Brew Moore

Durium

The record you have must be the U.K. pressing of one Brew's mid-50s Fantasy albums (haven't got my discography on hand right now).

Also, about that b/w pic of that cigarette-smoking dude in your blog: Are you sure this is Brew Moore? Looks more like Tony Fruscella (who did record with Brew) to me. I think it is on one of those Spotlite LP's (will check later today). Is this where you got it from?

the cigarette picture is fruscella from what I've seen elsewhere and he doesn't look much like Brew (there is also the (nice!) Cover Photo of the Spotlite LP which I can't find on the Web right now - there you have the two next to each other and can see pretty well who is who)

recollections of brew by piano player Lars Sjösten:

http://www.sami.se/art/sjosten/bms.htm

my French is just good enough to see that this might answer Steve's question but I am not sure

* Légendaire aussi : Tony Fruscella, l'Open Door et le label Spotlite.

Tony Fruscella est majestueux dans ce plan "américain" ; le visage de profil ; les yeux baissés ; une cigarette à la main ; à l'écoute des autres musiciens.

Are you sure this is Brew Moore? Looks more like Tony Fruscella (who did record with Brew) to me. I think it is on one of those Spotlite LP's (will check later today). Is this where you got it from?

Dear Big Beat Steve,

brewmoore2.jpg

I found the image here on this site.

It says that it is Brew Moore on tenor.

Brew Moore

Survey | Keep swinging

Durium

I've been putting off getting the Tony Truscella set which includes the session with Brew in the vain hope that Chuck and Uptown will release it in better quality audio . I'd be interested in Chuck's view regarding the chances of this coming out. After all we've not seen an Uptown release in wee while. :o

Durium, there must be some confusion.

I wasn't referring to the pic you showed twice in this thread (Brew in his characteristic pose) but to the pic of the cigarette-smoking guy you have just underneath that pic inserted ni the text on your KEEP SWINGING BLOG (not here but under the link in your thread). As I did not see the name of Tony Fruscella in that article on Brew Moore I figured there was a mixup. And there is ... see the covers of the Spotlite LP's ;)

(Nice stuff on these, by the way - the Fru'n'Brew LP is just getting a spin here - very relaxed session!).

BTW; the Vocalion issue you mentioned above is indeed a European release of Fantasy 3-222 ("The Brew Moore Quartet and Quintet"), his first solo LP.

P.S. (see below) Brownie - thanks for clarifying this once and for all (so we can finish that part of the discussion and get back to Brew ;) )

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I've been putting off getting the Tony Truscella set which includes the session with Brew in the vain hope that Chuck and Uptown will release it in better quality audio . I'd be interested in Chuck's view regarding the chances of this coming out. After all we've not seen an Uptown release in wee while. :o

The project was shelved (for a while) when the other issue came out.

The Jazz Factory Fruscella set is highly recommended. It has all of Fruscella's music that has been released in very decent sound. Missing is the Tony Fruscella Brooklyn Jam 1952 music that came out in Japan on M&I

717117.jpg

BaldwinStreet at some point also announced the appearance of more unreleased Fruscella but this seems to have been shelved.

• 2 weeks later...

Bringing this thread back on topic , I expect that we will soon see one of the European public domain labels give us , " the complete early Brew Moore sessions " . This would be welcome for a couple of reasons . First it would include the Brew Moore Savoy 10-inch tracks that were reissued on a double-LP in the mid-seventies called , ' Brothers and other Mothers ' . Second it would include this record that Fantasy reissued on OJC vinyl in the early eighties but never got around to issuing on CD :

BrewMooreonFantasy.jpg

One track on this LP has Brew with Cal Tjader and Vince Guaraldi recorded on a gig at UCLA . Such orphan tracks always leave one wondering if there might be more material awaiting issue .

One track on this LP has Brew with Cal Tjader and Vince Guaraldi recorded on a gig at UCLA . Such orphan tracks always leave one wondering if there might be more material awaiting issue .

Wondered about that too!

Brew Moore also showed up on two of Cal Tjader's albums for Fantasy 'Tjader Plays Jazz' and 'Latin Kick'!

Bringing this thread back on topic , I expect that we will soon see one of the European public domain labels give us , " the complete early Brew Moore sessions " . This would be welcome for a couple of reasons . First it would include the Brew Moore Savoy 10-inch tracks that were reissued on a double-LP in the mid-seventies called , ' Brothers and other Mothers ' . Second it would include this record that Fantasy reissued on OJC vinyl in the early eighties but never got around to issuing on CD :

BrewMooreonFantasy.jpg

Wow — didn't even know that one existed (the LP pictured above). I always assumed that Moore just had the one title on Fantasy — the one that made it into the OJC series. That one's nice. Who's on the other Fantasy session?

Oh yeah — I've always thought that Moore should have had a tune called "Brew Moore Coffee," or maybe "Brew Moore Beer." Maybe he did and I just haven't checked any discographies. :crazy:

Anyone know what the original cover to Svingtet 14 looked like? Just curious.

Wow — didn't even know that one existed (the LP pictured above). I always assumed that Moore just had the one title on Fantasy — the one that made it into the OJC series. That one's nice. Who's on the other Fantasy session?

Dues Blues:

Brew Moore (ts), Cal Tjader (vib), Vince Guaraldi (p), Dean Reilly (b), Bobby White (d)

Other titles:

Brew Moore & Harold Wylie (saxes), John Marabuto (p), John Mosher (b), John Markham (d)

Strange to see this LP is more elusive than the other. Even this one must have been on the market quite a while. I did not buy my new OJC copy until about 1990 or so.

Late, maybe you just were "too Late" ;)

Re- Brothers & Other Mothers (not such a rare sight in secondhand bins, BTW):

Don't forget Brothers & Other Mothers VOL. 2 for more Brew:

Mud Bug/Gold Rush/Lestorian Mode/Kai's Kid (+ alt. takes) rec. May 20, 1949!

Edited by Big Beat Steve