Buying LPs for dummies

ASNL77

Here we go. I have been buying LPs for quite some time now but I still feel like a beginner compared to the few experts we have around here. I thought we could have a thread for one-off questions related to the world of vinyl......

I will start with that one: Can somebody explain the difference between 2 eye and 6 eye records for the Columbia label?

The two-eyes are generally of a mid to late 60s vintage (after about 1963ish I think). 6-eyes were before that. The 6-eyes also had deep grooves, which were missing on the two-eye pressings.

Both can be very good. I like the two-eyes LPs of Miles 60s quintet and Monk, for example.

Edited by sidewinder

Are they both original pressings? In other words can you find albums in the 2eye and the 6eye version? I recently bought a Miles Smiles 6eyes (sorry about the alliteration.... :blush: ) that sounds great! A bit silly of me to buy this as I have the Mosaic set but the price was too tempting and I like the cover art!

Edited by ASNL77

Are they both original pressings? In other words can you find albums in the 2eye and the 6eye version? I recently bought a Miles Smiles 6eye (sorry about the alliteration.... :blush: ) that sounds great! A bit silly of me to buy this as I have the Mosaic set but the price was too tempting and I like the cover art!

As with any label, it depends on when it was first released and how long it stayed in the catalog. So, you can have an early Miles Davis album with several label changes over the years.

It gets difficult when an album was released right on the cusp of when they were switching designs.

Also, there are (slight) variations with both the 2 and 6 eye labels.

Are they both original pressings? In other words can you find albums in the 2eye and the 6eye version? I recently bought a Miles Smiles 6eye (nice alliteration.... :blush: ) that sounds great! A bit silly of me to buy this as I have the Mosaic set but the price was too tempting and I like the cover art!

The last of the Miles 6-eyes that I was aware of are the 'Blackhawk' and 'Someday My Prince Will Come' LPs (which are also sometimes seen in later 2-eye pressings - I have the latter for example). All the later LPs were 2-eye in first pressings, to the best of my knowledge.

I have the 'Miles Smiles' in a pristine 2-eye and that one is a first pressing (at least I hope it is :unsure: ).

Don't feel bad about buying both the originals and the Mosaic LPs. There's a strong case to be made for picking up both (not least for the alternates etc. on the Mosaics).

By the way, the 2-eye stereos usually also have 'Stereo 360 Degree Sound' plastered over the top of the labels.

Edited by sidewinder

It took me ages to work out what DG, flat edge, flip-backs were and even longer the variations on the grading system and what the hell they mean ( anything to anyone)

On Columbias I have a couple that have the 6eye label but in red/white rather than red/black, what were they about ?

Oops... The Miles Smiles I have is the 2 eye stereo version ( CS 9401). 'Columbia' and '360 sound' written in white and 'Miles Smiles Miles Davis Quintet' written in black. 1st or 2nd pressing? :wacko:

Edited by ASNL77

Get a Goldmine Album Price Guide, a good start for dummies, tough not perfect. Not reliable about price and some minor mistakes when record companies switched labels. Minor flaw.

http://www.amazon.com/Goldmines-Price-Coll...9/dp/0873412885

Thanks Daniele. ;) I keep saying I need to buy this thing but everytime I have some money to spend I can't help buying some more music instead of investing in this book....

Edited by ASNL77

Get a Goldmine Album Price Guide, a good start for dummies, tough not perfect. Not reliable about price and some minor mistakes when record companies switched labels. Minor flaw.

http://www.amazon.com/Goldmines-Price-Coll...9/dp/0873412885

Thanks Daniele. ;) I keep saying I need to buy this thing but everytime I have some money to spend I can't help buying some more music instead of investing in this book....

You have to buy it, otherwise one of these days you'll discover that that awful expensive first pressing of Jackie MacLean is actually a cheap third pressing. :D

I have the older (smaller) editon of Goldmine's book on jazz up to 1969. I like the smaller size and since I don't really use it for prices, it tells me what I want to know in a small package. For me it's helpful in figuring out which pressing I have and what year it came out. I find mistakes in it occasionally, but overall it's pretty decent for a discography.

Moving on.... I find buying original recordings not as costly as I feared it could be but when it comes to BN, I simply can't see myself spend $200 or more for an original pressing. Is the sound difference bewteeen a King reissue and an original BN worth spending that much money?

What about the difference between King reissues and Blue Note NY? The good thing with King reissues is that the art work is often in excellent condition. :)

Edited by ASNL77