The new Selects are in Upcoming

jazzbo

It's gonna be hard to not pick up the PC set even though I have most of the material already.

The Patton is a must-have, though there doesn't appear to be any "theme" to this set...

I'm already falling behind. I still need the Randy Weston box. Guess what I'll be getting for Christmas this year? ;)

Patton is not my favorite organist, but I'm going for his Select anyway. Gotta broaden my outlook, ya know? The organ universe is not just Jack McDuff and Freddie Roach (sadly :unsure: ).

I read Cuscuna's blurb about how the Chambers-Blakey duets came out of the Sonny Clark session, and that did it for me! Even though I have nearly all of the Chambers material in other formats, now I'm going to have to get the Select.

Patton is not my favorite organist, but I'm going for his Select anyway. Gotta broaden my outlook, ya know? The organ universe is not just Jack McDuff and Freddie Roach (sadly :unsure: ).

I read Cuscuna's blurb about how the Chambers-Blakey duets came out of the Sonny Clark session, and that did it for me! Even though I have nearly all of the Chambers material in other formats, now I'm going to have to get the Select.

I think if you think Freddie and Jack are IT!(and I don't disagree)...I think you'll love the Patton. The Way I Feel, Oh Baby!, That Certain Feeling are essential organ lps imho you won't be disappointed!!!!

I think if you think Freddie and Jack are IT!(and I don't disagree)...I think you'll love the Patton.  The Way I Feel, Oh Baby!, That Certain Feeling are essential organ lps imho you won't be disappointed!!!!

Very excited and curious to take in the Patton vibe! I know his work as a sideman, and I even have a few of his own dates, but I'm not well versed in the Patton ways yet. It will be a nice adventure, I suspect.

And Bertrand, thanks for the post about the Blakey-Chambers duets. May just save me some money if I can find Drums Around the Corner (is it still in print? I haven't seen it for a while).

Edited by jmjk

I think if you think Freddie and Jack are IT!(and I don't disagree)...I think you'll love the Patton.  The Way I Feel, Oh Baby!, That Certain Feeling are essential organ lps imho you won't be disappointed!!!!

Very excited and curious to take in the Patton vibe! I know his work as a sideman, and I even have a few of his own dates, but I'm not well versed in the Patton ways yet. It will be a nice adventure, I suspect.

And Bertrand, thanks for the post about the Blakey-Chambers duets. May just save me some money if I can find Drums Around the Corner (is it still in print? I haven't seen it for a while).

Just a side-note....two albums that are included in the set..."Along Came John" and "Oh Baby!" were Patton's two personal favorites. I'm sure most are familiar with ACJ. I think it was a sentimental favorite for Patton. However, the session with Blue Mitchel, Harold Vick, Grant Green and Ben Dixon that makes up "Oh Baby!" is simply AMAZING. The compositions are some of Patton's best (and that's saying a lot.) Also, the horn ensembles are just so great...it's as close to a Horace Silver record as Patton ever got. GREAT album. It's WONDERFUL.

There. Did I hype it enough. :rolleyes::D

Yeah jazzbo, maybe I am one of the few and proud, but I care as much about who remastered the tapes as much as I care about who wrote the liner notes. I just like music.

:mellow:

Jazzdog, you're dead on! I like music too. It's just that I prefer it without muddy bass and distorting horn ensembles that one can find on certain McMasterings. The equipment on which these are played may have something to do with my muddy sound, though.

Which reminds me...I need to check on who did the transfers for some Kenton cds I've been suspicious about. Nearly everything distorts on those!! Maybe it was Stan's plan all along (bless him).

Soul Stream- Stop with all this Patton talk. Your relentless hype stands to keep me up nights in anticipation. :D

Edited by jmjk