paul mccartney : memory almost full

etherbored

sound samples of the forthcoming post-emi mccartney recording ('memory almost full') here... i've no soundcard at the moment. what's it all about? my expecations are low.

514.jpg

Cliched lyrics - lot's of them.

Voice sounds worse than on the last album on a few cuts (even though this one was recorded before it, right?)

Tunes generally sound interesting (save for a few outright turds) - I will probably get it (but not expecting greatness). It's so hard to tell with him - he has the maddening ability to sound great and lousy all in the same song (see below).

I genuinely enjoyed his last one - this sounds like it has the potential to equal it. I had previously only heard the single which is very good and very crappy at the same time.

It's so hard to tell with him - he has the maddening ability to sound great and lousy all in the same song

You know, this basically sums of most of Sir Paul's solo career for me. He has this incredible ability to write really inventive, interesting melodies and chord progressions; but for me, all of the great ideas and fragments rarely add up to a truly great song. His throwaway lyrics don't help matters either, although he has written some great lyrics. I gave up on him ages ago, and although I was surprised by a few tracks on his last few albums, I have no desire to spin them again.

It's so hard to tell with him - he has the maddening ability to sound great and lousy all in the same song.

You really hit the nail on the head there.

Even during the Beatles period McCartney perpetrated some appauling crud: "Hello Goodbye," "Maxwell's Silver Hammer," "Ob-La-De," "Fixing A Hole"---signs of things to come.

Edited by BruceH

It's so hard to tell with him - he has the maddening ability to sound great and lousy all in the same song.

You really hit the nail on the head there.

Even during the Beatles period McCartney perpetrated some appauling crud: "Hello Goodbye," "Maxwell's Silver Hammer," "Ob-La-De," "Fixing A Hole"---signs of things to come.

Hey, Fixing a Hole's a brilliant tune!!! I'd replace it with When I'm sixty four in the list of crud McCartney

Aside from Ob La Di Ob La Da, I like all those songs. Though "Hello Goodbye" isn't one of my favorites. I've never understood the venom directed toward "Maxwell's Silver Hammer".

Guy

Edited by Guy

Nah, two chances is enough; I saw him live when he was doin' the CHAOS tour (and let it be known here that I won both the CHAOS CD and the concert tix from a radio show; were it not for that, I might never have even considered buying CHAOS). It was a nice show, honestly. So much so that after the concert, I went and found DRIVING RAIN and FLAMING PIE cheap/used; was reminded again why it was a waste of time to investigate his solo work the first time around (Beatles infatuation, 1987-88).

Oh come on, Maxwell's Silver Hammer is AWESOME!

I find the chorus melody a bit anoying but it's redeemed by the fact that he's singing about a psychopath routinely hacking peoples to death with a surgical mallet. Nice and twisted. I wonder if he drank milk and listened to Beethoven?

110366316_79a5921bf2.jpg