Curtis Amy - The Sounds of Broadway/Hollywood

donald byrd 4 EVA

I just got this LP and was wondering if anyone knew anything about the record. Curtis with strings?!

In my opinion a "just not" record. I prefer the Pacifics and Mustang.

Very much so. I was smart enough to pass when I saw this at a shop for $20 and later received a burn of it. It just doesn't compare with the PJs and his one-off for Verve.

sad this isn't great, the line-up looks so fine: (info from

bjazz.blogspot.com great Tapscott, Cart, Bradford site)

Curtis Amy saxophones soprano et ténor

Warren Gale, Jr. trompette

Lester Robertson trombone

Horace Tapscott piano

Eddie Mathias contrebasse

Mel Lee batterie

are the two versions different? thats off for an original lp, isnt it?

and re: the strings lp- u guys must be nuts-- jay read me the liner notes, horace tapscott on piano, man this sounds great!

one's an edited down version of the other, this album is ok but no great shakes I'm afraid to say

if i wanna get early horace tapscott whats the best way to do that? espically his own arkestra material-- like from the 60s? is any of that stuff available?

got Steven Isoardi's book "The Dark Tree" on Friday and the accompanying CD has some unissued Arkestra material 4 minutes from 1969, 10 minutes from 1970, 17 great minutes from 1976, and 34 (just quintet) minutes from 1995; amazon.com has it for 19$ (from sellers, 25 from amazon) and you get a nice 300 page hardcover book (haven't read much yet besides the photos) plus a CD; would love to hear more as well, but nothing else seems to be available

are the two versions different? thats off for an original lp, isnt it?

and re: the strings lp- u guys must be nuts-- jay read me the liner notes, horace tapscott on piano, man this sounds great!

Chewy, go for the Mustang and you will enjoy yourself. It`s really your thing. ;)

Yes, you should get the book The Dark Tree.

What year is the material on West Coast Hot? 69?

All the Nimbus material is later.

Yes, WEST COAST HOT is '69. Steve Isoardi has said that some of the earlier Arkestra/Tapscott material is problematic when it comes to audio quality, condition of the tapes, etc. The disc from the book is very good, as is the book itself... well worth checking out.

Also, don't overlook Sonny Criss' 1968 lp SONNY'S DREAM--although Tapscott did not play on this date, he did the all of the writing & arranging. And he's on the Lou Blackburn Connoisseur as well.

Edited by ghost of miles