Anthony Ortega

Shannon Dickey

Been on an Ortega jag for a couple of days, can't get enough!!!

I have the Revelations, The "A Delanto" LP on Jazzz, The 10" on Herald, The LP "Jazz for Young Moderns" on Bethlehem, "Rain Dance" on Discovery,

The Hat Art CD's, The CD of "A Man and his Horns", Some stuff with Gerald Wilson, The "Jazz Cornucopia" comp. which has some material with

Tony w/ the Dick Jacobs Orchestra....and a few other CDs that I cant recall right now....Oh yeah, "Anthony Ortega on Evidence" CD.

What am I missing?

Also, what do you all feel about the Batman? Sorry if there was another similar thread.

----HB

I own two of the hat releases, which I have enjoyed, but every time I have listened to them I feel like I am missing something. It was reading raves on one of the bulletin boards a couple of years ago about New Dance!, that prompted me to check him out. Although I enjoyed it, on first listen I did not get what was supposed to be particularly significant about the recording. Around the same time I also heard a broadcast of a live performance with some French musicians that I had a fairly similar reaction to. By coincidence I recently pulled out New Dance! again for a more attentive listen as well as Scattered Clouds. No significant revision of my initial assessment, but I do think he is an interesting talent.

Have been on an Ortega kick for years. Great fan of his distinctive music and sound.

A positive fact about Ortega was that he was pretty often in France and played in clubs here a number of times.

Beside 'On Evidence', Ortega recorded several albums in France, including 'Neuf'

i_orteganeuf120.gif

a track from the CD was included in my blindfold test a couple of years ago.

The Hat Arts are among my favorites records (still have the original vinyl of 'New Dance' on Revelation!).

as it took me some clicking to find out - maybe i should put this in another thread - the same type of interview exists for 10 other artists as well, such as Clora Bryant, Cecil McNeely, Jackie Kelso and Lee Young... guess this is the right place to mention Steven Isoardis fine books (of which i know only the collette biography and the dark tree)

http://content.cdlib.org/search?keyword=is...p;style=oac-tei

another tremendously interesting item on this site is the list of 216 unreleased Horace Tapscott recordings

http://content.cdlib.org/view?docId=kt1870...t&brand=oac

they have items like this one:

[ Box 16 ]

[ Item 3 ]

Marty's on the Hill . 1960

Personnel: Horace Tapscott, piano; Jimmy Woods, alto saxophone; Arnold Palmer, drums; Al Hines, bass; Lawrence "Tricky" Lofton, trombone; Joe Gordon, trumpet; Juanita Cruz, vocalist.

Compositions: Green Dolphin Street, Take me back where I belong (Max Roach & Abby Lincoln), Summertime, Moanin'.

Niko, many thanks for providing that link to the Ortega interview. I have started exploring its content and it looks mighty interesting.

In the Ortega section there is a mention of a recording session for Pacific Jazz with Dupree Bolton that seems to have gone nowhere in spite of the fact that the musicians involved were pretty satisfied with the proceedings. Wish there is a surviving tape somewhere and that it will surface.

http://content.cdlib.org/view?docId=kt1870...t&brand=oac

they have items like this one:

[ Box 16 ]

[ Item 3 ]

Marty's on the Hill . 1960

Personnel: Horace Tapscott, piano; Jimmy Woods, alto saxophone; Arnold Palmer, drums; Al Hines, bass; Lawrence "Tricky" Lofton, trombone; Joe Gordon, trumpet; Juanita Cruz, vocalist.

Compositions: Green Dolphin Street, Take me back where I belong (Max Roach & Abby Lincoln), Summertime, Moanin'.

Jesus... my MLIS in Archives will be done in December!

Niko, many thanks for providing that link to the Ortega interview. I have started exploring its content and it looks mighty interesting.

In the Ortega section there is a mention of a recording session for Pacific Jazz with Dupree Bolton that seems to have gone nowhere in spite of the fact that the musicians involved were pretty satisfied with the proceedings. Wish there is a surviving tape somewhere and that it will surface.

chewy started a thread about this some time ago, back then someone said, the session would be on the Onzy Matthews Select, but it seems they have a session featuring Bolton and Earl Anderza instead...

Been on an Ortega jag for a couple of days, can't get enough!!!

I have the Revelations, The "A Delanto" LP on Jazzz, The 10" on Herald, The LP "Jazz for Young Moderns" on Bethlehem, "Rain Dance" on Discovery,

The Hat Art CD's, The CD of "A Man and his Horns", Some stuff with Gerald Wilson, The "Jazz Cornucopia" comp. which has some material with

Tony w/ the Dick Jacobs Orchestra....and a few other CDs that I cant recall right now....Oh yeah, "Anthony Ortega on Evidence" CD.

What am I missing?

Also, what do you all feel about the Batman? Sorry if there was another similar thread.

----HB

The "A Delanto" LP on Jazzz is part of the Nocturne archives and will be one we intend to release on CD once we get the archives remastered.

Von Babasin