Bobby Hutcherson's Medina

tcd74

As someone who started seriously getting into jazz a couple of years ago I've attempted to pick up as much product as possible. Because of their limited edition status I have been trying to complete the Blue Note Connoisseur series. The one title that seems to be hard to locate is Bobby Hutcherson's Medina (I'm missing one other for the set but it's still relatively easy to acquire). Anyways I have two questions.

1- In everybody's expert opinion is this title worth me spending big bucks to get? On Ebay they can get pretty pricey when they do pop up, infrequently.

2- What are the chances of this being reissued as an RVG? With people willing to spend large sums of money on it you'd think there would be a market for it. Kind of like when Blue Note reissued Lee Morgan's Leeway as an RVG even though it had been a Connoiseur.

Any help would be appreciated.

Todd

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the two sessions were from the late 60s, rather than the 70s. I also think they are the last sessions in any way similar Hutcherson's classic earlier albums. Already one year later, "San Fransisco" was a step towards the ever-blander lite-jazz albums to come, not so much in sound, but in spirit.

"Medina" is a worthwhile disc, but not at any cost. Get it if you are a fan of Hutcherson or Land. But the OOP "Total Eclipse" is much, much better.

Edited by Daniel A

I found this used at a fairly reasonable price. As such, I'm happy with it, but I wouldn't want to pay more than, oh, $15 or $20 for it.

Also, up til recently, I would have said that eventually EVERYTHING on Blue Note will be reissued as an RVG, but now with the sale of EMI, who knows.

The Hutcherson sessions with Land or Spaulding and Corea or Cowell have always held a special place in my collection. I like them all. Hunted quite a few years for the LP, and got the CD as soon as it was out.

But I agree that Total Eclipse is the best. It's overdue for reissue.

I like Medina quite a bit, but I like everything from the Hutch-Land collabortion. I second Total Eclipse, very nice date, but probably harder to find than Medina. I was lucky enough to find a copy of Total Eclipse used for $10 a couple of years ago, so miracles do happen. If you don't have Patterns, that's another nice one from that era. Again, if you can find these at reasonable prices, go for it! I would suggest checking used cd stores as I've seen Patterns at least three times over the years.

I was lucky enough to pick up Patterns off of Ebay a couple of weeks ago for $25 but haven't got it in the mail yet. Really looking forward to it.

As for Medina the last one on Ebay went for around $60 plus about a month ago. There hasn't been another one on since. On Amazon Canada the cheapest one is $70. On Amazon US the cheapest one is $50. And Amazon UK is 40 pounds. To get for $15-20 is a great deal. I guess I can dream.

Todd

Guest donald petersen

the peace-maker is also a good one for land/hutcherson. better than i expected.

i think there is a thread about it. some of the organissimo board higher ups don't love it.

I was lucky enough to pick up Patterns off of Ebay a couple of weeks ago for $25 but haven't got it in the mail yet. Really looking forward to it.

As for Medina the last one on Ebay went for around $60 plus about a month ago. There hasn't been another one on since. On Amazon Canada the cheapest one is $70. On Amazon US the cheapest one is $50. And Amazon UK is 40 pounds. To get for $15-20 is a great deal. I guess I can dream.

Todd

Yes, you're starting to make me feel really lucky!

Todd

I feel really, really lucky, then. I got mine in a cut-out bin at the music store across the street from where I work!

Todd

I feel really, really lucky, then. I got mine in a cut-out bin at the music store across the street from where I work!

I guess I'm sorta of lucky as I bought both Patterns and Medina when the first cd issues of them came out. Total Eclipse was the icing on the cake-found used for 10 smackers.

i think there is a thread about it. some of the organissimo board higher ups don't love it.

I got this not too long ago as a Japanese CD and it's one of my favorites among the Hutch/Land stuff.

I got this not too long ago as a Japanese CD and it's one of my favorites among the Hutch/Land stuff.

Peace Maker is just fine IMO,

Todd

I guess I'm sorta of lucky as I bought both Patterns and Medina when the first cd issues of them came out. Total Eclipse was the icing on the cake-found used for 10 smackers.

Yeah, I made a point of grabbing all of the Hutcherson's 60's stuff back when it was in print. I had no idea his OOP cds were commanding such prices on ebay.

Total Eclipse has the weirdest sound. It's like they added fake reverb afterwards, which explains why I don't listen to it that much. Good session though.

Most recordings have "fake" reverb. In this case it might have been applied a bit carelessly, though. The sound in general is muddy. Original vinyl is not better in this regard. If anything, the otherwise so-so French DMM pressings sound OK in the case of this particular album.

However, the music itself is excellent. The playing sounds more varied and dynamic than on the other collaborations of Hutcherson/Land. In a good sense, it doesn't really sound like a late 60s Blue Note album.

Most recordings have "fake" reverb. In this case it might have been applied a bit carelessly, though. The sound in general is muddy. Original vinyl is not better in this regard. If anything, the otherwise so-so French DMM pressings sound OK in the case of this particular album.

However, the music itself is excellent. The playing sounds more varied and dynamic than on the other collaborations of Hutcherson/Land. In a good sense, it doesn't really sound like a late 60s Blue Note album.

The Total Eclipse CD (if found) sounds perfectly fine, it is a remix by Malcolm Addey, the only possible complaint is that, due to the state of digital equipment at the time it was remastered, Harold Land sounds a bit on the metallic side.

Total Eclipse is an absolute stone classic and should be at the top of the list for an RVG remaster, but my suspicion is - since they originally did a remix for the first CD issue which was very unusual at the time - there are master tape issues, or at least, the sound of the masters (reverb) are at issue.

I played Total Eclipse this morning to listen for the reverb (I don't want to derail the thread because its the music not the sonics that we're discussing) and did not notice the reverb so much on the first two tracks, but starting with 'Matrix' on its very evident. It also reminded me what a great album this is. Does anyone else have the original cd issue (not the CC reissue) where if you look at the bottom of the cd, there's a bunch of tiny little dots all over it? Is that part of the manufacturing process or is this cd just getting old. Strange.

The Total Eclipse CD (if found) sounds perfectly fine, it is a remix by Malcolm Addey, the only possible complaint is that, due to the state of digital equipment at the time it was remastered, Harold Land sounds a bit on the metallic side.

Total Eclipse is an absolute stone classic and should be at the top of the list for an RVG remaster, but my suspicion is - since they originally did a remix for the first CD issue which was very unusual at the time - there are master tape issues, or at least, the sound of the masters (reverb) are at issue.

Yeah, it would be a logical move to RVG Total Eclipse next, since they've redone Happenings and Oblique (never thought I see that one RVG'd). My guess is that if they do another Hutch date, they would choose Stick Up first (although I'm fine with the sound on that one). Components could improve from an RVG treatment too, but it doesn't appear that one is on the RVG radar. I don't think Medina or Patterns were popular enough to see a reissue (they vanished pretty fast, especially Medina), which again is a shame, since both albums are very very good.