Eldee Young has passed away

jazzypaul

From what I've heard, he had a heart attack in his sleep and never woke up. More details as they become available. I just finished writing the obituary. I'll try to post later.

Anyway, he was a monster, and he was a lot more of a player than you'd realize listening to those Ramsey Lewis records.

He's gonna be missed.

Sad news :(

"The In-Crowd" still is in my father's LP collection, pretty beat-up... and just recently I picked up a copy of this fun Water twofer:

0000519551.jpg

BORN AGAIN (1970) / MELLOW DREAMIN' (1971)

Eldee Young (bass); Redd Holt (drums)

Additional personnel include: Kenneth Chaney, Bobby Lyle (keyboards); Donny Hathaway (background vocals).

Liner Note Authors: Redd Holt; Pat Thomas

Recording information: P.S. Studios, Chicago, Illinois (1970 - 1971)

For the first time on CD are two classic soul-jazz albums from Young-Holt Unlimited originally released in '70 and '71 on Cotillion/Atlantic

(blurb excerpted from the CDU page, via big-o)

• 4 months later...

I can't believe this. I just saw this, and I was stunned! The original Ramsey Lewis Trio will always be one of my top favorite groups in the world! This cat swung his ass off! Rest in peace! I'm going to have to play some Lewis Trio albums in his honor. (as if I wouldn't of in the first place...) Sheldon, where are you seeing Red?

I can't believe this. I just saw this, and I was stunned! The original Ramsey Lewis Trio will always be one of my top favorite groups in the world! This cat swung his ass off! Rest in peace! I'm going to have to play some Lewis Trio albums in his honor. (as if I wouldn't of in the first place...) Sheldon, where are you seeing Red?

I saw Redd a few weeks ago at the Jazz Kitchen in Indy. The show was a blast and he's a great guy. I got some really nice photos and then my kazillion dollar camera expired on me....but the show was cool.

m~

ps, the camera has been repaired!

I saw Redd a few weeks ago at the Jazz Kitchen in Indy. The show was a blast and he's a great guy. I got some really nice photos and then my kazillion dollar camera expired on me....but the show was cool.

m~

ps, the camera has been repaired!

That's really cool.

R.I.P. - he was one of the first drummers I really listened to on some Ramsey Lewis compilation LP I had early in the 1970's.

- shame on Universal that we still have to wait for an expanded CD reissue of the classic Ramsey Lewis Trio LPs.

Eldee was the bass player. He played cello too.

Always a positive spirit when I encountered him.

R.I.P. - he was one of the first drummers I really listened to on some Ramsey Lewis compilation LP I had early in the 1970's.

- shame on Universal that we still have to wait for an expanded CD reissue of the classic Ramsey Lewis Trio LPs.

Eldee was the bass player. He played cello too.

Always a positive spirit when I encountered him.

Mike may have been referring to Jazzkat's question and my reply about Holt.

m~

What part of " R.I.P. - he was one of the first drummers I really listened to" did I misunderstand?

Sorry, my mistake - I was talking about Red Holt, of course. I'm heavily drum-biased, ya know ......

Still, R.I.P. Eldee Young - and I remember his cello playing, too. My apologies.