How can we lobby to get Rare Grooves back?

Soul Stream

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought water took over the rare groove series. though they have not released anything for a while. that said,i would also like to see the rare groove series start up again. hows about the following:

the three sounds...soul symphony

reuben wilson.......set us free...on broadway

blue mitchell.........bantu village...collision in black

jimmy mcgriff.......black pearl

I had "Set us free", briefly. Reuben Wislon fan though I am, I just couldn't listen to it more than a couple of times.

But indeed, a revived Rare Groove series would be a great thing. Soul Stream was mentioning Jimmy McGriff's "I've got a NEW woman" the other day. From what he said, I'd reckon that'd be a good candidate.

And I'd also like to see the two PJ Johnny Lytle LPs reissued. I've only got the live one and it's in a right state!

MG

the only one i have heard,out of the previous mentioned sessions,is soul symphony. these have never been out on cd, so i thought i would like to give them a listen. i think they would all fit under the "rare groove" banner. anyone have any thoughts on the others i mentioned. (just remember,"rare groove",not top 10 jazz albums of all time, please adjust your comments accordingly :) )

speaking of runt distribution/water,i don't believe that they have updated their website in quite a while.

Edited by mike casinghino

Guest donald petersen

water seems to reissue based on which covers look the coolest, to them (they seem to like covers with black people on them) rather than the quality of the music....

brown suger, that mediocre reuben wilson, the phantom, who knows what tommorow..., brute force (not blue note, though)....invitation to openess is the exception, i guess. but overall fairly medioicre stuff (the mccann probably being the best and the roach being good if you like that sort of thing).

someone should help them pick based on musical interest.

i mean the brute force is probably one of the ultimate looks great sounds meh albums i know of.

i would like to hear....

alphonse mouzon's "the essence of mystery" (one of the top 10 blue note albums ever)-but why isn't it reissued when "funky snakefoot" and "mind transplant" get multiple CD releases?

jeremy steig-"wayfaring stranger" (some soft space-ey funk, probably a top 10 blue note album)

ronnie foster "on the avenue" or "chesire cat"-probably prefer "chesire cat" since it is possibly also a top 10 blue note album.

brother jack mcduff "to seek a new home" i used to dislike this one but it has grown on me with recent listens.

they could also start reissuing impulse! albums which fit into the genre (there are a few really good michael white albums, for instance "go with the flow" and "brother music, sister dance" or whatever... though knowing them they would reissue some of the tom scott stuff)

Ronnie Foster "Live At Montreaux"...or ANY Ronnie on Blue Note. I was a sleeper on what a freaking monster Ronnie Foster was until I heard "Sweet Revival". That record is mostly commercial pop stuff, but some of the solos he takes are simply mindblowing in the way Jimmy Smith on Verve was, which it seems Ronnie's style is mostly based on. Never heard this live recording 'cause it's so rare, but to see it on CD would be awesome....and yeah Cheshire Cat...ANY ronnie I would buy.

Already lots of great suggestions. Set Us Free is a GREAT suggestion. And what DID happen to Water and their penchant for cool "Rare Groove"-like reissues? See What Tommorrow Brings...I love it.

But Jack McDuff's "To Seek A New Home" absolutely TOPS my list of Blue Note groove stuff I want on CD. Followed real damn close by Lou Donaldson's "Cosmos"

Edited by Soul Stream

Spring/early Summer always used to mean a new batch of Rare Grooves from Blue Note. Some of my all time faves were issued under that series. Is there any chance we can try and get that back? Damn, I Miss THESE!!!!

I only disocovered the "rare groove series" half a year ago,

and a lot of those records are in my player a lot!

All the records that are available I already own now, wouldn't mind owning the rest, too!!

Typical how fast some reissues are getting unavaiable themselves, and getting collector items, too

:(

JB

Guest donald petersen

cheshire cat and on the avenue are better than those two. sweet revival is the worst of the lot.

cheshire cat is the best. two headed freap is a little tight. cheshire cat and on the avenue are looser.

you have probably heard the best parts of two headed freap anyways, sampled by the beatnuts and tribe called quest, etc.

hey,i'm easy to convince,put me down for a copy of cheshire cat,on the avenue,& to seek a new home! and i would certainly take a copy of,jeremy steig-wayfaring stranger,does this actually qualify as a "rare groove" type session?

has anyone ever been successful in contacting water? i have tried a few times,but never received an answer.

Guest donald petersen

hey,i'm easy to convince,put me down for a copy of cheshire cat,on the avenue,& to seek a new home! and i would certainly take a copy of,jeremy steig-wayfaring stranger,does this actually qualify as a "rare groove" type session?

has anyone ever been successful in contacting water? i have tried a few times,but never received an answer.

the beastie boys thought it was funky enough....

but yeah to me this is a pretty funky album. i don't see why it wouldn't count based on some previous "rare grooves" selections. easy walker, for instance....

this is all hypothetical anyway.

but seriously, it feels like whoever is running water is just flipping through album covers and choosing as clem said, the "soulful" ones...however this means that maybe "on the avenue" has a chance.

Sweet Revival is a VERY commercial affair, that said....Ronnie Foster is REALLY playing his ass off on some of those solos. Put it on when you've got an hour to kill and don't skip around...play it all the way through. He's PLAYING on that thing! Check out INOT on that record...RONNIE IS PLAYING HIS ASS ON THAT!!!!!! Also, check out his beautiful solos on Alone Again and Where Is The Love.

The solos on Sweet Revival are long and great JAZZ solos on commercial vehicles.

CHECK IT!