Netflix.com

Dan Gould

Last night my wife and I went to the local Blockbuster and when I couldn't find the one movie I was looking for-"The Taking of Pelham One Two Three"-I suddenly remembered that I had read something about a website called Netflix.

Basically, it works like this:

$20 monthly fee but you can cancel anytime

Make a list of the DVDs you want to rent, as many as you want (I think)

They send the first three to you

Keep them as long as you want, but when you return one, the next one is sent, so you are perpetually getting the films you want

Postage is free both ways

We pretty much jumped on board last night, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with these folks. I think I read that the company is still privately held and either making a profit or very close to one. What concerns me about the longevity of the service is that, in order to make money, your business plan has to assume that people *don't* over-use the service so that they rent a constant stream of DVDs, because at some point, those fixed costs of warehousing, processing, and mailing has to eat up all $20 people pay.

But it seems great for me and my wife because her first husband was the kind of guy who refused to watch any film that didn't have explosions, gore and nudity so she's missed a great number of classic films and we've had plans to go to blockbuster and start to put a dent into that list, but we never go often enough or when we are there we limit ourselves to one or two, and maybe a new release takes precedence. So for use its actually kind of good that they just send the next movie on the list and take the choice out of our hands.

One little minor potential difficulty though-you can go in and re-arrange your priorities whenever you want to, so apparently, couples have been known to serupticiously move "their" movie up on the list and knock their partners movie down! ;)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan,

I've had Netflix for over a year and love it. My wife is constantly moving the movie queue around, which drives me crazy. :rolleyes: I don't update it frequently enough, however, so a lot of the movie choices are her choices. Anyway, it's a great service and it generally only takes 1-2 days for me to get a new disc once they've received a disc I've sent back. I have experienced not getting discs or sending discs and Netflix not receiving them. You don't have to make any phone calls or anything when this happens, which is nice. Everything can be handled from your account. No extra charges when something is lost, either. :tup

Yeah, it seems like a really cool service. We've already put 25 DVDs in the que, and we have a lit of at least another 25 with a minimum of searching. I really like the idea of setting things up and knowing that flicks we want to see will automatically start arriving as we receive, watch and return.

But I wonder if I need to change the password so I can maintain some control over what comes when ... :D

I was a member for a while, and one of my co-workers currently is a member.

Great service, and amazing selection. They have a great number of titles that you will never find in a regular video store.

My only word of caution would be when renting two disc sets. I ordered the one that said disc two, thinking I would get the two disc version, but I only got the second disc! May be this has changed. No complaints otherwise. :tup

I am not, but I know several people who like it a lot, including most of my family.

They don't necessarily send you the "first three" on your list - they send you three that are available. You don't know what's necessarily coming.

The brilliance of their plan is the "no deadline to return."

The flaw is multiple disc sets, and postmen who try to cram the discs into too-small mailboxes.

Well, Adam, I can say that when you click on a title to rent, they tell you if its available or not, and they have shipped the first three we selected. I assume from now on they will send the next available one as we return what we have.

That's even better then.

I have friends who are contented members.

I read an article recently which stated that:

1) Netflix is so successful that Walmart has announced that it plans to start a service to compete against it.

2) The average Netflix customer rents 6 DVDs per month.

Six per month seemed like a lot to me, but my friends tell me that it is not, because a family with two teenagers will easily watch that amount.

fwiw

i have gotten to the point that i HATE to rent movies, especially from blockbuster.

when i rent movies, i end up never watching it and keepin' them longer and still not watching the damn thing.

what's up with their 12 o'clock check in time?

with the prices getting lower and lower, dvds are cheaper just to buy them. it seems like a waste of $$$$ renting for $5 (or more), when most dvds are $10-20.

ss1

Edited by Soulstation1

• 1 year later...

I just started using this service. So far it's really good.

There are quite a few music DVDs available and I have a lot lined up in my queue. Does anyone have any particularly outstanding MUSIC (jazz or otherwise) videos to recommend?

FWIW, I currently have on hand Mingus at Montreux 1975 (w/Pullen, Adams, Richmond & Walrath). Should be great.

Actually found the Mingus DVD a little lackluster. Don't get me wrong - it was great to see this group on stage (also the jams w/G Mulligan and B Bailey), but there seemed to be a lack of energy somehow.

I gotta give props to Don Pullen, though. He was smokin' - particularly on "Sue's Changes".

I just started using this service. So far it's really good.

There are quite a few music DVDs available and I have a lot lined up in my queue. Does anyone have any particularly outstanding MUSIC (jazz or otherwise) videos to recommend?

FWIW, I currently have on hand Mingus at Montreux 1975 (w/Pullen, Adams, Richmond & Walrath). Should be great.

I haven't seen it yet, but the recent Miles Davis Isle of Wight performance is in my queue.

Guy

Off the top of my head I really enjoyed the Masada - Live at Tonic dvd.

The Mingus was ok, but, I agree with you here, a certain spark was lacking.

1) Netflix is so successful that Walmart has announced that it plans to start a service to compete against it.

Saw something in the paper a couple of days back where Wal-Mart's actually throwing in the towel 'cause they can't make a proper go of it.

Yes, something to the effect that Walmart has agreed to pass their rental business to Netflix in return for purchase referrals.

[uPDATE] - Today Netflix added a banner that says: "Walmart.com has Every Day Low Prices on new DVD releases!"

Walmart.com -> Click here

Edited by BFrank

• 4 years later...

. Finally joined Netflix last week

Me too! I finally took the plunge 2 weeks ago. I'm on the $9 plan (one DVD in your possession). I'm very pleased. I just sent back my 4th rental.

There are tons of T.V. shows that I'd rather not buy at $20 - $30 a pop. Now I can sample them ad nauseam.

. Finally joined Netflix last week

Me too! I finally took the plunge 2 weeks ago. I'm on the $9 plan (one DVD in your possession). I'm very pleased. I just sent back my 4th rental.

There are tons of T.V. shows that I'd rather not buy at $20 - $30 a pop. Now I can sample them ad nauseam.

We are on the same plan. We watch one on Wed, mail it back and have another for the weekend.

Next up is an indie called Goodbye Solo. We religiously watch Apple Trailers and add stuff to the queue.