Baseball Steroid Thread

Dan and Good Speak, can you guys keep the name calling and politics out of it? It takes away from both of your arguments.

Speak to Dan, WB3...not my doing.

In my opinion there is a medium here. I live in the bay area and obviously Bonds took juice after 2000. Before that even when he was with the Pirates he was the best hitter I ever saw, I am an A's fan and I use to share season tickets to just to see Barry hit, since 93 you were in the presence of greatness. First ballot HOF in my opinion. Again as a Bay Area baseball fan my team the Oakland A's in 88 and early 2000's were the poster child for roids with Jose, McGwire, Jason and Miggy.

I will say this though that we have taken a lot of shit about Barry that wasn't fair in that he was the poster child for roids when you we know he wasn't the only one using. Anybody that singled out Barry wasn't looking at the real problem and how wide spread the usage was in the league.

Sellig, the Labor union, the owners, writers and fans all looked the other way. Singling out certain individuals might make you feel good so you can pass blame and have hate directed on but its living in denial.

First of all, I agree Bonds took a lot of needless bullshit from the media lynch mob regarding the use of steroids [as if he was the only one (allegedly) using the stuff]. The MLB and it's owners did in fact turn a blind eye. Why that is all Bonds' fault is beyond me.

However, the fact he was dirty remains to be proved. Hat size and body bulk do not equate to anything more than pure speculation.

He was a [edit] three time MVP and four time Gold Glove winner [totalling seven awards; 4 for fielding] before that alleged steroids season and anyone still laboring under the delusion that steroids make you see the ball better and hit HRs is an idiot. Make no mistake.

Of all the convicted and assumed steroids users in and out of the MLB...none hit as many HRs nor were walked as many times as Bonds was.

Edited by GoodSpeak

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All their quoting of each other is killing my crackberry phone

:party:

I'm waiting for the post where the quoting doesn't fit on one computer screen page. I can't imagine trying to follow this on my iPod Touch. Uh, not that I'm reading it mind you, I'm just guessing we've been through this already. :)

Edited by Quincy

I wouldn't be offended if you guys took this to a chat room. Or- pick a place in the midwest that you both can fly relatively cheap and hang out and discuss- perhaps St. Louis and Chicago- and take in some games.

At the cost of about ninety minutes of my life, I've shorn this thread of all the name-calling I could see (about six pages worth out of a former total of forty-four), plus some extraneous stuff, and re-opened it. If in doing so I've whacked a few things I shouldn't have, so be it -- the gist of the arguments (plus a lot of husk) remains.

• 3 weeks later...

Add Sammy to the list if you didn't already

Why do the just release Rodriguez and Sosa's names only?

Release the other 100 plus names

Not that it really matters

I think if your baseball and Selig its wise to limit the release of the names to a trickle. I think the whole list would overwhelm enough people to say screw it I will never support baseball again. I also imagine there are are some big market player names on there which would also effect marketing.

While there are several young future superstars like Morneau and Mauer who play for the Twins who are clean Joe Six Pack may just say well if Big Pappi is on the list then screw them all (not saying Big Pappi is on it, just throwing it out there) who the hell is Monreau? Screw em all.

As for Sammy being on the list, well no duh.

Worst part about Sammy is that he came up as a five tool player, great in the field, could steal a base hit for average but he decided to become just a home run hitter. Sadly the state of the game is that hitting 50-60 jacks gets your more money then stealing bases, hitting for average, assists and moving the runner over.

As for Sammy being on the list, well no duh.

Worst part about Sammy is that he came up as a five tool player, great in the field, could steal a base hit for average but he decided to become just a home run hitter. Sadly the state of the game is that hitting 50-60 jacks gets your more money then stealing bases, hitting for average, assists and moving the runner over.

