Any in-line skaters?

I was interested in possibly taking up in-line skating. Is there anyone else out there who is an in-line skater who has any advice on skates and skating? It's been a couple decades, but I've both ice skated and roller skated proficiently before. I imagine that I would pick it up pretty quickly.

Just looking around I see you can spend as much or as little as you'd like on skates. Knowing nothing at this point, I'm inclined to get something relatively cheap, see if I like it and then decide if I need better skates. What should I look for or avoid? Wheel size? Bearings? Any and all recommendations and/or advice would be appreciated.

Guest donald petersen

i don't think it is a good idea.

it is not really a dignified thing to be doing. peers and friends will possibly lose respect for you.

at least here on the east coast it seems to be becoming less socially acceptable, which is a welcome turn of events from a few years ago when you would have some doofus in a tank top and shades zooming by you with arms pumping.

skating in a rink...different story. knock yourself out.

the worst is when you see some skaters busting some tricks and maybe a bike guy or two popping some wheelie things and then there is a random dork in skates trying to pull off some hot moves, ie maybe hopping. and maybe jumping onto something and jumping off.

Guest donald petersen

i guess i am saying if you haven't started yet, just be glad you never got into it and continue on with life as usual.

like magic: the gathering. you wouldn't start playing magic: the gathering now, would you?

Edited by donald petersen

it is not really a dignified thing to be doing. peers and friends will possibly lose respect for you.

at least here on the east coast it seems to be becoming less socially acceptable, which is a welcome turn of events from a few years ago when you would have some doofus in a tank top and shades zooming by you with arms pumping.

the worst is when you see some skaters busting some tricks and maybe a bike guy or two popping some wheelie things and then there is a random dork in skates trying to pull off some hot moves, ie maybe hopping. and maybe jumping onto something and jumping off.

ROTFLMAO!!!

Guy

:lol:

Very well put.

I'm thinking of it as a fitness thing-hopping, jumping and hot moves would be the furthest thing from my mind. It would be a great aerobic exercise and a great way to take advantage of the many biking/walking trails in my area. I'm not interested in becoming some post-disco stereotype. I don't know why fitness should be undignified, socially unacceptable or the cause of losing respect for anyone. If that is all it takes, then I think it would be time to re-evaluate my friends and peers. :huh:

Edited by mikelz777

Guest donald petersen

jogging is fine. biking is fine. going to the gym is fine. squash, badminton, hoops, indoor hockey...anything but in-line skating....

just my opinion...

Any in-line skaters?

Yes, 1983. Pre-Rollerbalde. They were rolled out to people as part of a training program before international competition. Haven't been on them since. I tend to shy away from fads, a term I'd apply to in-lines in, what, the 90s? The fad has passed and, as far as I'm concerned, they're okay again. Just hasn't happened to me.

Mike, you're a Minnesotan, were (are) you a hockey player? IIRC, the skate companies make hockey-style inline models. I've also seen inline hockey leagues, which might be an acceptably non-doofus way to participate. :g [Disclaimer: I used to play hockey, but have never tried online skates.]

Bike/fitness trails seem like reasonable sites. I've even seen X-C ski type roller setups with poles, which were interesting.

One caution: I know of a dude, ex-hockey player and decent athlete, who fell down on his first day of online skating and broke his wrist in 8 places. So I'd suggest purchasing protective equipment, certainly knee and wrist guards...

I'm surprised at the negative perceptions here of someone who rollerblades for fun/fitness' sake. Maybe it's different here in Minnesota than in other parts of the country because Rollerblades originated here.

I frequent a park with a 2 mile walking/biking path and almost every time I've been there I've seen 1 if not 2 or 3 different people rollerblading on the paths. (Ipods seem to be popular with the skaters as well.) Rollerbladers are even more prevalent if you take in the walking/biking paths around the lakes. It's even popular enough that during the winter months, the Metrodome (present home of the Minnesota Twins and Vikings) has a regular schedule of times that the dome is open to rollerbladers so they can skate through the concourses like a giant roller rink.

Perception lies in the eye of the beholder. To those here, I'd probably be the rollerblading dork who happened to love jazz. To the rollerbladers, I'd probably be the jazz loving dork who happened to rollerblade. Still, it would be nice to get some helpful advice. The suggestion about getting wrist/elbow/knee protection is pretty good advice.

I wore my in-line skates out a few years ago, and haven't gotten around to replacing them. I thoroughly enjoyed it, though.

So f@CK all the haters. :P

Let me guess, I'll bet the OP corduroy shorts are still alive. :w

Check your dresser and report back. :ph34r: