Favorite packaging of box sets

Uptown's Mingus CD has a better booklet than most boxed sets do. Would love to see them do a boxed set.

That may be the most thorough booklet I have ever seen. And for a single disc! I imagine that if they ever did a box set that the booklet would dwarf the discs by a fair margin.

The same can be said for the excellent Uptown release of Alan Eager material.

I like them best in LP sized boxes - you have large format booklets with large format photos!

Yes, that's good.

My favourite box set package is a set of cassettes of the original radio broadcasts of "The hitchhiker's goide to the galaxy". I got the cassette box in preference to the CD set in 1988, simply because the packaging of the cassettes, and their size, gave a much friendlier feel to the box, very much like the "Guide" is suposed to be. And it has, of course, "Don't panic" on the top, which is useful advice.

Of course, it doesn't come with a big booklet - doesn't come with a booklet at all. Cast, credits and broadcast dates are all that there are in the way of notes.

Funnily enough, I was listening to some episodes the other day.

MG

I generally prefer large boxes with large booklets, but for aesthetic appeal, a couple of my favorites were these:

complete-billie-holiday-verve-album-art.jpg

731451765827.jpg

s101104.jpg

I particularly liked the use of different Mercury/Clef/Norgran/Verve label graphics on each disc.

11194877.gif

I liked the way the discs were stored in mini-LP facsimiles, and the attention to detail.

One thing I appreciate in a boxed set is the ability to easily figure out what (original) album a particular track or group of tracks came from (while I'm listening). With some sets, it's maddening trying to figure that out.

Except for the stupid outer box, the Jelly Roll 8CD set is nice, too. Two long-book digi-packs, fold-up, holding four CDs each, a rather big booklet, plus a paperback edition of the Jelly Roll book. You also get a PDF transcript of the whole shebang on disc 8 - I made a nice printout and had it bound in a copyshop - won't fit anywhere inside the book, but for us non-native speakers it's much easier to understand the mumbling if we can read it at the same time, too... (I know about the sound discussion, but I don't care, just in case... no audiophile ears here, alas!)