EMI stock plunges

T.D.

As I understand it, when the industry talks about the North American market, it is talking about American teenagers. I have occasionally read passing references to the idea that there are more than a few teenage boys who spend their money on video games rather than music. The idea is that times have changed, and maybe music is not as important to teenagers as it has been since the days of Elvis.

If that's true, then the industry has more to worry about than file sharing.

I see on Drudge today that American Idol again this year got better Nielsen ratings than the Grammy Awards show. This is another indication that the record industry isn't offering acts that the American people want to listen to.

see on Drudge today that American Idol again this year got better Nielsen ratings than the Grammy Awards show. This is another indication that the record industry isn't offering acts that the American people want to listen to.

Well maybe, but it is more that American Idol offers better story arcs -- and the potential for conflict between the judges (mostly staged) -- and has more of a human element (wow -- I could be that goofy looking guy up there singing his heart out).

Award shows are just a bunch of overpaid pop stars/movie stars/tv stars sitting around and exchanging metaphorical blow jobs. Who cares? I hate awards shows and have never voluntarily turned one on (my wife sometimes watches).

too many pop stars. the musical sensibilities of this current generation of youth is pathetic. As a member of generation Y, im pretty horrified at what most people my age like to listen to. its either american idol (which is pretty much karaoke,) britneyspears/timberlake/aguilera/beyonce/etc..., emo ( i really dont get this one), hip hop ( I wont throw this one completely under the bus, there were some good bands - tribe called quest for example- but its pretty much been a dead musical format for over a decade) ass-metal or indie pop.

You mean Norah Jones isn't singlehandedly saving the music industry?

( :) )

Say what you like about her, but her new album is her best yet. Seriously. She's got something of a Nick Drake/Leonard Cohen vibe on this one. Of course, Nick and Len have never burned up the charts, so I'm sure that a more mature Norah isn't what EMI was hoping for...

too many pop stars. the musical sensibilities of this current generation of youth is pathetic. As a member of generation Y, im pretty horrified at what most people my age like to listen to. its either american idol (which is pretty much karaoke,) britneyspears/timberlake/aguilera/beyonce/etc..., emo ( i really dont get this one), hip hop ( I wont throw this one completely under the bus, there were some good bands - tribe called quest for example- but its pretty much been a dead musical format for over a decade) ass-metal or indie pop.

Some music from the current generation of artists that I absolutely love include the Roots, the White Stripes and Gnarls Barkley. I've picked up the recent releases from Christina and Beyonce and I have to say that I like them. They are uneven to be sure, but far from poor. Christina is not to be included in a list of her former Pop Tart cohorts, in my opinion, because unlike Britney, Christina can SING.

Finally, I have to give Justin props for doing "Dick in a Box." The man can laugh at himself, if nothing else.

Finally, I have to give Justin props for doing "Dick in a Box." The man can laugh at himself, if nothing else.

I suppose you give Kevin Federline props as well.

No. Unlike Justin (who has a modicum of talent), K-Fed is a gold digger whose fifteen minutes are up and is making a play for a few minutes more. He's not laughing at himself, he's clinging to public attention. And that's just pathetic.