Baseball Steroid Thread

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Judge delivers KO punch to Clemens' lawsuit

He declared that McNamee's statements to Mitchell were protected because they were compelled by the Federal investigators. Also said that McNamee's lawyers are right that Texas doesn't have jurisdiction and it should be tried in NY. Only left McNamee's statements to Pettitte as potentially actionable, which is something that McNamee's lawyers would love, because then they'd get to depose Andy.

BWAAAAAAHAAAAHAAAA

Next stop, Federal court. After that, the Federal Prison Softball League, where his roommate Bubba will introduce him to a new style of pre-start testicular massage.

Agreed, and its just as ridiculous for Selig to say he's thinking of penalizing A-Rod. The union would win that grievance in record time.

Not to mention that there are 103 other names out there someplace. Just because someone only blew the whistle on A-Rod doesn't negate that fact. Selig's true occupational calling was automobile sales. That's precisely where he should have stayed.

Up over and out.

Agreed, and its just as ridiculous for Selig to say he's thinking of penalizing A-Rod. The union would win that grievance in record time.

Not to mention that there are 103 other names out there someplace. Just because someone only blew the whistle on A-Rod doesn't negate that fact. Selig's true occupational calling was automobile sales. That's precisely where he should have stayed.

Up over and out.

Also not to mention that it was agreed, when the players took this test, that there would be no punishment for a positive result. Bud, just retire already, you're making a fool of yourself.

Up over and out.

Also not to mention that it was agreed, when the players took this test, that there would be no punishment for a positive result. Bud, just retire already, you're making a fool of yourself.

yeah, but Bud made over $18million last year, he'd hafta sell a LOT of cars to make that! One of the local sportswriters calls him 'Nutty Professor' and I think it suits him to a tee.

Bud needs to go away and die, he already gave us a canceled world series and having the 7th game be decided by an exhibition game, not to mention the unbalanced schedules do to inter league. I am sorry but Bud is the last person I want to hear saying or trying to do anything about the integrity of the game. He, the owners and players union damn well knew about of all this back in the mid 90s. Spare me.

Edited by WorldB3

Bud needs to go away and die... He, the owners and players union damn well knew about of all this back in the mid 90s. Spare me.

Earlier than the mid-'90s. I recall reading articles / hearing speculation about McGwire, Canseco and steroids back in the late '80s, when they were A's teammates. And Fay Vincent delivered an anti-steroids memo to each club and the players' union on June 7, 1991. Laughably, Selig reissued Vincent's statement on May 15, 1997 (source: Selena Roberts article on A-Hole-Rod in latest Sports Illustrated)!

Bud's the owners' creature, and they apparently feel he's doing a decent job, hence the $18MM paycheck... :rofl::rolleyes:

I am gonna throw this one out there

What happens if Jeter's name is on that list?

Wouldn't surprise me. Nor would any other name in any other sport. What would surprise me is if anyone at this point would be shocked about it.

Having said that, I certainly don't suspect Jeter. I assume he's clean. But then, nobody suspected A-Rod. In fact, just the opposite, he was presumed to be clean also.

I think one that would be disappointing would be Pujols. As a big guy from the D.R. there have been suspicions, and he's probably at the moment the best "organic" player left. Although maybe since he plays for a team from the center of the country maybe people won't care.

Edited by Quincy

Nobody would really surprise me. Pujols not at all: not that I've heard rumors or anything, it's just that his physique looks so pumped-up.

Yeah, but Gabe Kapler was a workout fiend starting in high school and has spoken out against steroids for so long it would be an extraordinary shock if he used. He might not be quite as large as Prince Albert, but if you believe him, he's Exhibit One in the "you can get huge without steroids, too" argument.

But Pujols is just so freakishly HUGE. His forearms look to be the size of the thighs of a grown man.

I wasn't as surprised that ARod juiced as I was that he got caught. I remember watching some game last summer when he was batting and thinking to myself,"Wow, I never realized how big that guy was before now." What surprises me is that he claims to not have used PED's in the past 4 years.

