Uptown. . .

jazzbo

I'm listening to a borrowed advance copy (sleeve version, no booklet etc.) of Ellington's "Uptown."

DAMNIT THIS IS GOING TO BE A FANTASTIC RELEASE!

The sound is excellent. I put on one of my favorites from this time period included here, "I Like the Sunrise" and it sounded as if a larger than life Al Hibbler were singing in my living room!

Whenever this one comes out, seriously consider grabbing it!

uptown.jpg

(Not sure they'll use this cover.)

How does such a huge sound come from this guy? One of the mysteries of the universe!

hibbler46.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It contains what the lp did and also includes the Liberian Suite.

Skin Deep

The Mooche

Take the A Train

A Tone Parallel to Harlem

Perdido

The Controversial Suite: Before My Time/Later

The Liberian Suite:

I Like the Sunrise

Dance No. 1

Dance No. 2

Dance No. 3

Dance No. 4

Dance No. 5

Duke Ellington Uptown was released shortly after Ellington adopted the 12-inch long player philosophy and began recording concert versions of some of his greatest pieces. Before the present release, this recording was issued on three different occasions, each released including slightly different material. The original release (Columbia ML 4639) contained the opening five tracks: "Skin Deep," "The Mooche," "Take The 'A' Train," "A Tone Parallel To Harlem," and "Perdido." The second release, entitled HiFi Ellington Uptown (CL 830) replaced "A Tone Parallel to Harlem" with "The Controversial Suite." The third version (CL 848) traded "Perdido" for "The Liberian Suite."

Finally, the current Ellington Uptown unites all of these versions on a single disc with digital remastering. The result is a voluminous big band sound coupled with exceptional composition and orchestration, even on the lesser-known pieces. A young and brash Louis Bellson provides the opening piece, "Skin Deep," where he capable demonstrates his all encompassing ability to drive a band. "The Mooche" and "Take the 'A' Train" bristle with vitality and invention in their extended version, the latter given a be bop flavor by vocalist Betty Roche. The centerpiece is "A Tone Parallel to Harlem," a piece that justifies all of Wynton Marsalis? extended jazz composition catalog. Harry Carney demonstrates his importance to the Ellington Orchestra with his bass clarinet. The center of this piece is country brass band playing a civil war tune before hitting NYC again for the coda. The two suites included are prime Ellington musings. Perhaps not the best known, but essential nevertheless. This is an important and complete release of Ellington material.

Ellington Uptown article from AAJ (Google cache link, AAJ is currently down)

Hifi Ellington Uptown has been reissued on SACD in Japan:

1001.jpg

http://www.sacdinfo.com/showtitle.php?title=1001

I have an old LP of HI-FI ELLINGTON UPTOWN, and have TONE PARALLEL & LIBERIAN SUITE on some French CBS LP. Don't think I have this version of "Perdido". Had no idea of all the different variations of this album!

"Controversial Suite" isn't one of Duke's "major" works, but it is certainly one of his most curious (and therefore, intriguing), and I'm looking forward to hearing it without any scratches.

Bottom line - you can't beat Betty Roche on the "A-Train" heard here!

"Controversial Suite" isn't one of Duke's "major" works, but it is certainly one of his most curious (and therefore, intriguing), and I'm looking forward to hearing it without any scratches.

Russell Procope's soprano solo is enough to justify ANYTHING.

By the way, when I saw the thread title I thought someone was in my mailbox. Yesterday I received cdrs of unissued JR Monterose (2 discs), Jaki Byard - 1948, Carl Fontana and Frank Rosolino, and unissued Fentone masters.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

My dad's copy of Uptown was an adolescent discovery, and I've had all this material on cd for some time thanks to the Columbia cd and the French 1947 to 1952 five cd set that I spent all my amd money on a logn time ago and I am so glad I did. . . .

B u t the stuff has never sounded like this. I think the sound on this is phenomenal.

Christern, I agree with you about a lot of Al Hibbler, but "I Like the Sunrise" (which I love, along with the rest of "Liberian Suite") is inconceivable to me (and might not have been conceivable to Ellington) without the timbral eccentricities of Hibbler's voice as a given. (Don't know if Chuck agrees with me on this.) At the least, we can be grateful that on this occasion Hibbler didn't do his mock-Cockney thing.

Funny, I guess I always thought Duke used Hibbler for his sound the way he used his instumentalists. Every Ellington/Hibbler track I can think of could be Carney or a trombonist. I have not thought this through, but Duke may have chosen all his singers for sound. This may explain Duke's relative failure with "band vocalists".

Good point, Chuck. You get that late 40s RCA stuff with the several vocalists going at once, and it's just WACK - pure sound.

I like the thing Hibbler did w/Rahsaan quite a bit, but otherwise, I find him an acquired taste that I've only partially acquired.

And I like Jimmy Grissom & Milt Grayson too. Good singers in a band that at the time really didn't need one.

Rock City Rock, baby!

Funny, I guess I always thought Duke used Hibbler for his sound the way he used his instumentalists... This may explain Duke's relative failure with "band vocalists".

That makes a lot of sense, Chuck. Think of how he used Baby Cox, Adelaide Hall, and Kay Davis.

Tony Watkins was pretty bad, I thought.

And then there were:

Darlene Huff

Nell Brookshire

Anita Moore

Shirley Witherspoon

Trish Turner

Lil Greenwood

Ozzie Bailey