rocky boyd

michel1969

Look a that !!

Someone wrote that Rocky was boyd was a "nom de date" for another musician (John Coltrane)

anyway, someone must have met him in 1961...

Rocky' s autograph

By the way....

"Why not" (on Rocky's "Eease it" ) credited to Pete la Roca = "Why not" (On Dave Pike's "Pike's Peak") credited to Dave Pike = "Impressions" (on John Coltrane's "Impressions") redited to John Cotrane

... right ?

On the cover of Ease It, he's shown without his instrument. He was probably some guy off the street the photographer asked to pose for the picture. :D

Assuming this is not a joke - Rocky Boyd is a real person. He used to live in Boston, and occasionally showed up in the audience for jazz gigs.

On the cover of Ease It, he's shown without his instrument. He was probably some guy off the street the photographer asked to pose for the picture. :D

Assuming this is not a joke - Rocky Boyd is a real person. He used to live in Boston, and occasionally showed up in the audience for jazz gigs.

It was a joke. That's why I put the big smiley after the statement. I thought the OP was meant as a joke as well.

It was a joke. That's why I put the big smiley after the statement. I thought the OP was meant as a joke as well.

Well, no it's not a joke. In fact, it's ME on the cover of the record. Now the world knows. :wacko::crazy::lol::lol:

Sunny Murray got some of his first gigs with Rocky, and apparently Sam Rivers and he were close while they were both living in Beantown.

The Ease It LP isn't bad - not mind-blowing, but pretty good.

• 4 years later...
  • 9 months later...

By the way....

"Why not" (on Rocky's "Eease it" ) credited to Pete la Roca = "Why not" (On Dave Pike's "Pike's Peak") credited to Dave Pike = "Impressions" (on John Coltrane's "Impressions") redited to John Cotrane

... right ?

To my ears, absolutely. Anyone know what the deal here re: actual authorship is / was? The Boyd date is listed as having been taped in March of 1961; Coltrane's Vanguard performances are from November of that same year... but was Trane playing "Impressions" under that title prior to the Vanguard engagement?

What's interesting about the Sutherland versions is that they don't all strictly adhere to the B-section being a simple half-step-up minor 7 chord.

Where might one hear said Sutherland versions?

Also, another discographical quirk associated with this Boyd session: "Avars" was also recorded by Blue Mitchell, one his Riverside quartet date BLUE'S MOODS... but roughly a year before EASE IT was recorded and released.

What's interesting about the Sutherland versions is that they don't all strictly adhere to the B-section being a simple half-step-up minor 7 chord.

Where might one hear said Sutherland versions?

It's circulated in "collector's circles" and in the blog-o-sphere, and has now been released by one of those Fuzzy Andoras of a label. Amazon has it, or you can drop by the crib sometimes & I'll hook you up with a copy that is every bit as legit as theirs.

• 1 month later...