Jazz Record Store

Jazz Kat

Has anyone ever been to the Jazz Record Store in Manhattan? I think it should just be called the Jazz Store since there are so much more than records. But the records are the best part. I took a trip to the JRS yesterday. I had been there once before. Maybe a little overpriced, but well worth it. Rows and rows of great jazz lp's. If anyone's ever in NY, they should stop by. I walked out with some Modern Jazz Quartet, Jim Hall, Bobby Hutcherson, and Gerry Niewood. Next to Amoeba in Hollywood, this place is heaven! They also have just about every issue of Downbeat ever made. Anybody else ever go?

He does want "collector's" prices on most stuff but its a cool way to blow an hour or two looking through the merchandise. Way back when, he was a good source for Japanese BN vinyl on things that you never figured would see the light of day on CD. I also recall a promotion he ran where a $100 purchase got you a set of Herman Leonard "Images of Jazz" posters - Miles, Bird, and Monk. I spent so much he gave me two of each. One set went to Sally White of Sally's Place in Westport, CT and the other has been hanging over my desk ever since.

I've been there--a great store. In fact, on my last trip to New York, I went three times. It is a little hard to find if you haven't been there before (it's closer to 8th Avenue and on the 8th floor, with no exterior sign).

Edited by kh1958

Actually--their prices on CDs are better than the usual retail outlets in alot of cases--many CDs are $10--the Classics label is only $13, for example (the best price I've ever found in the U.S).

And they also have vintage LPs that are reasonably priced--I bought five 60s era Prestige and Riversides for only $15 each, for example.

They also have the best collection of jazz books and discographies I've ever seen.

Guest donald petersen

definitely not one of my favorite places in nyc to go shopping for jazz LPs!

pricey and i like a place with a turntable where you can take a listen.

Guest donald petersen

in lieu of supporting the scum who runs bleecker street bobs, you could check out subteranean records, around the corner by that karavas place greek spot up a block from the IFC theater.

I realized last night that I was really thinking of Bleecker St. Records when I said BS Bob's. BS Bob really is ridiculous... I had no idea my Treacherous 3 LP would be worth $450 even if I were to run it over with a truck...

I've been going to Subteranean for many years - maybe 10. The selection is not what it once was, but it is still a cool shop. I think ebay has hurt their business a lot. BTW, they have an original pressing of One Step Beyond in the bins right now, but the cover is pretty chewed up and there are at least two unidentified species of fungi growing on it. Only $25, though - I have to admit I thought about it for a second...

Guest donald petersen

but not in a pretentious way but because you will be paying max money for crappy condition LPs.

jarsen, i like bleecker street records also but is it still open down there? its so gross going through those records and so many are in terrible condition but there were always cheaply priced gems in those bins.

but not in a pretentious way but because you will be paying max money for crappy condition LPs.

jarsen, i like bleecker street records also but is it still open down there? its so gross going through those records and so many are in terrible condition but there were always cheaply priced gems in those bins.

Yes, I was there yesterday. They had a thick collection of Buck Clayton jam records, which I passed on. I didn't notice anything else. They used to always have a bunch of Impulse vinyl, but not lately - I think that stuff all goes straight to ebay. Their punk/indie vinyl section is still pretty good, if you're ever looking for that. For instance, they have just about all the SST that you could ever want for about $10/album, which is about what they cost in, oh, 1992...

Man, once upon a time I had every worthwhile (IMO) record on all those labels. Sold off the collection to fund college expenses (kept all the minutemen records, though - couldn't bear to part with them even though it's almost all on cd).

The one thing on Homestead that I always wanted but never got was Volcano Suns/Bright Orange Years. I still half heartedly look for that one whenever I flip through the bins.