THE BIG CHALLENGE

catesta

Cootie Williams and Rex Stewart joined by Coleman Hawkins, Bud Freeman, Lawrence Brown, J.C. Higginbotham, Hank Jones, Milt Hinton, Billy Bauer, and Gus Johnson.

I know with this lineup it could not possibly suck.

I saw it at Tower over the weekend, but had concerns about sound quality. (Fresh Sound Label)

Does anyone have this date?

Bought the original LP at Dobbels in the early sixtes, together with the Fletcher Henderson Reunion LP (The Big Reunion - Webster, Hawkins and a line of great trumpets and trombones plus the great Jimmy Crawford on drums etc etc)- both LPs are outstanding.

Edited by pepe

I thought I would drop a comment now that I have given this session a listen or two.

Big..., no, HUGE Sound!

Classic swing is what these guys delivered. Williams in no way could and definitely did not disappoint, Hawkins is awesome, Hank Jones was a perfect fit. The whole group and session smokes.

Edited by catesta

• 1 year later...

I hope you got it, and will look for the "big reunion". maybe the last great big band record made.

Info on availability of The Big Reunion, anybody? I have the original vinyl, and friend of mine wonders if it's been reissued and is availabe on CD.

"The Big Reunion" is currently available at Fresh Sound Records website:

The Big Reunion

Fletcher Henderson All Stars in Hi-Fi

Featuring: Rex Stewart, Emmett Berry, Tafi Jordan, Joe Thomas (tp), J.C. Higginbotham, Benny Morton, Dickie Wells (tb), Garvin Bushell and Hilton Jefferson (as), Coleman Hawkins and Ben Webster (ts), Haywood Henry (bars), Buster Bailey (cl), Al Casey (g), Red Richar

REFERENCE: FSRCD 1604

BAR CODE: -

PRICE: 9.80 €

Tracklisting:

1. Sugar Foot Stomp

2. A Hundred Years From Today

3. Honeysuckle Rose

4. 'Round About Midnight

5. Casey Stew

6. Wrappin' It Up

7. Three Thieves

8. The Way She Walks

9. King Porter Stomp

Recorded in NYC, 1957

"The Big Reunion" is currently available at Fresh Sound Records website:

The Big Reunion

Fletcher Henderson All Stars in Hi-Fi

Featuring: Rex Stewart, Emmett Berry, Tafi Jordan, Joe Thomas (tp), J.C. Higginbotham, Benny Morton, Dickie Wells (tb), Garvin Bushell and Hilton Jefferson (as), Coleman Hawkins and Ben Webster (ts), Haywood Henry (bars), Buster Bailey (cl), Al Casey (g), Red Richar

REFERENCE: FSRCD 1604

BAR CODE: -

PRICE:  9.80 €

Tracklisting:

1. Sugar Foot Stomp

2. A Hundred Years From Today

3. Honeysuckle Rose

4. 'Round About Midnight

5. Casey Stew

6. Wrappin' It Up

7. Three Thieves

8. The Way She Walks

9. King Porter Stomp

Recorded in NYC, 1957

I came to this thread late however since the rhythm section listed on the previous thread was cut off, I thought I'd read it off from my Fresh Sound CD (FSR-CD 44) that I've had since the late '80s. Red Richards (p), Al Casey (g), Bill Demberton (bass). Jimmy Crawford (d).

Incidentally, my CD issue states that it's from Barcelona, Spain. Anyone know why Fresh Sound alternately lists Switzerland and Spain as the countries of origin?

Edited by MartyJazz

Incidentally, my CD issue states that it's from Barcelona, Spain.  Anyone know why Fresh Sound alternately lists Switzerland and Spain as the countries of origin?

Fresh Sounds is a Spanish label, no doubt. No idea why it´s listed as coming from Switzerland.

And thanks for completing my sidemen listing for the Big Reunion! ;)

BTW: PD and you list it as FSRCD 44 and their website lists it as FSRCD 1604. Is this last one a new re-issue?

Edited by EKE BBB

Thanks again.

This is truly a desert island candidate, and at 10 euro it's a bargain.

I've had the original Jazztone LP for decades, and I still get a kick out of this great rhythm section, beautiful tight swinging ensembles and inspired background riffing, the string of beautiful soloes - particularly I think Hawkins delivers some of his best work ever. In a sane world this should sell millions.

• 2 months later...

Just picked a lovely LP version of the Big Challenge- original pressing I think in mint condition.

Also found a double LP called "The Big 18" with Rex Stewart, Lawrence Brown, Johnny Guarnieri, Buck Clayton and others. Recorded in June/July 1958 it seems to be a tribute to various big bands, a bit bland and souless, everyone plays well but theband seems despite the line up to have little character of its own. Anyone else heard this one?

Also found a double LP called "The Big 18" with Rex Stewart, Lawrence Brown, Johnny Guarnieri, Buck Clayton and others. Recorded in June/July 1958 it seems to be a tribute to various big bands, a bit bland and souless, everyone plays well but theband seems despite the line up to have little character of its own. Anyone else heard this one?

Yes, quite often see copies of this double LP - RCA Camden, about 1975? If its the one I'm thinking of it has arrangements by Billy Mays.

Yes! Those recordings were originally released on two LPs titled Live Echoes of the Swinging Bands and More Live Echoes of the Swinging Bands. They were reissued on CD in 1993 with original cover art and liner notes in an excellent but now defunct German reissue series called RCA Victor Jazz Classics. Charlie Shirley (who's that?) is listed as arranger. I remember them as pleasant, but I haven't listened to them in a long while now.

• 2 weeks later...