September 2007 RVGs

mgraham333

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've run through this new batch a couple of times now. I was already familiar with Takin' Off, Afro-Cuban (80's CD), and Face to Face (Connoisseur) so I've been focusing more on Thad, Lou and Lee. I have to say Delightfulee is delightful. I know some don't care for Oliver Nelson's arrangements, but I really enjoy the big band versions on this one. I think the Turrentine dates do it better, but to hear Lee in this context is a treat.

It was fun hearing Papa Lou do his version....the version... of Gravy Train I first heard on the aforementioned Turrentine/Nelson combo.

I picked up the Magnificent Thad at my local Borders on the day of release (because CDU didn't clear up the USA vs Japan in time for my order...it still may show up wrong for all I know). I've had an extra day and a half with this one and all I can say is I wish I had more Thad Jones in my collection. (Is there a magic genie smiley?)

I know things are looking pretty bleak in the industry right now. Most of next week's batch are just upgrades for me. I hope the RVGs (and re-issues in general) continue.

I went through hell and back here in Chi-city to get some of this new batch this afternoon, release day. Without Tower and Virgin, the city is in sore need of a jazz oasis. Borders on State is horrible, FYE (let's not even go there) and even Jazz Record Mart didn't have the Willette. JRM had nothing! At the Borders on State I scored with KD's "Afro Cuban", "Gravy Train" and "Takin' Off" but they didn't have Baby Face! The guy working the floor says they are usually only shipped one copy! And according to the floor guys at JRM, EMI releases "always" arrive a day late. Maybe so, but if I were a jazz record shop, I'd get on the horn to EMI and find out why Borders has the RVGs on the Tuesday they are supposed to come out while I don't. I finally got my Willette at the Borders in Oak Park, but this was way more effort and schlepping around the city than I wanted to do after work on a Tuesday. Nevertheless, I am pleased as punch, especially with the Willette (at both Borders there was also an apparently newly re-released version of "Behind the Eight Ball" and "Mo Rock" on a single disc from Groove Hut Records). Still next time I will order through CD universe or Amazon. The effort wasn't worth having it 24 hours before the rest of my boys have their copies from online orders.

Bottom line though this stuff is great. It is great to finally have "Afro-Cuban" on CD and I'm enjoying "Takin' Off" for the first time. And I finally have some Fred Jackson in the collection! He is truly hootin' and tootin' on this Willette.

A lot of effort, good grief! But Baby Face is worth it, I love that CD :tup

and Kenny Burrell is still AWOL for half the album.

There is a reason for that, thanks to the always informative Bob B's extra liner notes, he is actually AWOL. He's not there, Bob reckons that he was just booked somewhere else, as he was a busy man in those days and was late for the session. Burrell is only on half the BACK AT THE CHICKEN SHACK/MIDNIGHT SPECIAL sessions, I never realised this either from the original version or notes, just thought he was quite quiet.

There is a reason for that, thanks to the always informative Bob B's extra liner notes, he is actually AWOL. He's not there, Bob reckons that he was just booked somewhere else, as he was a busy man in those days and was late for the session. Burrell is only on half the BACK AT THE CHICKEN SHACK/MIDNIGHT SPECIAL sessions, I never realised this either from the original version or notes, just thought he was quite quiet.

Bloody 'ell! I never realised that, either.

Oh well, I've got McMasters of both, so I guess, now I know the secret in the sleeve notes, I don't need to buy the RVGs :D

Thanks Guv!

MG

To confirm this, check the BN discography which shows the tracks in recording ('take') order. If Burrell is present on the later takes and not the earlier ones, then that could be correct.

Bertrand.

Well, I thought, "what a good idea". So I pulled the BN discography off the shelf, and there it was, all laid out in black & white:

Turrentine, Smith, Bailey

tk 2 A subtle one

tk 3 When I grow too old to dream

tk 5 Why was I born

tk 5A Minor chant

Kenny Burrell added. Same session

tk 7 Messy Bessie

&etc

Struth! I've had the discography for almost 20 yers and never noticed this!

MG

No. But I just looked it up in the dictionary. Neither spelling is listed

Struth! What a lousy dictionary!

MG

Strewth, you need to use dictionary.com and it's helpful links to other online dictionaries.

Strewth !!!

I've a proper poncy dictionary and it doesn't contain slang expressions.

MG

Bloody 'ell! I never realised that, either.

Oh well, I've got McMasters of both, so I guess, now I know the secret in the sleeve notes, I don't need to buy the RVGs :D

Hurray!! :excited:

Burrell's absence has always been pretty apparent, although it took me a few listenings (as a kid in the early '60's) to figure out what was going on - so it's good to see it finally acknowledged. For me, the tracks without him aren't in the same league as the others.

Another thing about the 2 albums... The covers have a "down home" Smith, but (and I think I first read this in a "Downbeat" review at the time) the crease in his pants reveals a city slicker.

The covers have a "down home" Smith, but (and I think I first read this in a "Downbeat" review at the time) the crease in his pants reveals a city slicker.

Can't see his trouser crease on "Midnight special". Yeah, but Ira Gitler mentions, in the notes to "Chicken shack", that Jimmy lived in "suburban Norristown" (ie he was a suburban slicker, but it doesn't sound so good) and that they (all concerned) wanted photos done on a farm, for the grease.

MG