SEVEN PIECES by The Jimmy Giuffre 3

Titatichou

Hi fans of Jimmy Giuffre/Jim Hall/Jazz!

Jimmy giuffre recorded an album that never been reissued on CD, SEVEN PIECES is the title, 1959 With Jim Hall and Red Mitchel under VERVE label. That was just before THE EASY WAY (and i just as good). Verve told me that they don’t plan to print it on CD... So I been connecting with every Jimmy Giuffre and Jim Hall fans to aks theme to send an e-mail to contact@vervemusicgroup.com to invite theme to do so. SEVEN PIECES is a very personal and important work in Mr. Giuffre's career, It deserve recognition! Fred, Montreal

Edited by Titatichou

I did not realize that '7 Pieces' had not been reissued on CD.

It's one of Giuffre's best album. A folksy happy-sounding album which was reissued on vinyl in a replica version by Polydor France in the early 80s when they got hold of the Verve catalogue. Polydor reissued most of the Giuffre material on Verve at the time.

The sound (recording engineer was Bones Howe) is superb, better than on the Atlantic recordings.

A complete Giuffre Verve box would be one of the better Mosaic future releases. Since the Mosaic website now has a wishlist, it's time to make good use of it!

Since the Mosaic website now has a wishlist, it's time to make good use of it!

To the best of my understanding, you can add to the wish list only sets which have already been released and you want to order them in the future. This is not for special requests. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by B. Goren.

Since the Mosaic website now has a wishlist, it's time to make good use of it!

To the best of my understanding, you can add to the wish list only sets which have already been released and you want to order them in the future. This is not for special requests. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Bentsy, you're right!

Should have cheched first. Have registered on that list now and yes it's for the Mosaics sets you're planning to order.

Might be a good idea for Mosaic to open a real 'Wish List' where people could suggest future projects!

Edited by brownie

A mosaic box would be nice, but I think VERVE should reissue SEVEN PIECES anyway.

To me Jimmy Giuffre was at his best on Verve, and Those recordings were much more well recorded than his Atlantic session.

I contacted with many Giuffre's fans lately and asked theme to send an E-mail to contact@vervemusicgroup.com, most of theme agreed, so I think Verve can't iggnore it anymore.

I just think it's crasy that this album been out of the marquet for like 27 years!!!

I have an other question: On the liner note of Seven Pieces it's written:

In October of 1956, The J.G.3, has its first rehearsal at Harry Jones' Studio in

hollywood. The personal was the same as it is on this record: j.Hall, guitar; Red

Mitchell, Bass: and Jimmy Giuffre, clarinet, tenor and baritone.

Anyone ever heard about this session?

Thanks! Fred

I've been a fan of Giuffre's for what seems a long time (ten years), but it's really not that long at all! It does seem strange that Seven Pieces isn't even on iTunes, but maybe there's still hope. Of course, I'd prefer an individual CD reissue too, but am unfortunately skeptical what with jazz reissue programs these days.

I think our best bet is a Mosaic: The Complete Verve Jimmy Giuffre Sessions. How big a set would this be, and what would it contain? I'd prefer a "leader only" set, but Giuffre co-led and played on some other Verve sessions ...

Didn't the Andorans just release a "new" Giuffre 3 package? A live set with Jim Hall?

Thank you rare Fans of Giuffre.

Didn't the Andorans just release a "new" Giuffre 3 package? A live set with Jim Hall?

I just got a copie of Jimmy giuffre quartet Live in 1960, it's from Jazz beat, is it this one you talk about.

Well, it's realy nice, first show is Quartet with drummer Billy Osborne, wich I realy enjoyed. This show was first A LP from Verve call Jimmy Giuffre in Person, secound part of the Reissue is Trio, still with Jim Hall and seams to be the same as OLYPIA 1960...

what would be on Mosaic boxset: Am only a fan of his small group works, EASY WAY, Seven Pieces, Ad Lib (never heard it), Fusion, Thesis... what else, his the one with singer woman is under his name?

Yes I think it may take a loooong time beffore Verve come out with Senven Pieces.

It does seem strange that Seven Pieces isn't even on iTunes

There is nothing on the net I think. Anyone ever heard it?

Yes the cover is realy cool!

Best

Edited by Titatichou

A complete Giuffre Verve box would be one of the better Mosaic future releases.

Since I consider the earlier Mosaic Giuffre box, the complete Capitol/Atlantic, to be a gem, I must agree.