Sammy Sosa wasn't on my radar when he was coming up (it wasn't easy then to have any real knowledge about prospects, pre-Internet) but there is nothing whatsoever in his stats to say that he was a five-tool player. One of those five tools is hitting for power, and he didn't do it. Neither did he hit for average in the minors - in no full season in his minor league career did he hit above .285. Its true he started in the minors at a young age, so he was always young for the leagues he played in but still ... there's nothing that made Sosa a "five tool" player. He could run a little, I assume his defense was considered decent.

As for your statement about how the game values 50-60 jacks well guess what - that has been the case since Babe Ruth and has never changed. The only thing that has changed is the absolute size of the salaries. The value of hitting "taters" has always exceeded the value of stealing bases or hitting for average.

The value of hitting "taters" has always exceeded the value of stealing bases or hitting for average.

So you don't think the game has suffered from it and the waiting for the 3 run homer? I never saw him play and he never hit 70 HRs but most people consider Willie Mays the best ever.

You should read Juicing the Game by Howard Bryant. He mentions the demise of Sosa not caring about anything but focusing on home runs. Obviously Cancesco is Sosa to the extreme. If I could vote for the HOF I would never vote for McGuire. Not becuse he roided but because he only did one thing well.

The value of hitting "taters" has always exceeded the value of stealing bases or hitting for average.

So you don't think the game has suffered from it and the waiting for the 3 run homer? I never saw him play and he never hit 70 HRs but most people consider Willie Mays the best ever.

You should read Juicing the Game by Howard Bryant. He mentions the demise of Sosa not caring about anything but focusing on home runs. Obviously Cancesco is Sosa to the extreme. If I could vote for the HOF I would never vote for McGuire. Not becuse he roided but because he only did one thing well.

Earl Weaver played for the three-run homer in the sixties and seventies. Was the game suffering then?

If you're implication is that Sosa might have been Mays if only .... well, thanks for the chuckle.

Sosa vs McGuire in the Hall used to be an interesting question, as they were both one-dimensional players, very good at that one dimension. Up until this week, it looked like the difference was that one had a very good lawyer and one had a very bad lawyer. McGuire's legal advice was that he could not speak about the past without risks to himself, his friends and family, leaving the inevitable supposition that he did in fact use steroids and could not discuss it under oath without immunity. Sosa's lawyer was great, if you appreciate the crafting of a statement that sounded good but had more holes in it than swiss cheese. "I never injected myself or had anyone inject me" - yeah but there are such things as oral steroids, Sammy. "I never violated the laws of the U.S. or the Dominican" - yeah but Sammy, the Dominican Republic never outlawed steroids, they can be bought easily anywhere. So if you used oral steroids while in the Dominican, than you've managed to be truthful to Congress while denying that you cheated.

Brilliant. Until now with this report. I could have seen Sammy getting into the Hall until this positive test came out. Now there's no way in hell for either one of them.

And that's totally fine by me.

What do you make of this:

NEW YORK - Jose Canseco plans to file a class-action lawsuit against Major League Baseball and the players’ association, saying he’s been ostracized for going public with tales of steroids use in the sport.

Canseco said Wednesday that he has discussed the suit with lawyers and intends to enlist Sammy Sosa and Rafael Palmeiro to join in the suit.

Canseco said the basis of the suit would be “lost wages — in some cases, defamation of character.”

“Because I used steroids and I came out with a book, I was kicked out of the game, but I have not been inducted into the Hall of Fame,” Canseco said in a telephone interview.

Didn't he write the book after he was out of the game? If so, what lost wages? Defamation of character? You write a book, expect feedback. And the Hall? He's suing in part to get into the Hall of Fame? That's a new one.

Earl Weaver played for the three-run homer in the sixties and seventies. Was the game suffering then?

"Pitching, defense and three-run homers"! :lol:

Actually, though I preferred the brand of baseball played in the '60s and '70s, one could argue that, in terms of attendance and revenue, the game was suffering then. When I was growing up in Chicago area (late '60s-early '70s), teams did well to sell one million tickets a year, and late-season crowds of 1,000 or less were not unusual. Very few games were broadcast nationally ("game of the week" on Saturday was it). Further, the whole memorabilia/souvenir silliness (IMO) hadn't exploded.

