Jazz Record Store

Jazz Kat

Guest donald petersen

you could check out academy records (not the used CD and classical LP one)...there are two to check out...one is on east 10th or 11th off of 4th avenue and the other is on north 6th street a few blocks from the water (kent street) in brooklyn (williamsburg). the sound library is also a good place and recently moved-it is now on uh either orchard street or ludlow street, if i remember. down in the lower east side. and like i said, subteranean records is decent but small. bleecker street records used to be decent for finding some cheaper less mint stuff-not sure if they still carry LPs. seemed like the downstairs was closed a lot. i think jarsen said he was recently there. it is over by joe's pizza so you can also grab a slice.

Right - Academy is okay, but the condition of their stock has been pretty crappy lately, in my experience. It is a once every month or two stop for me.

I've never noticed much jazz at Sound Library.

Other Music can be pretty good, but the jazz section is a bit of a footnote. That being said, I saw Cosmic Music on Coltrane records in excellent condition there once for $60.

Downtown Music Gallery currently has all the Sun Ra and Ornette records on Impulse, with prices ranging from $75 - $100.

Very, very occassionally Kim's on St Marks will have some interesting stuff, but you have to wade through tons of crap to find it and it is usually in poor condition and priced above the market for NM.

Like I said, there are places here and there with small sections where you can occassionally make a great find, but other than JRC nothing is going to be a major revelation for you.

Edited by J Larsen

you could check out academy records (not the used CD and classical LP one)...there are two to check out...one is on east 10th or 11th off of 4th avenue and the other is on north 6th street a few blocks from the water (kent street) in brooklyn (williamsburg). the sound library is also a good place and recently moved-it is now on uh either orchard street or ludlow street, if i remember. down in the lower east side. and like i said, subteranean records is decent but small. bleecker street records used to be decent for finding some cheaper less mint stuff-not sure if they still carry LPs. seemed like the downstairs was closed a lot. i think jarsen said he was recently there. it is over by joe's pizza so you can also grab a slice.

Joe's Pizza--very good.

Guest donald petersen

i find downtown music gallery vinyl overpriced.

yeah i mean i don't go to academy every day...you are correct that the stock doesn't seem to change much. but one or twice a month..you could find something interesting.

i used to find a lot at the sound library, though it can be pricey too.

Guest donald petersen

actually...i kind of like the pizza box better than joes. maybe because i grew up on it.

pizza box is a block or two away down bleecker.

there was a place westwards a few blocks away from joes called goodfellas which was also really good but i hear they just changed the name. if the pizza is the same, it is also a contender.

don't get me wrong-i ate 3 joes slices on saturday night. it is good. but they have an "ego" there i don't find at the pizza box, which also has an outdoor area and beer.

Lombardi's has been my local delivery place for the last four years, but they haven't been very consistent since they expanded (they are at least six times as big as they used to be). They are still occassionally great, thought. Joe's is great but too long of a wait. Pizza Box... I don't know, dude...

I saw it right when they opened one day, at 10am or 11am on a weekday. My heart leaped. I was a grad student at the time. Rent consumed about 75% of my stipend. I thought I would go back to my office and think about it. For the next 90 minutes, I could think of nothing else, so I decided to go back to the store and find out if my mastercard was still working. When I got there, the record was gone.

I would have SHIT myself on a $60 private-press edition of Cosmic Music.

Depends I guess on whether or not it is the first or second edition but either way I would have had the same reaction. For the first edition AU-4950 (I think Chuck said that he sold his for loadsamoney) for sure. :excited:

Edited by sidewinder

Guest donald petersen

princeton record exchange is ok.

it is worth a visit every few months.

the jazz section is large but not really stocked with interesting items, IMO.

or at least it hasn't been on my visits.

usually got for a few random jazz CDs and a few random LPs and it's a nice drive down there.

You guys never make the trek down to the Princeton Record Exchange? I haven't bought vinyl there (or anywhere) in years, but I do stop in every few months.

When I was at Princeton I made it there at least once a day and often more! Great shop. Perhaps the only thing good about that town. Always sort of wondered where their stock was coming from.

You guys never make the trek down to the Princeton Record Exchange? I haven't bought vinyl there (or anywhere) in years, but I do stop in every few months.

When I was at Princeton I made it there at least once a day and often more! Great shop. Perhaps the only thing good about that town. Always sort of wondered where their stock was coming from.

They compete with Academy as one of the biggest buyers of collections in the area.

I used to go more often pre-Y2K.

They compete with Academy as one of the biggest buyers of collections in the area.

I used to go more often pre-Y2K.

I would have stopped going in 1999. We probably rubbed shoulders there, as I was there all the time.

did you check brownie's link?

Yeah I did, but the show is so far away. I was wondering how I find out about other record shows, possibly ones that are coming up sooner.

I bookmarked the Record Collector's Guild site a long time ago. They have a forum where people post about upcoming record shows:

http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org/index...3276855a74a017d