Max Roach, Miles Davis Mosaics running low

Anyone got any idea which sets are likely to be next on deck for the chop?

Having sprung for the IASW and 63-64 vinyl sets I can see going for the Miles/Trane and Second Quintet sets even though I have 90% of the material already on CD.

I had none of the 63-64 material and only the 1980s Cd issue of IASW which made justifying ( to myself that is) their purchase. The vinyls sets do sound good.....why did they stop vinyl... poor sales I guess judging by the numbers on my sets.

Yep, all of those Miles sets are great - when my 63-64 set arrives I now have the full set. :rhappy:

Mosaic took a business decision I guess to stop the vinyl. Not enough punters and too much cost/hassle to put them out. Great shame..

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone got any idea which sets are likely to be next on deck for the chop?

I asked about the Hodges when I ordered the Roach and got as an answer that it "should be around until the end of the year"... but I see that one as a likely candidate, I think it came out around the same time as the Roach.

Sounds like a likely candidate. That one will be next in the cross-hairs. Suspect Django may follow too.

The Django I've had for a while - word is that the JSP boxes sound a lot better, but I never started buying JSPs so far, all Django I have is the Mosaic, the Jazz in Paris discs (7 or 8 of them, a few nicely complementing the Mosaic and containing music that's at least as great), as well as the Definitive hackjob 4CD set collecting all he did with American musicians.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the earlier selects start hitting running low, particularly as these were widely distributed to retailers. Then there are always the sets that time out vs. selling out - that is obviously muh harder to predict.

Why? Timing out is so and so many years after a set got on the market - all one would have to know is for how long they have a license for what set.Seems to me of late most sets were timing out long before their actually planned edition had been printed!

all one would have to know is for how long they have a license for what set.

Obviously, but I don't think Mosaic is going to tell you that.

Well, I never tried asking, but I guess that's the kind of business information one doesn't pass along... but then don't we have a chance to take guesses from looking at earlier boxes and their timing out? Obviously BN sets rarely if ever do so, but maybe there's a difference in Universal ones (the Max right now) and Sony ones (the Bailey) that would allow to draw conclusions? Or are these deals done anew for each box set?

Why? Timing out is so and so many years after a set got on the market - all one would have to know is for how long they have a license for what set.Seems to me of late most sets were timing out long before their actually planned edition had been printed!

Didn't the J.J. Johnson set time out? I guess the license with Sony Music had run its course. Talk about an underappreciated Mosaic.

Edited by trane_fanatic

I don't think it's any huge secret. You can figure it out by looking at when sets first came out and when they go out of print. If you look at most sets, it seems like it's for five years, then with (probably) an option to renew for another 5. I think the J.J. was on the market for 10 years. Looks like the Roach has been around for close to 10 now (same with the Hodges). They're timing out (as opposed to selling out the maximum number of copies).

I don't think it's any huge secret. You can figure it out by looking at when sets first came out and when they go out of print. If you look at most sets, it seems like it's for five years, then with (probably) an option to renew for another 5. I think the J.J. was on the market for 10 years. Looks like the Roach has been around for close to 10 now (same with the Hodges). They're timing out (as opposed to selling out the maximum number of copies).

I think the Roach is much more recent - didn't it come out around 2002/2003? 5 years seems to be around the usual timeframe for these sets.

I think the Roach is much more recent - didn't it come out around 2002/2003? 5 years seems to be around the usual timeframe for these sets.

Copyright date on the Roach set is 2000. Copyright date on the Mobley set is 1998. :blink: I bet that one times out next year.

Hm, have any BN sets actually timed out or do they have some kind of special agreement there, since they're closely related via MC? I ask seriously, I never so far got any BN (except the Byrd/Adams) in the last minute, had all the other long before they went OOP.

There were 140 Max Roach sets left on Thursday.

I wonder how quickly this is going to go. I'm nervous about ordering it this week as our office is moving on Friday and I'm worried about the shipping getting caught in the transition.

Order it now and ask them to hold off on shipping it?

I charge a consultancy fee by the way.

The check's in the mail ... ;)

Copyright date on the Roach set is 2000. Copyright date on the Mobley set is 1998. :blink: I bet that one times out next year.

Wow - was the Roach really out back in 2000? My mind is playing tricks, thought it was more recent than that. :o

Wow - was the Roach really out back in 2000? My mind is playing tricks, thought it was more recent than that. :o

The Max Roach box was introduced in the Fall 2000 brochure from Mosaic!

The Max Roach box was introduced in the Fall 2000 brochure from Mosaic!

Guy probably has every Mosaic catalog since the beginning committed to memory. :P

Guy probably has every Mosaic catalog since the beginning committed to memory. :P

Well, I have them all since I started purchasing Mosaics back in 1986. I never got the first four brochures. First one I had was nr. 5 with a full page photo of Herbie Nichols on the frontpage and a reprint of a Chicago Tribune article on the early Mosaic releases by Larry Kart on its back page

Well, I have them all since I started purchasing Mosaics back in 1986. I never got the first four brochures. First one I had was nr. 5 with a full page photo of Herbie Nichols on the frontpage and a reprint of a Chicago Tribune article on the early Mosaic releases by Larry Kart on its back page

Wow! That one sounds worth saving!

Finally ordered the Max Roach set. And since I didn't want to waste the $200 limit for the $30 in shipping costs, I also ordered the new Andrew Hill Solo Select (which will complete my Hill collection) and the John Patton one (which I've been meaning to get for months - completing my collection of BJP Blue Notes).

Edited by Kyo