Seems like MLB embraced "modern marketing techniques" starting in the early '80s, and attendance subsequently exploded. The aging of the baby boomers may have had something to do with it, as well...

Re. Sosa, I can only laugh. Anyone who's surprised by Sammy testing positive must have spent a couple of decades on Venus or somewhere.

I think its funny that Canseco is filing as a "class action" and is recruiting Palmiero and Sosa to join the claim, since I guess they were blackballed too. Of course the fact that he was 37 when no one would sign him, hadn't played a full season since he was 33 and the few skills he had as a ballplayer had markedly declined doesn't mean it was a rational decision by GMs, in fact it must have been a conspiracy to deny him the ability to make a living.

Proof that lawyers will take on any client if they can be convinced there is a pot of gold at the end, since we know Canseco can't pay anyone their fee up front.

thats what I was getting at.

less focus on the fundamentals now. You never saw a Earl Weaver team lack fundamentals. Those early 3 peat Oakland A's teams and early 70's Reds teams did everything right. Take the extra base, fielding the position, getting the runner over, get the run home with an out instead of taking the 3rd strike because your waiting for your pitch to drive out of the park, knowing what every option you have available for the situation. Players now just focus on getting power numbers and the bigger pay check.

Or maybe I am just getting a bad brand of ball in my area.

Edited by WorldB3

Actually, though I preferred the brand of baseball played in the '60s and '70s, one could argue that, in terms of attendance and revenue, the game was suffering then.

I never thought I'd say this but I miss the lack of Astroturf in the NL (or at KC), and maybe even a few of the cookie cutter parks. The type of ball they played at Houston (uh, when they were good, which wasn't often) and the Whiteyball era in STL was exciting stuff. Speed to burn on the basepaths & defense, moving the runners, all because there weren't enough players who were strong enough to hit the ball over the wall.

Granted I wouldn't want every park to play on plastic (hell, not even 3/4s), or every team to be full of rabbits, but it was fun era (in the NL especially). I guess there are still small ball teams around, and the new found emphasis on defense by some teams as a way to improve pitching (Detroit, Texas) is good to see, I'm just having a nostalgic moment. The thing that still causes me to go "huh?" is whenever I realize that all the turf is in the AL, whereas when I was a kid the majority was in the NL (STL, CIN, PIT, PHI, HOU...) With the Heftydome closing in MIN there goes another plastic park. I'll try not to get weepy-eyed over its loss. :)

thats what I was getting at.

Some of those Oriole teams were badass. One of my earliest baseball memories is the 1966 World Series mega-upset sweep of the Dodgers. Frank and Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell, Jim Palmer, Dave McNally,...

(Just in case anyone didn't recognize it, my above quote is a famous one from Earl Weaver re. the secret of winning.) The Os of the Weaver era had a lot of excellent defensive players: Paul Blair, B. Robinson, Mark Belanger, Bobby Grich,...

Edited by T.D.

• 1 month later...

There is no salt to be rubbed, thanks anyway, Jon.

Number one, he tested positive in 2003. There is no evidence he used in 2004 and beyond, as he has never been penalized for a positive test.

Number two, they must have been the super-slow-acting steroids since they didn't kick in until Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS.

Seriously though, from that Times article:

In 2007, Ortiz said that he used to buy a protein shake in the Dominican Republic when he was younger and did not know if it contained a performance-enhancing drug.

“I don’t do that anymore because they don’t have the approval for that here, so I know that, so I’m off buying things at the GNC back in the Dominican Republic,” Ortiz told The Boston Herald. He added: “I don’t know if I drank something in my youth, not knowing it.”

Ortiz has acknowledged the possibility of inadvertent use. He's also become one of the toughest of all players in advocating a much more intensive testing program with a full year penalty for a single positive test. That doesn't sound like a guy who used for a long time.

So, bottom line: He tested positive in 2003. They didn't win in 2003 either.

As for Manny, I don't give a shit. He's your problem now. :P