Your best sounding jazz recording.

jazz1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, those swing Vanguards sound great! Wish they had been reissued on CD in a less haphazard fashion.

It may be that it's because the Lawrence Welk organization owns the masters.

Some of them came out in Europe through FNAC -- their version of the (great-sounding) Jimmy Rushing on a twofer CD, while the US version was on a single disc, dropping some tracks. Unconscionable, I say...

I've been meaning to point out the wonderful-sounding duet recording by the late Swedish clarinettist Putte Wickman with Jan Lundgren at the piano, "An Intimate Salute To Frankie" (Gazell GAFCD-1088).

Perfect balance between the instruments, with natural, appropriately intimate sound.

Don't let the 'tribute' theme to Sinatra throw you off -- it's 15 great standards, beautifully played...

Yes, those swing Vanguards sound great! Wish they had been reissued on CD in a less haphazard fashion.

It may be that it's because the Lawrence Welk organization owns the masters.

Some of them came out in Europe through FNAC -- their version of the (great-sounding) Jimmy Rushing on a twofer CD, while the US version was on a single disc, dropping some tracks. Unconscionable, I say...

The Welk group did issue all the Rushing material on 2 (jumbled) cds as well as a couple "best ofs". They hired Sam Charters to produce a series of reissues and he is to blame for the mess.

I've been meaning to point out the wonderful-sounding duet recording by the late Swedish clarinettist Putte Wickman with Jan Lundgren at the piano, "An Intimate Salute To Frankie" (Gazell GAFCD-1088).

Perfect balance between the instruments, with natural, appropriately intimate sound.

Don't let the 'tribute' theme to Sinatra throw you off -- it's 15 great standards, beautifully played...

What kind of music is that??

Thanks

jazz1

What kind of music is that??

Thanks

jazz1

Great instrumental interpretations of selections from the "Great American Songbook", all of which happen to have been sung by Frank Sinatra...

(If you mean "hard bop" or "dixieland" or "avant garde", I dunno. I'm not much into labels, just music).

01. Once In A While

02. When The Sun Comes Out

03. Angel Eyes

04. Little Girl Blue

05. On A Clear Day

06. September Song

07. Ill Wind

08. Only The Lonely

09. Where Do You Go?

10. I've Got You Under My Skin

11. The Song Is You

12. How Deep Is The Ocean

13. Body And Soul

14. Stella By Starlight

15. Night And Day

Recorded by Janne Hansson, Atlantis Studio (in Stockholm, I assume), February 2005. The producer is Rune Ofwerman, himself a fine pianist...

Jim Anderson reported in his thread here that none of the CD issues of the Pink Panther album do it justice, but that it was one of Tommy LiPuma's greatest jobs.

Avoid ALL RCA CDs from the 1980s mastered by a guy named Dick Baxter. He also did a lot of those RCA "Tropical Series" CDs that reissued classic 50s Afro Cuban stuff, often with hideous cover art. I have mp3s that sound better than these CDs.