Suggest Some Andrew Hill

Teasing the Korean

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Noj with regards to "Black Fire" being the next one you buy. You might want to try "Passing Ships" after that.

If after these three, you are still liking what you hear, you probably can't go wrong with any of his other classic Blue Note titles. I'm a Hill fanatic, and think they are all essential.

Both Noj and SS1's recommendations are right on the money. Black Fire is my second-favorite Hill. A combination of great compositions and great musicians doesn't go wrong in this case. Passing Ships is my favorite of the late 60s Hill recordings for BN (I haven't heard the Mosaic Select) -- you can hear the Hill vision projected onto a larger ensemble.

Guy

Thanks for the quick replies! We're off to a good start!

2 questions:

1 - Did AH ever record with Bobby Hutcherson?

Judgment, Andrew!!!, Dialogue (a Bobby H album)

2 - Did AH record much as a sideman for Blue Note? I don't think any of my Blue Note LPs have him as a sideman, but then again I still have many to get.

He appeared on Dialogue, Hank Mobley's No Room for Squares, and Joe Henderson's Our Thing.

Guy

Let me add to the chorus, the two dates I would most highly suggest are...

Black Fire and Passing Ships

"Judgement" is also pretty damn good.

(Hell, I think ALL of it's good, or at the very least REALLY interesting -- but I'm a Hill fanatic, so I'm not very objective about these things. I even LOVE that last disc of the Hill BN Select -- the crazy date(s) with Woody Shaw and Sam Rivers. It's totally NUTS, but wonderfully so. :wub: )

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Guest the mommy

tasered korean, "judgement" is the best hill album on BN imo (it is a quartet with hill and hutcherson and elvin jones and richard davis) and then i would say the quartet date "black fire". if you would like a larger ensemble i would agree about checking out "passing ships".

no one has mentioned "andrew!!!" but i like that one more than "dance with death" or "dialogue" or "smokestack" or the vocal one or the rare-groovish one. why can't i remember any names today?

though i will leave you with the caveat i don't like "andrew!!!" that much, it has a nice feel if you are in the mood. otherwise it can give you a headache just because the music sort of floats.

his album "shades" from the early 80s? is nice and you might like it (it is a trio/quartet). many people like this album a lot. it could be your "sleeper" pick. it is more gentle than the others but swings. ben riley and clifford jordan contribute.

his album "shades" from the early 80s? is nice and you might like it (it is a trio/quartet). many people like this album a lot. it could be your "sleeper" pick. it is more gentle than the others but swings. ben riley and clifford jordan contribute.

Good call.

Thanks for the quick replies! We're off to a good start!

2 questions:

1 - Did AH ever record with Bobby Hutcherson?

Judgment, Andrew!!!, Dialogue (a Bobby H album)

2 - Did AH record much as a sideman for Blue Note? I don't think any of my Blue Note LPs have him as a sideman, but then again I still have many to get.

He appeared on Dialogue, Hank Mobley's No Room for Squares, and Joe Henderson's Our Thing.

Guy

Andrew also recorded with Hutch for Eternal Spirit (for the reformed BN--that one is OOP, though...).