Second Most Important Genre of Music?

Dan Gould

Second Favorite Musical Genre  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have collections of various sizes for the following genres:

Jazz

Blues

Funk/Disco

Soul/R&B

Reggae/Dub

Folk/Country

Rock/Alternative Rock/Metal

Rap/Hip Hop/Neo Soul/Trip Hop

Downtempo Electronica

Oldies

Surf Guitar

Afrobeat

Bossa Nova/MPB/Brasilian

Salsa

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My second genre is Western art music-most often called classical. I was exposed early on to "classical" music by my mother, but the first piece that opened a door in my mind was Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring. That's the source of many of my tastes. The other artists I learned from at around the same age (11) were Ahmad Jamal-I know every note of Jamal at the Pershing- and Sonny Rollins-Sonny Meets Hawk! My father was actually the jazz lover and his collection formed the foundations of my sensibilities.

For me, genre is a shorthand, useful for quick, albeit superficial conversations. I 'd have to say that music with depth and integrity, inventiveness-all spiritual qualities- are what I keep coming back for.

Peace,

Jeff T

I voted for "Something else". My second favorite is adult popular, such as Brasil '66 and Matt Monro. I listened to Shirley Bassey's Greatest Hits earlier today, and this thread has got me to put on Jack Jones' Greatest Hits.

I also have a few 60s movie soundtracks that I enjoy very much which I think would also fit into the adult popular category.

Good music is beyond category and I think people who close their ears to a broad spectrum of music short-change themselves.

Obviously, I voted for the last item in Dan's poll.

The problem is that choosing a second favorite genre does not in anyway imply "closing ears to a broad spectrum of music".

Good music is beyond category and I think people who close their ears to a broad spectrum of music short-change themselves.

The problem is that choosing a second favorite genre does not in anyway imply "closing ears to a broad spectrum of music".

Why is that a "problem"?

Why is that a "problem"?

Because it asserts something ("what is your second favorite genre?"="closing your ears to a broad spectrum of music") that has no basis in logic or reality.

If I started a poll that asks the question "are there any other genres than jazz you even bother with?" then Chris might assert that good music is beyond category and that people who close their ears to a broad spectrum of music short-change themselves.

That's not what I did in this poll.

...Because it asserts something ("what is your second favorite genre?"="closing your ears to a broad spectrum of music") that has no basis in logic or reality.

I think the problem here is that you took my statement to be a personal attack or a criticism of your poll. NOT!

I said "Good music is beyond category and I think people who close their ears to a broad spectrum of music short-change themselves."

You may not agree with that, but you should not twist it into something it never was: an insulting assertion. That, Dan, is an interpretation without "basis in logic."

I guess I find the notion of picking first and second favorite genres to be limiting.

Whoa,

I'm the only one who has voted for choice #1... although I love jazz, my first love always has been (and probably always will be) hardcore punk. I blame the Dead Kenndys for this... and D.O.A. as well... and many many others.

dead-kennedys-logo-4004353.jpg

B00007BH41.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Cheers,

Shane

I've got a fledgling punk section in the works. Minutemen, fIREHOSE, Black Flag, Descendants, etc. Takes me back to my early skateboarding days!

I didn't realise "favourite" was what you meant by "important". I couldn't chose a second favourite genre any more than I could choose a first favourite genre. All I can do is say that I've got more Jazz albums than Mbalax albums; more Mbalax than Gospel, & etc. Largely a function of availability and price. But I don't buy all the Jazz albums I come across; I DO buy all the Mbalax albums I come across. So, if there were more Mbalax albums easily available and if there were fewer Jazz albums around, Mbalax might be more important than Jazz in my collection.

MG

Like many others here, I have a hard time ranking my preferences for musical genres. My favorite music is all over the place in many genres.

That said, I have a special place in my heart and soul for the jazz-blues-R&B continuum. I don't look for boundaries in this continuum, just quality music.

wonder how many of those who voted other would have voted "world music" (which is an abbreviation for "stuff that's filed under world music in most general purpose record stores" - of course, most genres have strong ties to this world...)

where is the divide between Classic Rock and Modern Rock? Beatles? 1980? ??

guess some of what i am listening to like Bob Dylan or Syd Barrett is classic rock, some, is modern (like i am the last person who still believes in Pete Doherty's vast talents) but where do The Cure or Aztec Camera go? David Bowie?

...Because it asserts something ("what is your second favorite genre?"="closing your ears to a broad spectrum of music") that has no basis in logic or reality.

I think the problem here is that you took my statement to be a personal attack or a criticism of your poll. NOT!

I said "Good music is beyond category and I think people who close their ears to a broad spectrum of music short-change themselves."

You may not agree with that, but you should not twist it into something it never was: an insulting assertion. That, Dan, is an interpretation without "basis in logic."

I guess I find the notion of picking first and second favorite genres to be limiting.

I didn't take it as a personal attack, and I in fact tend to agree with your assertion.

It just isn't related to the poll. Saying that I, for instance, consider blues to be my second favorite genre doesn't imply that I short-change myself by "closing my ears to a broad spectrum of music," for the simple fact that I never said I don't have other genres of interest.