John Patton Tribute on MySpace

the most fucked up thing of all is BJP was contracted to Bluenote thru 1976 but never recorded for em after 69 cause he was totally pissed off at them.

let us discuss this point, shall we?

Actually, I would prefer to discuss Chick Corea's work on ECM.

Guy

Trio Music and Trio Music Live in Europe? Some of his more interesting work...

the most fucked up thing of all is BJP was contracted to Bluenote thru 1976 but never recorded for em after 69 cause he was totally pissed off at them.

let us discuss this point, shall we?

Yes, welcome to the music business! Sad to think John had another offer from a major label but BN wouldn't release him. It really put John's career on hold. He even became a music teacher at a NYC public school specializing in troubled children for a while. Something Thelma told me he really hated. BJP paid dues.

This may be a good time to come up with 'would be' album covers if Big John would've signed with ECM :cool:

LD_ECM.jpg

Since it's come up again, I think I should just note that the Grant Green Appreciation Society of Wales is ever so aggrieved at the obvious failure to mention the guitarist on the session.

MG

(on behalf of GGASW)

This may be a good time to come up with 'would be' album covers if Big John would've signed with ECM :cool:

LD_ECM.jpg

Since it's come up again, I think I should just note that the Grant Green Appreciation Society of Wales is ever so aggrieved at the obvious failure to mention the guitarist on the session.

MG

(on behalf of GGASW)

Grant used his Muslim name on this session. He only appears on three tracks also.

what other label are you referring to?

would of it been more of a funk/commerical record the likes of which blue note got into w/ blackbyrd, etc....

I personally know for sure he had a strings LP lined up and then there was the voices project with Andrew Hill but Manfred Eicher could not get him to break his contract with Blue Note to work for his new label so he signed Keith Jarrett instead who had played a little organ before with Miles but he went down another path

:D

You focused me on the fact that I was missing three of John Patton's leader dates. Thanks to the Jazz Record Center, Accent on the Blues and Minor Move are no longer on that list.

Glad to get you on Accent on the Blues. THAT is a killer...sit back and let that one sink in for a loooong time. That's a session that, to my ears, just never gets old. Also you mention Minor Move...do you mean Minor Swing on the DIW label? What's the other Patton session you're missing?

You focused me on the fact that I was missing three of John Patton's leader dates. Thanks to the Jazz Record Center, Accent on the Blues and Minor Move are no longer on that list.

Glad to get you on Accent on the Blues. THAT is a killer...sit back and let that one sink in for a loooong time. That's a session that, to my ears, just never gets old. Also you mention Minor Move...do you mean Minor Swing on the DIW label? What's the other Patton session you're missing?

Minor Swing on DIW (not the Tina Brooks recording, my mistake).

I don't have Memphis to New York Spirit.

Check the MySpace site again. I just put up a new songclip...Dragonslayer from Memphis To New York Spirit. I think after listening to it you'll have to have MTNYS... MTNYS on ebay

Edited by Soul Stream

I have all his leader dates except for Soul Connection, which still isn't on CD (to my knowledge). Would love to get that one.

95567.jpg

The Nilva catalogue is still owned by Alvin Queen and I understand he has no plans to reisuue any on CD (though some Junior Mance did come out in Japan).

MG

Check the MySpace site again. I just put up a new songclip...Dragonslayer from Memphis To New York Spirit. I think after listening to it you'll have to have MTNYS... MTNYS on ebay

Yes, MTNYS is a great album. I saw it closed for $21.50, which is a decent price for this one. I found a copy for $5 at Half Price Books, and funny enough they had Move Your Hand, by Dr Lonnie for $7, which is still in-print. Don't understand the logic at that store, but I'm not going to bring it to their attention.

Edited by Holy Ghost