How do you estimate the value of your record collection

I recall my policy being inflexible in terms of how the units are valued - I think it is at the average price of a new cd times the number of cds.

BTW, these policies typically have rather low limits - i.e. if you have a huge collection, only a small percentage will be covered. At least that is the case in New York City.

If you own a home it's probably covered under your homeowner's insurance. If you have a huge collection with a lot of rare or OOP CDs you may want to check with your agent and they may suggest a rider to cover them. In any event, you'll probably want an accurate and up to date inventory list and may want to file that with the insurance agent. I'd be curious to know how an insurance company would evaluate the value as I'm sure there are probably a lot of irreplacables and wouldn't make it under "replacement cost".

My home is insured with no special provision for the record collection.

If thieves manage to intrude, they won't bother with the records. Too much of a problem (and too many of them) to take it out.

If there is a fire, I presume we will have much bigger problems to take care of than shed tears about records.

I smile to the neighborhood firefighters whenever I run into them :)

If thieves manage to intrude, they won't bother with the records. Too much of a problem (and too many of them) to take it out.

If there is a fire, I presume we will have much bigger problems to take care of than shed tears about records.

My feelings exactly.

I can appreciate that, but having suffered through water entering my basement, where the only thing of value that was damaged was a large portion of my music collection - I have a slightly different take. Of course in the end it does not matter because flood damage is excluded anyway.

Thanks folks. I have a home & contents insurance but the value of the contents didn't include anything for the records. But I recently realised that the probable value of the collection is about equal to what I've got under contents.

The advert quoted in the other thread is interesting. I wonder if anyone does it in Britain? Or if an American firm would accept a British risk.

MG

Of course, when we're talking about lives.

But the other material things in a home will probably be much easier to replace than a collection (of anything).

Edited by Claude

...I add a great smile to my neighbours, hoping they will promptly call the firefighters. :)

Edited by porcy62