Uptown. . .

jazzbo

I've always felt that to be the case that Duke used vocalists as instrumental colors as much as obligatory additions to a working band.

I dig Hibbler, probably easily acquired the taste. . . . I don't know, he's just rich and deep and bold sounding. Like Harry Carney crossed with Hodges' tricks more than anything. Bird dug him as a person!

Joya Sherrill was the one I thought that was most a real vocalist (after Ivie and Jeffries), and still served as the instrument for Duke. (And what a BABE!)

And Alice too; I really want to get stuff by Alice outside of Duke and there are a few Ducal things with Alice I want still.

Edited by jazzbo

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Alice too; I really want to get stuff by Alice outside of Duke and there are a few Ducal things with Alice I want still.

Still going strong, I believe.

Her recordings have a high profile in the jazz and 'easy listening' sections of Swedish record stores.

I saw adverts for a jazz club in Stockholm which she either partly runs or is a regular at.

Take a look here:

http://abekat.mobilixnet.dk/babs.html

• 3 years later...

A Drum Is A Wombat reissue happened, past tense-- I & other WKCR listeners heard it some afternoon years ago when Phil Schaap played it. Unfortunately, this seems to have been lost & forsaken following Schaap's firing, exile, etc. I don't believe there was anything 'controversial' about his work there so I dunno what the fuh the trouble is... bad aftertaste maybe?

xxooc

Probably the line thatt suggests that what a drum and a woman have in common is that you beat them.

I think Sony may be sitting on a remaster.

Phil Schaap played a remastered version on FM maybe 5 years ago. At various times before that he had played the remastered ANATOMY OF A MURDER and Benny CARNEGIE HALL some time before official releases.

Like Lon I have the lp transferred to cdr. Here's hoping Sony gets off it's keister.

I think Sony may be sitting on a remaster.

Phil Schaap played a remastered version on FM maybe 5 years ago. At various times before that he had played the remastered ANATOMY OF A MURDER and Benny CARNEGIE HALL some time before official releases.

Like Lon I have the lp transferred to cdr. Here's hoping Sony gets off it's keister.

This from the latest DEMS Bulletin:

There has been a French CD with the original "A Drum Is a Woman" album: Columbia CD COL 471320-2. But as is the case with so many of these nice re-releases, it is difficult to find. We are all waiting for a more important re-release with a lot of "fresh" music. Phil Schaap finished his work for Sony for a double CD, but the market seems to have been judged too small for a release. What a pity!