New Sun Ra website

EKE BBB

Full-length audio clips! :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

This one is killer: http://www.jazzdocumentation.ch/audio/rsrf/riverboat.ram

Red Saunders and his Orchestra: Red Saunders (d, ldr); Sonny Cohn (tp); Fip Ricard (tp); Marty Martinez (tb); Harlan "Booby" Floyd (tb); Porter Kilbert (as); Leon Washington (ts); Mac [McKinley] Easton (bars); Earl Washington (p); Jimmy Richardson (b); Sun Ra (arr).

Universal Recording, Chicago, December 31, 1953

BL-54102 Riverboat (Clark Terry)

Blue Lake 101, Chess CHV 415, Bellaphon [G] BJS4032, Empire Musicwerks CD-N1

bluelake101b.jpg

Between Sun 5 and Sun 6 on this discography, it is mentioned that Sun Ra played in strip clubs in Calumet City, in trios.

Bassist Richard Davis has lectured on this in his jazz history classes at the University of Wisconsin, and has also written to me privately. He played with Sun Ra at strip clubs in Calumet City during the same time period. He said that Sun Ra would spend the entire night reading books, while playing piano at the same time, never missing a note.

In Richard Davis' privately released CD "Reminisces" (which contains some fantastic arco bass solo recordings by Davis), he includes a 1950 photo in the liner booket of Sun Ra sitting in his family's living room.

Richard also used to love to tell the story to his jazz history class about how he was drafted into the Army around 1950, and Sun Ra told him exactly what to say at the induction center to get kicked out, which worked.

Richard also used to love to tell the story to his jazz history class about how he was drafted into the Army around 1950, and Sun Ra told him exactly what to say at the induction center to get kicked out, which worked.

:) love the story how sun ra banned the rain from the moers festival during his performance

http://www.dpo.uab.edu/~moudry/articles/moers.htm

(did davis say whether what he told the induction center had to do with magic as well)

some surprising names in that discography, freddie hubbard, yusef lateef, wes motgomery...

:) love the story how sun ra banned the rain from the moers festival during his performance

http://www.dpo.uab.edu/~moudry/articles/moers.htm

(did davis say whether what he told the induction center had to do with magic as well)

some surprising names in that discography, freddie hubbard, yusef lateef, wes motgomery...

Richard Davis did not mention magic as part of what he told them at the induction center. Mostly, he repeated over and over again that he refused to fire a gun and other things of that sort, with a certain uniquely intense manner. He never spoke in that manner again in my presence, so I assume that part of what Sun Ra taught him was how to say it.

Looks like an amazing site! I'm going to have to peruse it when I'm back at work, as it's taking too long for my home computer to download all of the images. I'm assuming the Hubbard/Montgomery is from the Arkestra's appearance at the Senate Avenue YMCA in Indianapolis; Freddie & Wes were rumored to have sat in.

In Richard Davis' privately released CD "Reminisces" (which contains some fantastic arco bass solo recordings by Davis), he includes a 1950 photo in the liner booket of Sun Ra sitting in his family's living room.

Very cool CD & one that I'm assuming saw pretty limited distribution; I happened across it in a box of giveaway items that a previous employee had assembled at the station, picking it up and thinking, "Can't be the Richard Davis..." but it was.

Very cool CD & one that I'm assuming saw pretty limited distribution; I happened across it in a box of giveaway items that a previous employee had assembled at the station, picking it up and thinking, "Can't be the Richard Davis..." but it was.

I think it had very limited distribution. Richard released it himself. He mailed a copy to my house, so that's how it was distributed to me.

I think that the arco bass selections at the beginning of the CD rank with any in recorded jazz history.

I think it had very limited distribution. Richard released it himself. He mailed a copy to my house, so that's how it was distributed to me.

I think that the arco bass selections at the beginning of the CD rank with any in recorded jazz history.

Richard Davis is one of my favorite bassists -- no, make that jazz musicians on any instrument. Where can I get me one of these?

Richard Davis is one of my favorite bassists -- no, make that jazz musicians on any instrument. Where can I get me one of these?

I would email him at rdavis1@facstaff.wisc.edu, and ask him for one.

This email address comes from his website.

Thanks!

Thanks!

He gets a ton of email and letters from former students, as he has been very well liked as a professor at the University of Wisconsin since 1977. He tries to respond to all of them, sometimes with a one sentence reply on a postcard, but he does respond.

To put your request for the CD at the top of his list of mailings to respond to, some enthusiastic words about your love of his music wouldn't hurt. Also, he puts on a very low cost several day bass clinic every spring for elementary through high school students, and pays for any shortfall in funds out of his own pocket. Some of his friends have made sporadic attempts to raise funds for him for that annual clinic, but the fundraising effort is not very aggressive, from what I can tell. If you enclose a check payable to "Richard Davis Foundation For Young Bassists", your request will most certainly be noticed. The amount of your check can be deducted as a charitable contribution.

He doesn't know I am suggesting this, and he would not suggest it. All I am saying is that if you really want the CD, this is the specific way to truly get his attention in a major way.

jesus

Well, the CD is unique and important in the history of jazz bass playing, is very hard to find, was pressed in very limited quantities, and you are dealing with a very busy guy with no staff to help him.

If I have made chewy speechless, I must have done something wrong there, so I am trying to explain myself.

Thanks!

He gets a ton of email and letters from former students, as he has been very well liked as a professor at the University of Wisconsin since 1977. He tries to respond to all of them, sometimes with a one sentence reply on a postcard, but he does respond.

To put your request for the CD at the top of his list of mailings to respond to, some enthusiastic words about your love of his music wouldn't hurt. Also, he puts on a very low cost several day bass clinic every spring for elementary through high school students, and pays for any shortfall in funds out of his own pocket. Some of his friends have made sporadic attempts to raise funds for him for that annual clinic, but the fundraising effort is not very aggressive, from what I can tell. If you enclose a check payable to "Richard Davis Foundation For Young Bassists", your request will most certainly be noticed. The amount of your check can be deducted as a charitable contribution.

He doesn't know I am suggesting this, and he would not suggest it. All I am saying is that if you really want the CD, this is the specific way to truly get his attention in a major way.

Thanks again!