Any in-line skaters?

It's even popular enough that during the winter months, the Metrodome (present home of the Minnesota Twins and Vikings) has a regular schedule of times that the dome is open to rollerbladers so they can skate through the concourses like a giant roller rink.

That sounds like it could be fun. I bet you can really haul ass around that place.

A lot of kids around here wear heelies. The are shoes with skate wheels on the heel. All they have to do is lean back and roll. As soon as they became popular, they were banned at school, grocery store, Lowe's, etc. They look like fun though. Sliding around behind your mom's grocery cart...

It's even popular enough that during the winter months, the Metrodome (present home of the Minnesota Twins and Vikings) has a regular schedule of times that the dome is open to rollerbladers so they can skate through the concourses like a giant roller rink.

That sounds like it could be fun. I bet you can really haul ass around that place.

A lot of kids around here wear heelies. The are shoes with skate wheels on the heel. All they have to do is lean back and roll. As soon as they became popular, they were banned at school, grocery store, Lowe's, etc. They look like fun though. Sliding around behind your mom's grocery cart...

I guess it's set up so that the serious skaters who really want to cruise are on one level and the beginners and casual skaters are on another level.

You mention heelies-maybe I kind of have an understanding of why some here are bothered by rollerbladers. I don't know why, but it bugs me when I see kids rolling around on those. Maybe its because I seem to see them everywhere except in a recreational/fitness setting. It seems they would be more of an anti-workout.

I wore my in-line skates out a few years ago, and haven't gotten around to replacing them. I thoroughly enjoyed it, though.

So f@CK all the haters. :P

Let me guess, I'll bet the OP corduroy shorts are still alive. :w

Check your dresser and report back. :ph34r:

Dresser hell, I just needed to look in the mirror.

OK guys, suppose I get a pair of rollerblades, play floor hockey and hospitalize several people in the process, impregnate several different women, eat raw meat, burp and fart with careless abandon, shave with a switchblade and terrorize anyone who would dare throw me a disparaging glance....would I be able to buy a serviceable pair of skates for regular use in the $50-$75 range or would I have to spend somewhere north of $100 for some serviceable skates?

Out of curiosity Joe, what sports does your triathelete sister participate in? Distance running, cycling, and swimming? I always appreciate stamina, it's such a time-consuming ability to develop.

Gee, for the record, I don't see anything wrong with inline skating for fitness. I've run quite a few miles on the lake fitness trails in Minneapolis, and they seem like great sites. In my hockey days, I considered getting inline skates, but figured I'd already spent enough $ on the hockey gear, and I didn't have any convenient locations.

If it's anything like hockey skates, you'll almost surely have to spend over $100 for a pair. I wouldn't be surprised if the high-end stuff got up in the $300-400 range, but that could be overkill. I'd look at shops that have some kind of in-line specialty/expertise, rather than box stores: they'll have higher-quality gear, and the employees will be way more helpful and will make sure you buy the right size :D .

OK guys, suppose I get a pair of rollerblades, play floor hockey and hospitalize several people in the process, impregnate several different women, eat raw meat, burp and fart with careless abandon, shave with a switchblade and terrorize anyone who would dare throw me a disparaging glance....would I be able to buy a serviceable pair of skates for regular use in the $50-$75 range or would I have to spend somewhere north of $100 for some serviceable skates?

Depends on whether or not you are wearing spandex...

Okay; that's more like it!!

Ahem...I got mine on clearance for less than $20, but that was pure luck... :blush:

Ah, you've discovered my Achilles heel. If I'm not wearing it, I'm thinking about it. ;)^_^

A $100.00+ buy-in is a bit discouraging. :( I'm guessing comfort is the biggest factor, then probably adaptability if you want to be able to get bigger faster wheels? Maybe the best approach would be to get the most affordable skates that are comfortable, see if I would use them regularly and want to stick with it and then let experience tell me what I'd want for more/bigger/better skates if anything.

ha!

Ah, you've discovered my Achilles heel. If I'm not wearing it, I'm thinking about it. ;)^_^

• 13 years later...
On 5/20/2007 at 9:31 PM, Guest donald petersen said:

i don't think it is a good idea.

it is not really a dignified thing to be doing. peers and friends will possibly lose respect for you.

at least here on the east coast it seems to be becoming less socially acceptable, which is a welcome turn of events from a few years ago when you would have some doofus in a tank top and shades zooming by you with arms pumping.

skating in a rink...different story. knock yourself out.

the worst is when you see some skaters busting some tricks and maybe a bike guy or two popping some wheelie things and then there is a random dork in skates trying to pull off some hot moves, ie maybe hopping. and maybe jumping onto something and jumping off.

This is one of the funniest posts in the history of this forum.