Goooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Pardon the intrusion by a non-football fan, but I just watched the first half of the West Ham-Stoke City game (second half is recording while I type this!), and I was wondering if there was some fundamental style difference between the game as played in the English Premier League (if I remember correctly) and the game as played in the World Cup. I ask because probably 99% of the games I've seen have been World Cup games, and I just couldn't get into the game. Bored me to tears. However, this game is just one heartstopper after another! Is there a difference in style, or did the game just "click" for me?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, I've been thinking about it today, and I'm sure you're right. I'd never noticed teams actually 'running plays' (if that's the correct term for this sport) before, and did last night. I think one problem I had before was that all I could see was the ball, not what the players were doing to get the ball where it was. Anyway, I'm going to have to check out this sport a bit more, that's for sure!

Pardon the intrusion by a non-football fan, but I just watched the first half of the West Ham-Stoke City game (second half is recording while I type this!), and I was wondering if there was some fundamental style difference between the game as played in the English Premier League (if I remember correctly) and the game as played in the World Cup. I ask because probably 99% of the games I've seen have been World Cup games, and I just couldn't get into the game. Bored me to tears. However, this game is just one heartstopper after another! Is there a difference in style, or did the game just "click" for me?

I didn't watch West Ham - Stoke but it wasn't a good game according to what I read in the press. World Cup games are usually more entertaining especially in the knock out stages because the losing team is out of the competition. In a league, the team playing away is often pleased with a draw which means that these games are often more tactical. Also, these two teams are not among the best ones in the English league. They are not the most attacking teams either. Try to watch the Champions League final between Manchester United and Barcelona. It should be a great game with some really amazing players on both sides.

One of the main reasons is that the World Cup has been kind of ruined by the fact that there are just too many teams/countries that qualify, it's more of a war of attrition. Although I didn't see West Ham-Stoke City, Stoke were in danger of being relegated so there would be some extra spice to the proceedings.

Try and watch Newcastle and Middlesbrough on Monday night it will be very, very interesting, it's a local derby, ie 2 clubs from the north east of England and they are both in danger of being relegated which would a disaster for both clubs for different reasons, which ever team wins it has a very good chance of staying up.

The battle to stay in the Premier League ...

Edited by Cliff Englewood

Alas, it looks like the only Premier League game on TV here Monday is a rebroadcast of the Liverpool-West Ham game, which I've already seen. (Somehow West Ham didn't look quite as impressive as against Stoke City...)

Well if they rebroadcast Newcastle and Middlesbrough, try and watch it, especially the first half, really open game and very enjoyable. The relegation battles are always very good.

I think EPL football is by far the best televised sport. Not just the game itself, but the format: no commercials, and games are typically over within two hours.

My only quibble, not having ever been a soccer player, is that I find the theatrical diving offensive, but that seems to be a greater problem in international play.

My only quibble, not having ever been a soccer player, is that I find the theatrical diving offensive, but that seems to be a greater problem in international play.

Yeah, after watching World Cup matches, I don't even notice any diving in the Premiere League. Whining to the officials, yeah. The arms wide with the incredulous stare gets a bit old.

I agree with you, though, that the time of play definitely helps. As does the no ad breaks.

• 2 weeks later...

Should be an epic clash today! For anyone who isn't a fan of this sport but has been curious, tune into ESPN2 at 2:30 ET for what should be a very memorable game. Surely, these are the two best clubs in the world. Both have been playing INCREDIBLE football, and the atmosphere in Rome should be quite intense. I will be at the wonderful Globe Pub in Chicago watching with some friends. Can't wait!

Can't say it was the greatest game i ever saw but sure happy about the result, the first 10 minutes were kinda scary, but after that a burst of genius by Iniesta and Eto'o followed by outstanding work by the Barça nidfielders and the repeat hopes were gone for MU.

:angry::angry::angry:

Should be an epic clash today! For anyone who isn't a fan of this sport but has been curious, tune into ESPN2 at 2:30 ET for what should be a very memorable game. Surely, these are the two best clubs in the world. Both have been playing INCREDIBLE football, and the atmosphere in Rome should be quite intense. I will be at the wonderful Globe Pub in Chicago watching with some friends. Can't wait!

I watched the first half and part of the second. I don't follow the sport, but both teams seemed to be playing somewhat tentatively to me. A plodding pace with quick bursts here and there. I usually catch quite a bit of the World Cup when it's on, and those games seem to be a lot more wide open than this was. In the first 10 minutes or so, I figured Man U was going to roll. Then the Barcelona goal changed the entire tone of the game.

But none of that is an informed observation by any stretch. ;)

Can't say it was the greatest game i ever saw but sure happy about the result, the first 10 minutes were kinda scary, but after that a burst of genius by Iniesta and Eto'o followed by outstanding work by the Barça nidfielders and the repeat hopes were gone for MU.

Finals never really are the greatest games, but if you didn't sit in awe of the way Barça hold on to the ball you probably will never like football. It was a lesson in the importence of possession, if you have the ball there is very little chance of the opposition doing you any damage and if you don't give it away easily there's even less chance again. United were exposed big time, they are not nearly as good as they were last year, all this "best United team ever" thing is bullshit.

Edited by Cliff Englewood

I watched the first half and part of the second. I don't follow the sport, but both teams seemed to be playing somewhat tentatively to me. A plodding pace with quick bursts here and there. I usually catch quite a bit of the World Cup when it's on, and those games seem to be a lot more wide open than this was. In the first 10 minutes or so, I figured Man U was going to roll. Then the Barcelona goal changed the entire tone of the game.

But none of that is an informed observation by any stretch. ;)

Sorry, but it was a really great game, if you found that plodding, well at least you're honest about your observations.;)

Finals never really are the greatest games, but if you didn't sit in awe of the way Barça hold on to the ball you probably will never like football. It was a lesson in the importence of possession, if you have the ball there is very little chance of the opposition doing you any damage and if you don't give it away easily there's even less chance again. United were exposed big time, they are not nearly as good as they were last year, all this "best United team ever" thing is bullshit.

Of course Barça was brilliant in terms of passing the ball,although they lacked a bit in the finishing touch department, but in terms of greatness we saw finals deliver a bit more, to have a great final imo we need some drama for that we need two teams being able to able to hurt the opponent or play at the same level. This year except for the first minutes MU was out of contention. Last year final was a fine example of a dramatic game, best example of a great final is of couse the extraordinary Liverpool-Alaves UEFA cup final that took place some years ago