INVITATION the tune

Soul Stream

I agree with Trumpet guy, I think that Coltrane version with Harden is stunningly beautiful - and is probably my favorite. I have it on "the Stardust Session" cd. Coltrane's version is slow, lush, romantic.

Like TG, i next think of Joe Henderson, who played the tune often and well- he likes to play it faster and more hard edged. But my fave Henderson version is not TG's, but rather the one that is on "Tetragon" which I think beats it and also the version on "State of the Tenor" that is a killer.

I believe also there is a very nice Miles Davis version

Edited by skeith

Invitation is one of my personal favorite tunes to play on. What a beautifully structured masterpiece! And it works at a variety of tempos and grooves.

There is a nice version of Invitation on a Jack Wilkins recording w/Mike and Randy Brecker, Jon Burr, Al Foster and Phil Markowitz. This is a straight ahead session originally released as You Can't Live Without It but has since been reissued (paired with another nice session) under the title Merge. This group recently released a "reunion" recording, which I thought wasn't as good as the original.

Even people who aren't Brecker fans seem to like his playing on this one.

Another Joe Henderson version can be found on In Pursuit Of Blackness, a live session that is part of the Milestone box (Woody Shaw is on that one as well :) ).

Yeah I knew there was a live Joe Hen w/Woody Shaw I forgot.

I'll second that Jack Wilkins recommendation by Free For All!

More I forgot in my collection:

I have unreleased(?) versions by Quest(Liebman,beirach,McClure,Hart)--Killin!!

Ralph Bowen-Soul Proprietor

Lenny McBrowne & The 4 Souls w/ Don Sleet

Kevin Hays-Go Round

Dave Liebman-Setting The Standard

Milt Jackson with Kenny Dorham, Jimmy Heath, Tommy Flanagan, Ron Carter and Connie Kay on the Riverside LP "Invitation" (available as Original Jazz Classics OJCCD-260-2). A very good album throughout with a haunting atmosphere and excellent playing from all involved.

f68121xinzr.jpg

Second, Cal Tjader's from "Sona Libre" on Verve. (The CD Verve 815 058-2 is long out of print.)

Milt Jackson with Kenny Dorham, Jimmy Heath, Tommy Flanagan, Ron Carter and Connie Kay on the Riverside LP "Invitation" (available as Original Jazz Classics OJCCD-260-2). A very good album throughout with a haunting atmosphere and excellent playing from all involved.

f68121xinzr.jpg

I second that, it's a great album, one of Dorham's best IMO. I like the sombre mood very much, and, like you said, the playing is excellent.

Edited by J.A.W.

Lucky Thompson, last track on the wonderful, great, sublime "Lucky Strikes" album, with Hank Jones, Richard Davis and Connie Kay.

On Jaco's "Birthday Concert", there is an extended version, with Michael Brecker and Bob Mintzer (one of the very few records, where I don't mind Brecker's presence...)

ubu

Joe's best official recording of "Invitation" was done on a Roy Haynes Galaxy album called VISTALITE. This is not my opinion, it is a fact. ;)

There's a really nice post-bop (whatever that means) Jimmy Heath version on THE GAP SEALER. What that album's called now on CD, I can't tell you.

Any jazz musician who wants to take a look at the tune and take it apart for study would be well advised to check out Nelson Riddle's arrangement on Rosemary Clooney's LOVE album, readily available on Warner Brothers CD. Forget that it's Rosemary Clooney, forget that it's an "Easy Listening album" (allegedly...), forget that there's strings and stuff, forget all that crap and just listen to what Riddle wrote in terms of voicings, alterations and countermelodies. Listen and learn.

Thanks for all the recommendations. Ask, and you shall recieve at Organissimo. :) I was really surprised at how relatively few versions there are of this song (362) when I eyed the AMG. Sure 362's a lot to be sure. But I figured there'd be double that compared to other things I look up. :wacko:

Edited by Soul Stream