Classical Music Forum Poll

Classical Music Forum Poll  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Then why a separate forum? Like Funny Rat, the What Classical music are you listening to? thread is too big to search through.

That thread will be big no matter what forum it's in.

Guy

But if it has it own forum, I can just go there and flip through it. Funny Rat = 7025 responses! (right now), that's fun...as if this is a real critical issue. :rfr

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then why a separate forum? Like Funny Rat, the What Classical music are you listening to? thread is too big to search through.

Guy

But if it has it own forum, I can just go there and flip through it. Funny Rat = 7025 responses! (right now), that's fun...as if this is a real critical issue. :rfr

I don't understand what your point is here. You can go and flip through it no matter what forum it's in.

Guy

Guy

I don't understand what your point is here. You can go and flip through it no matter what forum it's in.

Guy

Easier navigation.

Guy

Guy

Easier navigation.

The "what classical music are you listening to?" thread is currently 1120 posts long. Is there any reason to believe that it would be shorter if it was in a different forum?

Guy

Guy

Guy

Easier navigation.

The "what classical music are you listening to?" thread is currently 1120 posts long. Is there any reason to believe that it would be shorter if it was in a different forum?

Guy

It would be in a forum with other like minded subjects.

Guy

Maybe you explain your logic, because I really don't see it.

Guy

Edited by Guy

Basically the "what Classical music are you listening to" thread has become an all purpose "discuss Classical music" thread.

Think how much easier it would be to browse through subject matter related to Classical music if there were multiple threads for that material, divided by like subject matter (based entirely on the whim of the starters of those threads).

Having a Classical forum (or sub-forum) would help facilitate that.

Currently, most of the Classical music discussion is all in one thread, and as such, it's difficult to browse through easily, and almost impossible to to find specific subjects of interest.

Granted, there's nothing now that's stopping people from creating separate threads for the discussion of Classical music subject. But for whatever reason, that's not being done much -- and eople just lump everything into that one big honkin' thread.

As I suggested above, let's start a Classical sub-forum for a couple months, and see what happens. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Basically the "what Classical music are you listening to" thread has become an all purpose "discuss Classical music" thread.

Think how much easier it would be to browse through subject matter related to Classical music if there were multiple threads for that material, divided by like subject matter (based entirely on the whim of the starters of those threads).

Having a Classical forum (or sub-forum) would help facilitate that.

Currently, most of the Classical music discussion is all in one thread, and as such, it's difficult to browse through easily, and almost impossible to to find specific subjects of interest.

Granted, there's nothing now that's stopping people from creating separate threads for the discussion of Classical music subject. But for whatever reason, that's not being done much -- and eople just lump everything into that one big honkin' thread.

As I suggested above, let's start a Classical sub-forum for a couple months, and see what happens. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

As it sounds, the issue is that you should be breaking individual topics into relevant threads, not grouping all discussions into one thread.

That can (should?) happen independent of creating a separate forum. What a nightmare to think of all the rock threads being lumped together into one single thread!

Edited by Aggie87

Guy

Maybe you explain your logic, because I really don't see it.

Guy

Don't worry about it, I'm not sure I even follow my logic at this point. It's been a long week.

If the entire problem is that by voluntary segregation all discussion of classical music has ended up in a single thread, that is the fault of the classical music fans who contribute to the "problem". Nothing has ever stopped them from starting new threads about specific topics/artists/releases. The fact that all discussion ends up in a single "what are you listening to" thread suggests that their actually the level of interest in the classical genre is insufficient to warrant a separate forum.

I vote no.

If the entire problem is that by voluntary segregation all discussion of classical music has ended up in a single thread, that is the fault of the classical music fans who contribute to the "problem". Nothing has ever stopped them from starting new threads about specific topics/artists/releases. The fact that all discussion ends up in a single "what are you listening to" thread suggests that their actually the level of interest in the classical genre is insufficient to warrant a separate forum.

I vote no.

Current poll results - 50 votes, 27 yes, 15 no...would seem to indicate that Dan didn't notice that 'no" is a loosing vote right now.

Good points.

Guy

I vote no.

Agreed with that.

Also like people said previously, i mostly look from the new posts section, i rarely browse through the forums unless i'm looking for a specific thread.

I'd rather vote for an improvement for the search function, which is too often useless.

what's the downside to having a classical music forum?

i see none.

:mellow:

The downside, in my opinion, is the cluttering of the board. As Hans suggests, why then not have a blues subforum, and a classic rock subforum, etc. etc.? There's no reason for a separate forum for the simple fact that anything that classical music fans might want to discuss can fit into the existing subforums - Recommendations, Artists, Reissues .... -and Miscelleneous Music.

i see none.

I see it the other way around, what is the upside of having it ? nobody is forbidding people from discussing right now and it's up to the people who want to discuss the music to create different threads relating to that subject instead of putting it all in the same thread.

i see none.

I see it the other way around, what is the upside of having it ? nobody is forbidding people from discussing right now and it's up to the people who want to discuss the music to create different threads relating to that subject instead of putting it all in the same thread.

:tup

I never knew that, I might have to check in now that's the case. BTW, I never use the View New Posts function, much more fun to go forum-by-forum.

Edit: Just one more thought: A good discussion on various classical music topics can be done. A good example can been seen by what rock fans here do, we have topics on Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Modern Rock, Led Zeppelin, My Bloody Valentine, etc. So it can be done.

Edited by Matthew

i see none.

The downside, in my opinion, is the cluttering of the board.

give me a break!

<_<

Why do you think we need a classical subforum?

All discussion of classical music is in one thread!

Why don't you start separate threads in existing forums like Artists or Recommendations?

Nah, we need a Classical forum!

Give me a break.

i see none.

The downside, in my opinion, is the cluttering of the board.

give me a break!

<_<

Why do you think we need a classical subforum?

All discussion of classical music is in one thread!

Why don't you start separate threads in existing forums like Artists or Recommendations?

Nah, we need a Classical forum!

Give me a break.

well most of the voters agree with me! :beee:

and you are NOT going to steal THIS election away from me!!!

:cool:

:rofl: