Play

Elissa

I don't know why exactly, but I love it here at the Big O. Jazz has always been a sort of cherished foster home for me, Monk my surrogate dad, and this place has become a kind of virtual version. So for the moment, I feel comfortable here (I think) starting to log a project new for me: producing and starring in a play. Which is really scary! I mean I could still fail to secure the rights to the play I want to do - and then would have to scramble to find something else. And that's not even step one really: I've been working with a brilliant actor and filmmaker who's given me an amazing deal on his theater space for two weeks in February, which is a time that, as you'll imagine, not every New Yorker is raring to brave the elements to get to the theater. Amazing deal or not, mounting a play is expensive, not least since one is fairly guaranteed no return on the investment. And so far my producers are.... me. An aunt who said she'd back me just a tiny bit - for about a tenth of what it will cost - called this am with the news that she'd put a check in the mail for half of what she'd promised. And I have to get the first check out yesterday to reserve the space.

But I really have no choice on the other hand. A little more than two years ago I started to finally do what I'd always wanted and got into a great program for acting - some say the country's best - which I just finished last summer. I'm now in my wonderful teacher's Master Class and have really strong support not only from him, but from a handful of actors and directors who I cannot help but trust. For this play, I have a director who really believes in both the project and in me - though for better or worse he's my husband. Now I don't know if you've ever worked with your spouse, but there have got to be easier ways to go about getting things done. Course, I love and respect him and his work, and as soon as he's out of the hospital and mobile again - in a couple few weeks time - well we'll have rehearsals underway. Or so I'd like to think. Heh.

Wow, assuming this is real (JUST KIDDING!) you get my fullest respect and "moral support" for having the gumption to roll like this.

And I feel for you re:working w/your spouse. LTB & I frequently get crossways over something simple like putting up Christmas lights, so multiply that by, what, 300 bajillion? and I can only imagine the stress.

But you know what they say, if it doesn't kill you (or you him)...

Best of luck to you, and by all means, keep a running tab here as much as you feel like!

Sounds incredibly daunting, but obviously its something you have to do, so GO GO GO! Will this be a one-person play or will you have other actors?

I hope your husband gets well soon!

Thanks for your good wishes!

The play can be done with as few as 7 actors, which is what we're shooting for. I have a confirmation from one woman that she'll do it - and she's just phenomenal. Waiting to hear back from two other actors to whom we've offered the next biggest roles. We don't know yet who we want to play the rest. But as I mentioned, I have yet to get the rights, so battening it all down may be jumping the gun. The playwright has big productions up of other works, so last week his agent said that I'd have to promise not to advertise too much (thanks) and not try to get reviews... since mine will be a rather, um, intimate little production. The theater has about 75 seats I think.

And I misspoke when I said there's no return on the investment. What I meant was that there's no immediate financial return on putting up a play. Returns though can happen in many ways...

Edited by Elissa

I started acting again this year, after a hiatus of over fifteen years. In back in February or March, I auditioned for a play on a whim and got a role. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and immediately auditioned for another play in May. To date, I've appeared in four productions. I'm currently in the middle of a five-week run in "It's a Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Play." It's a lot of work (I do five shows a week, plus a full-time teaching job) but I'm having a blast. I play thirteen different characters (including Clarence the Angel). I say go for it! My wife has been telling me this for years, but it's true: If you don't put yourself out there, it doesn't matter how good you are.

One big question from me.

Why invest money if, as you say, "I could still fail to secure the rights to the play I want to do - and then would have to scramble to find something else" ?

Seems that would come first.

Sidenote

At times at Hollywood it worked like this: the executive producer goes to the Jimmy Stewart's agent and say: I've got a big budget, I've got a great screeenplay of William Faulkner, Billy Wilder as director and Grace Kelly as star's role. Stewart's agent say: Wow, we are in. Then the producer goes to Grace Kelly's agent and say: I've got a big budget, I've got a great screeenplay of William Faulkner, Billy Wilder as director and Jimmy Stewart as star's role. Kelly's agent say: Wow, we are in. Then the producer goes to Billy Wilder and say: I've got a big budget, I've got a great script of William Faulkner, Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly as star's role. Billy Wilder said: Wow, I am in. Then the producer goes to William Faulkner and say: I've got a big budget, I got Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly as star's role and Billy Wider as director all I really need is a great screenplay. William Faulkner say: Wow I am in. At the end the executive producer goes to the Big Boss of the Studios and say: I've got a great screeenplay of William Faulkner, Billy Wilder as director, Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly as star's role, all I need now are the money. And he get the big budget...and the movie.

