Original Cast Recordings?

God, I hope not... :g

Hope I'm not playing language games with you (that's not my intent), but you can judge a performance as an "interpretation" only if you know the original, i.e. what is being interpreted.

Larry -- I'm not judging it as an interpretation, I'm judging it as music.

Right. But you said in a previous post: "I think their interpretation is really nice." Not every musical performance is an interpretation of a piece of music. A world where reasonable distinctions are made and preserved is a world where people have a better chance to understand each other.

Guest youmustbe

One other thing about Manfred....he could have sold ECM for big bucks to a major, or been part of a conglomerate, but instead he has stayed independent, doing exactly what he pleases. How many can say that in today's biz world.

Guest the mommy

i wish eicher was more interested in putting older albums out on CD.

there is a lot of good stuff still stuck on LP and it seems he is more interested in putting out new music.

which is admirable, but as far as my taste go...not what i want to hear.

• 2 weeks later...

there is a lot of good stuff still stuck on LP and it seems he is more interested in putting out new music.

ECM has done a pretty good job in terms of the majority of the catalog being on CD and continually available.

Just curious - what are you looking for that hasn't made it to CD yet?

Abercrombie's late 70's quartet recordings is one notable omission.

ECM has done a pretty good job in terms of the majority of the catalog being on CD and continually available.

Just curious - what are you looking for that hasn't made it to CD yet?

The Jewel in the Lotus

A lot of the earlier ECM catalogue, like Drum Ode and Afternoon of a Georgia Faun, is available, but only at jacked-up import prices. I had hoped that things were going to switch up after that first wave of reissues, but I'm still waiting... like, I'd love to see Divine Love on CD.

Edited by ep1str0phy