Suggest Some Andrew Hill

Teasing the Korean

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

No love for Compulsion!!!!!! ??????? The first track is killer! I mean, how can you go wrong with a line up including Hubbard, Gilmore, McBee, Davis and Chambers? The percussion too, I think, adds a lot to this date and it really has an open feel to it. If I recall, both McBee and Davis play together on track three, with just Hill and the percussionists. Great stuff, IMO. I also didn't see anyone mention Change either, with Sam Rivers. Maybe another sleeper I guess, but its another great date with Walter Booker playing a little more freely than usual. Grass Roots is the Rare Groove if you will, but its Hill at his funkiest with Jimmy Ponder on the second session (a rare occurance of Hill with a guitarist). If you can fine this one, I'd recommend you grab it too.

Another thumbs up for Judgment!, Andrew!!!, Passing Ships, Black Fire and Pax.

More thumbs up for the later dates such as A Beautiful Day, Dusk and But Not Farewell (if you can ever find it).

All of those BN sessions that Andrew did with Richard Davis are fabulous. There is lots of variety in instrumentation too. You can't go wrong. Richard was very important to these sessions; no other bassist could possibly have helped more.

The later BN stuff is rather a bore to me, except the funky album, "Grass Roots" with the picture of some kids playing in a park on the cover.

I have never heard a note of Andrew's post-BN work. Where could I??

No love for Compulsion!!!!!! ??????? The first track is killer! I mean, how can you go wrong with a line up including Hubbard, Gilmore, McBee, Davis and Chambers? The percussion too, I think, adds a lot to this date and it really has an open feel to it. If I recall, both McBee and Davis play together on track three, with just Hill and the percussionists. Great stuff, IMO. I also didn't see anyone mention Change either, with Sam Rivers. Maybe another sleeper I guess, but its another great date with Walter Booker playing a little more freely than usual. Grass Roots is the Rare Groove if you will, but its Hill at his funkiest with Jimmy Ponder on the second session (a rare occurance of Hill with a guitarist). If you can fine this one, I'd recommend you grab it too.

Another thumbs up for Judgment!, Andrew!!!, Passing Ships, Black Fire and Pax.

More thumbs up for the later dates such as A Beautiful Day, Dusk and But Not Farewell (if you can ever find it).

:tup Yes! I certainly consider Compulsion to be one of the great ones.

For the later years, I recently stumbled on some live recordings from 2004-2006 in excellent sound that (IMO) go well beyond the official releases of the time. Brilliant music! For anybody interested, King Ubu can probably fix you up. ;)

Also thumbs up for "Les Trinitaires". I have a copy of the CD but have been looking for the original for ages. Great to hear live versions of some of the "Dusk" material. My favorite Blue Notes continue to be "Black Fire", "Smokestack", and "Time Lines"

Seeing him live twice are memories I will always treasure.

Regards,

LWayne