I suspect I got this story from a movie or a book, I can't remember wich one. Maybe Altman's The Players?

Elissa is more serious then this. :)

Oh, wait - I started writing the response and then all this appeared.

One big question from me.

Why invest money if, as you say, "I could still fail to secure the rights to the play I want to do - and then would have to scramble to find something else" ?

Seems that would come first.

Well as to rights: Yes - they come first in a sense and I should have them any minute. I first applied for the rights through the Dramatists Guild, which is the regular process, but I was denied, which is common. So next I contacted the writer's agent, who said he didn't think it'd be an issue as long as I don't advertise too much or seek reviews, since the writer has a lot of fancy productions in town at the moment of other plays. I'm just waiting for the agent to get back to me with what I hope will be his 'go ahead on then.' If not, I think we'd likely do 2 Sean O'Casey one acts - his daughter has the rights I think, and she's a family friend.

Edited by Elissa

Just seems like a lot of work, no "payoff" and money down the drain. Easy recipe for death of dreams.

As to this - a lot of work, yes. No payoff, there I'd aver. One, I get to do the lead in a play that's perfect for me, with great people. That's a payoff right there, and for me, enough. I've spent two and a half years shedding - no reason not to at least do a gig. Also I get to give a maiden voyage to working with my husband, who's directed many plays and acted in about a hundred of them. Also, it's a great chance to work with people who work, and relationships are what get an actor gigs. And then: who knows, but perhaps the writer comes to see it, loves the production and we move it to a bigger theater with a different caliber of run. Also, perhaps a great agent shows up who realizes that he or she loves my work and will go to bat for me. Among many other possibilities.

Edited by Elissa

That is exciting. I'm in Chicago and go to a lot of theatre, nearly all off-Loop. It is one of the few other places where you can see such a range of productions, including shoestring productions. It really is feasible for a young company to go out there and "put on a show." And there is pretty decent coverage, even of small productions, between the two dailies, two alternative weekly and Metromix.

I keep thinking that one of these days I'd like to produce (not direct) a production of Lear on the beach, but dealing with the city bureaucracy makes that an unlikely dream.

Just seems like a lot of work, no "payoff" and money down the drain. Easy recipe for death of dreams.

But it worked, if one were able do get all the cards together. Risky business, like a lot of "artistic" job. To some extent it still works like this in Italy. Raising money for founding a movie is the thoughest job, often directors and producers are playing like this. To get a couple of well-known actors and a good screenplay, maybe from a well-known writer, is the insurance for the investors that they will not lose all their money, because they can sell the big names on the advertising campaign.

Several years ago I wrote a screenplay, not a masterpiece, but a good one, according to the producers I contacted. At times I was a 'mister nobody' , now I am a well known 'mister nobody'. They wanted to buy the subject for a few bucks, I refused because I wanted to direct 'my' movie, so I hardly tried to get a famous actor as leading role by contacting his agent. I couldn't and the screenplay is still on the shelf. I am pretty sure that with the actor I would have had the money and my movie.

Edited by porcy62

Well the sentiment may be 'good luck,' but it's something I'd quite literally like to avoid in any conceivable case: Though my beloved director's operation Monday went really well, the danger is that if he doesn't give the spike time to fuse with his femur he could indeed do that-thing-which-shall-not-be-named... Anyway! Thanks for all your good wishes (except for you, Nessa :P ) and wowie zowie: I'm even more scared now. Today I gave the down payment check to the wonderful fellow who owns the theater AND learned that my husband won't be able to put more than 10% of his body weight on his leg for 6 weeks. He's still in the hospital til Friday (we think), but he did have likely the world's foremost surgeon put him all back together again. He seems terrifically confident that we can just work at home doing table reads until early February when we'll be able to rehearse in the theater and open two weeks later - and to him it's all old hat - the joint replacement and the production, both.

As far as rights go: Oh, how I'd like to say that's all ironed out. But! I did get an e-missive from the agent telling me they'll be in touch soon, though that was Monday. Nothing since. Whoda thunk it was possible to become yet more precariously pitched on this little limb? :rhappy:

snoopy_dance.jpg got the rights! got a supercool theater! husband on the mend!

Congratulations!!! I just read this thread for the first time, and I'm very happy for you. I've done some community theater off and on for the last 15 years; just seeing from that small scale, I don't envy your position (and I thought being an actor was tough; hell, I got the EASY job!), but it sounds like you're committed to it with all heart and soul. I hope the rewards are bigger than you imagine!