Some interesting comments from Cole Hamels on his supplement usage.... (Look under strike 2)

http://sports.espn.com.go/espn/blog/index?...me=stark_jayson

Just caught something on foxsports.com, an interview with the man behind the new "Lie to Me" program on Fox. He picked up on several aspects of A-Rod's body language in the Gammons interview, but the one that I found most intriguing was the half-shrug that A-Rod used several times. According to the good doctor who is so gifted at spotting a liar, in all of his experience, he has never once found a single instance in which someone did a one-shouldered shrug who wasn't lying. Every single time, that is a fool-proof marker that someone is being untruthful.

Anyone who thinks that there aren't many more revelations to come about A-Rod must be a shameless Yankee fan, whistling past the graveyard.

I listened to parts on XM- it sounded forced and I don't believe the naive part....stupid? yes....they didn't mention the testosterone levels.......in my opinion, his actions were calculated. Didn't Conseco say that Rodriquez did steroids? Conseco hasn't been made into a liar yet.....we're the players there to make sure that he didn't speak the truth- like Michael Corleone did when he had the brother of a guy who was testifying to congress in the Godfather movie?

I wish someone- anyone-would just speak the truth, without a script, without being coached.

What was up with the dramatic pause?? I think that was fake.

But I'm a cynic with all of this.

Edited by vajerzy

The "young" part is doubtful. I mean, 23-25? What about starting when he was 18? And I didn't hear anything about the pressure of his contract this time around (though I've yet to hear the whole thing straight through).

But the truth will come out - this stuff he says he used. People will investigate and find out what that colloquial name he used actually refers to, and then we're going to find out whether it is possible to test positive for Testosterone and that other steroid when using this stuff. Because that other steroid is pretty unique in some ways - water-based, and staying in the system for a much shorter time frame than oil-based steroids like Decca. So let's let the press do its job and investigate his statements. My guess is that the next story to come out will be that what Alex took could not result in the reported positive test.

The reviews are in, and the experts aren't exactly impressed with A-Rod's explanation.

And how about that bullshit decision by the Yankees to say "no follow up questions"? Talk about controlling the press conference! He gives one doubtful answer but the next guy has his own question in mind and none of them want to go back to what he said to another guy earlier. Its like an interview with a roomful of Gammons.

And I think its quite telling that according to that article I linked, "Boli" might account for the Primobolan positive test, but it don't explain the positive for Testosterone. And if he was adding testosterone, as you would if you were "stacking", then it wasn't "amateur hour".

So what's the reaction to that 38 second pause trying to summon tears that would never come?

Master Thespian or Bad Acting?

I'd love to see a split screen of A-Rod's "emotional" moment vs Andy Pettitte from a year ago. Pretty sure that Andy actually got choked up, that his emotions were portrayed in his face much more honestly than A-Rod who looked like he was thinking to himself "Puppies getting run over by a car" over and over again but it just wouldn't trigger anything.

Just realized another especially lame part about this - did you notice how A-Rod dropped the GNC angle? Even more obvious how lame his first story was and how now he is simply discarding it, and remarkably, the story is even more lame now.

And the problem with the "no follow-up questions" policy was encapsulated by his response to the only Selena Roberts question:

"Yes, it is (accurate that I talked to her). We had a very good conversation. After talking to the Miami Beach police, it was a police report that I thought was a citation. It was a misunderstanding of the facts. I reached out to her and it went well. And we both decided to put it behind us."

Do ya think that whoever asked that question wanted to follow up by saying, "You made four specific allegations about Roberts including insinuating that your daughters were somehow at risk when she attempted to "break in" and you blame it on a police report rather than a citation? You claimed to have the "paper right here" when you spoke to Peter Gammons. The police report you mention simply records that there was a question raised about whether the island you live on is public or private property. How was that confused with a citation and why did you claim that she attempted to break into your house?"