I suggested a Complete Verve Jimmy Giuffre Sessions box (and also a Complete Verve Lee Konitz Sessions box) to Mosaic a couple of years ago and they said they were interested - but that was all.

Edited by J.A.W.

A complete Giuffre Verve box would be one of the better Mosaic future releases.

Since I consider the earlier Mosaic Giuffre box, the complete Capitol/Atlantic, to be a gem, I must agree.

I suggested a Complete Verve Jimmy Giuffre Sessions box (and also a Complete Verve Lee Konitz Sessions box) to Mosaic a couple of years ago and they said they were interested - but that was all.

I suspect Verve has not been terribly cooperative.

Titatichou already replied to this.

To elaborate, the 'Live in 1960' CD

51dt0sPUQ1L._AA240_.jpg

is a boot of the Verve album 'In Person' and even has the same photo by Lee Friedlander on its cover.

It also adds the four tunes from the February 25, 1960 Paris concert (with Jim Hall and Wilford Middlebrooks) that were included in the Jimmy Giuffre Live CD from Trema that I'm sure you already have ;)

is thius that 3rd stream garbage jimmyu giffufuere or is this bomb ass bebop wcj jimmy guiffre. j.g. totally sold out and started dippin into that whole avant gardge bag: fuck that: the best jimmy guiffree is when he is with the lightohuse allstars playing bebop. he was nutz to get into that whole trio bag, not the one w/ jim hall, the one after that, in the mid 60s- fucking bullshit. i lost all respect for him after that. he should get back to his arranging and wcj roots

I'm more of a fan of his trio featuring Jim Hall, but i respect and enjoy his Free Jazz works to. To me FUSION stands in his most beautyfull recordings. Am not a free Jazz fan, but Giuffre could do it in a way that it's still relaxing.

Edited by Titatichou

What's The Andorrans?

Labels like Disconforme, Definitive and Lone Hill Jazz. They are based in Andorra and they take other label's masterings and use them for their own releases. There are a few labels like that in the U.K. too (JSP, Proper).

Edited by J.A.W.

What's The Andorrans?

Labels like Disconforme, Definitive and Lone Hill Jazz. They are based in Andorra and they take other label's masterings and use them for their own releases. There are a few labels like that in the U.K. too (JSP, Proper).

Those 'Andorran' labels operate out of Barcelona and they are actually Spanish operations. They just have a mailing adress in Andorra to make use of the easy-on-taxes laws that prevail in Andorra.

Andorra is some 200 kilometers north of Barcelona.

Thanks, I didn't know about these labels.

This is the liner note of SEVEN PIECES,(I typed so there is probably some mistakes):

One who asspires to becoming a creative artist often finds that the natural way for

him to express himself is through his own rather than given material. It somehow

alows him to mouve in any direction with more spontaneity; and there's a close

relationship between creativeness and spontaneity.

Another great help toward a more unified and complete expression is for him to

have the time to continue with the work several hours each day throughout a project.

The composer of 7 Pieces of music was given and took a full advantage of the

opportunity to follow both these procedures here. These are seven original

compositions-all written during the latter part of January and the first part of Febrery

of 1959. Seven diverse types of moods, tempos, forms, melodies and rhythms

were explored- eachpiece being removed from the others in many ways. And the

complete set is a departure, by the composer, from his previous work; the general

approch being similar to his earlier work but with many new flavors and

dissonances appearing.

It may help the listener toward a richer experience if he fully realizes the composers'

outlook toward a composition approch. Althought he gladly admits to a deep love for,

inspiration from, amd influence by many types of music -from acient Hindu to the

more contemporary classicsl and jazz -his aspiration in his own work is to invent rather

than carry forth any tradition. His primary desire is for each piece to be the first,

an engrossing and second, a unique experience for the litener.

In October of 1956, The J.G.3, has its first rehearsal at Harry Jones' Studio in

hollywood. The personal was the same as it is on this record: j.Hall, guitar; Red

Mitchell, Bass: and Jimmy Giuffre, clarinet, tenor and baritone. J.Hall has been with

The J.G.3 for the past two and a half years. Red Mitchell was not able to continue

past that first rehearsal, but was finally captured for 7 Pieces. Another equally

important contribution to the album was having a jazz-oriented recording engineer,

Bones Howe, for the dates. It's all yours...

Jimmy giuffre