Atlantic 60th Anniversary Japanese Reissues

Late

Good to know you'll keep making a fool out of yourself Robert!!!! I've LISTENED to the box and the new Japanese remaster and it's really 2 seconds. Don't believe the timings on the net (or even on booklets, etc.) I've had the 2 in my player and saw the timings and listened too. But go ahead and do as you like. The warning is indeed valid.

Yes, sure, YOU are the expert! The timings on every website - every discography - in the liner notes - all wrong, according to you!

Thanks you Mr. Expert!!!

Are you sure that's EXACTLY 2 seconds? Could it be 2.4? or 1.8? Can we really have a discussion of this!!!

Like I said...WHO CARES???

And why do you feel so threatened that you need to do some name-calling?? Rock on.

Edited by robert h.

So what are you saying, Brownie .. that if these are the stereo tracks as suggested it would encourage you even more to buy this? I assume that they corrected the balance problem that I alluded to earlier. Also, I do not remember that the 'B' side, with Thompson was ever in stereo ... Can someone who has this album tell me if these cuts are really stereo?

Garth, all I'm saying is that if there is a CD available of this 'Plenty, Plenty Soul' album with different takes, I would be looking for this. With mono or stereo takes, whatever...

• 3 weeks later...

So what are you saying, Brownie .. that if these are the stereo tracks as suggested it would encourage you even more to buy this? I assume that they corrected the balance problem that I alluded to earlier. Also, I do not remember that the 'B' side, with Thompson was ever in stereo ... Can someone who has this album tell me if these cuts are really stereo?

Garth, all I'm saying is that if there is a CD available of this 'Plenty, Plenty Soul' album with different takes, I would be looking for this. With mono or stereo takes, whatever...

the new issue is in stereo and sounds very good to my ears

the new issue is in stereo and sounds very good to my ears

My copy is the 1989 US release and even I think it sounds dull (and I usually put up with what I can get). Is the new one a big improvement on the 1989?

MG

Atlantic is another label that needed proper discographically informed reissue treatment! Rhino sometimes, but not always did this.

FWIW, the box set has the first two seconds of Coltane's Equinox cut off, too!

so every version has cut of those 2 seconds?

JB

No - the single Atlantic CD available before the box set had the complete track.

I have the Giuffre and also Milt Jackson "Plenty Plenty Soul".

I agree the Giuffre sounds great, but the Jackson is a revelation compared to the crappy 80's CD.

For some strange reason "Plenty, Plenty Soul" is a very neglected masterpiece, imo. I have always loved this album, and once even had one of those early weird Atlantic green label stereo versions of this, in which Cannonball sounded as if he was playing in the next room. I assume that this remastered reissue is a mono version of this wonderful album?

I also believe that the stereo takes were different from the mono takes ... I assume that these are not included.

Great Lucky Thompson on the 'B' side ....

On the new issue Cannonball remains in an adjacent room but the sound is otherwise very clear. The drums are perhaps a little loud suggesting a mixing problem. The tracks with LT suffer no problems in terms of balance. I've not heard this session before so can't compare but I've no complaints with this issue of Plenty,Plenty Soul

I agree the Giuffre sounds great, but the Jackson is a revelation compared to the crappy 80's CD.

For some strange reason "Plenty, Plenty Soul" is a very neglected masterpiece, imo. I have always loved this album, and once even had one of those early weird Atlantic green label stereo versions of this, in which Cannonball sounded as if he was playing in the next room. I assume that this remastered reissue is a mono version of this wonderful album?

I also believe that the stereo takes were different from the mono takes ... I assume that these are not included.

On the new issue Cannonball remains in an adjacent room but the sound is otherwise very clear. The drums are perhaps a little loud suggesting a mixing problem. The tracks with LT suffer no problems in terms of balance. I've not heard this session before so can't compare but I've no complaints with this issue of Plenty,Plenty Soul

I just returned from a week lying in the sun on Cozumel ... and now I have had a chance to listen to this Japanese remastered CD. It certainly is a vast improvement over the last 1989 reissue, however there are still some places where the balance seems to shift or fade ... but on the whole I am very pleased. The sound is a lot brighter than the previous CD.

I just returned from a week lying in the sun on Cozumel ... and now I have had a chance to listen to this Japanese remastered CD. It certainly is a vast improvement over the last 1989 reissue, however there are still some places where the balance seems to shift or fade ... but on the whole I am very pleased. The sound is a lot brighter than the previous CD.

Looks like an upgrade might be a worthwhile investment for me, then. Thanks Garth.

MG