Futura Label

Chas

With the Futura label active issuing new recordings as well as reissuing selected titles from the back catalog , I thought we should have a thread where the few who are acquainted with the catalog can share their recommendations with the rest of us who are less familiar with the label's output .

Futuras never turned up in any of the vinyl bins I used to rummage , at least not the ones I was looking for viz. , the Dizzy Reece , Mal Waldron and Jaki Byard sides . The Reece record , From In to Out , has been slated for a CD reissue for some time , but as this earlier thread outlines , it was initially held up by a copyright dispute regarding the cover art . I recently wrote to the man who heads Futura to find out what the status of the Reece reissue is now . He told me that while he is committed to issuing older music in addition to new recordings , his finances have meant that he's had to scale back his ambitions somewhat . That said , he did inform me that the Dizzy Reece side should be out this year sometime around May or June . He also told me that the Jaki Byard solo record , Parisian Solos , will be available next month . No word on the other Jaki Byard Futura date , Live at the Jazz Inn , which is a trio recording . As for Mal Waldron , the Blood and Guts trio date is available , but not his solo effort for the label , The Opening .

I'm interested in hearing people's impressions of the music on these and other Futura recordings both new and old .

The Reece and the solo Jaki are fantastic. The Waldrons are nice; I prefer the solo.

Also worth seeking out:

The two Francois Tusques solo albums

The Siegfried Kessler/Barre Phillips/Steve McCall trio, Live at the Gill's Club

Raymond Boni - L'Oiseau, L'Arbe, Le Beton (solo guitar!!!)

Hal Singer - Blues and News

Burton Greene duo with Maarten Altena - Celesphere

Ted Curson - Pop Wine

Perception (though I like their LPs on Le Chant Du Monde and ADMI a little better)

...interestingly, the Byard trio has Jean-My Truong, drummer of Perception, in the mix. I don't have it, but look forward to hearing it some day.

The Futura and Marge catalogs are full of many, many gems!

Recommended!!!

Another one I forgot to mention, and which is very strong despite probably being directed at more "adventurous" ears, is the unclassifiable Jacques Thollot solo album, Quand le Son Devient Aigu, Jeter la Girafe a la Mer. His playing with Joachim Kuhn, Eje Thelin, Don Cherry and others is certainly great, but this'n will make one think of his playing differently.

Good news that the Dizzy Reece is expected out later this year. Let's just hope that it happens this time!

I only have the one recording on Futura and that's the Ted Curson 'Pop Wine' already mentioned. Excellent music!

However I do have a few CDs on Marge but only the ones that I used to have on vinyl. All three are good but probably not essential. They document a time when I was listening almost exclusively to jazz and in particular this type of jazz. The three recordings are:

Frank Lowe - Tricks of the Trade Probably my favourite recording by him.

David Murray - Let The Music Take You One of many good recordings by him from the 70's.

Ted Curson - Cattin' Curson A 'not bad' live recording from 1973

BTW I always seem to have difficulty in sourcing Futura & Marge CDs. Does anyone know an on-line retailer that keeps a good stock?

I don't have all that many - only one Futura disc (Portal/Surman "Alors!" - fine one), but several Marge ones:

Marge 18: Philly Joe Jones "Filet of Soul/Philly of Soul"

Marge 14: Roy Burrowes "Live at Dreher, feat. Mal Waldron"

Marge 09: Billy Harper "Awakening"

Marge 04: David Murray "Let the Music Take You"

Marge 02: Frank Lowe "Tricks of the Trade"

Marge 01: Ted Curson "Cattin' Curson"

Blue Marge 01: Archie Shepp: "Attica Blues Big Band" (2CD)

Impro 04: Siegfried Kessler "Invitation"

Those are all from nice to have to fine - I found all of them in various sales at cheap prizes, several after they'd been OOP for quite a while. But it's been quite some time that I saw any of them in stores by now. I assume even though it's costly, best would be to order directly from the label - they might be so kind and give you a little discount if you order several discs at the time (not that I knew, I never did, but I'd definitely try and ask).

The Reece and the solo Jaki are fantastic. The Waldrons are nice; I prefer the solo.

Also worth seeking out:

Ted Curson - Pop Wine

Perception (though I like their LPs on Le Chant Du Monde and ADMI a little better)

...interestingly, the Byard trio has Jean-My Truong, drummer of Perception, in the mix. I don't have it, but look forward to hearing it some day.

Recommended!!!

The Reece , truth be told , I'm interested in for John Gilmore's contribution as much as anything . I'm anticipating a looser more adventurous album than any of the Reece Blue Notes .

I know the solo Byard is going to be captivating - just hope he had a good piano .

You sound a little less enamored of the Waldrons . The only Waldron I have from that period is the ECM Free At Last which I don't listen to as often as his earlier records .

Of the titles you've recommended I'm only familiar with the Hal Singer . That one doesn't do much for me . Singer plays with a lighter tone and less gruffness than his earlier rough and tumble approach which I prefer . Siegfried Kessler sounds like Roger Kellaway at times , not a particularly good fit for Singer . Best track for me is the waltz-ballad featuring Kessler's flute work .

As to the other recommendations , could you say a couple of words about each to give me some musical reference points .

have posted this elsewhere, but a sample track as part of a radio broadcast from the Reece Futura album is found here

http://dizzyreece.blogspot.com/2005/02/jaz...ogram-wbgo.html

i think it is track 14, as (if i remember this correctly) an annotated version of the same thing is found here (scroll down a bit)

http://www.christopherporter.com/2005/02/d...deux-after.html

edit: just to help my own memory, maybe someone else will find it interesting as well, pretty informative site on Magma and related issues...

http://members.aol.com/sleeplessz/index.htm

Edited by Niko

Also worth seeking out:

Ted Curson - Pop Wine

Recommended!!!

The Reece , truth be told , I'm interested in for John Gilmore's contribution as much as anything . I'm anticipating a looser more adventurous album than any of the Reece Blue Notes .

I know the solo Byard is going to be captivating - just hope he had a good piano .

You sound a little less enamored of the Waldrons . The only Waldron I have from that period is the ECM Free At Last which I don't listen to as often as his earlier records .

Of the titles you've recommended I'm only familiar with the Hal Singer . That one doesn't do much for me . Singer plays with a lighter tone and less gruffness than his earlier rough and tumble approach which I prefer . Siegfried Kessler sounds like Roger Kellaway at times , not a particularly good fit for Singer . Best track for me is the waltz-ballad featuring Kessler's flute work .

As to the other recommendations , could you say a couple of words about each to give me some musical reference points .

The Reece is a stormer - the rhythm section keeps a heavy North African groove underneath and around very, very fiery solos from Reece (crackling and brittle) and Gilmore (gutsy blowing a la his work with Hill and La Roca). Kessler more than holds his own, as I think he does on the Gill's Club disc, which is a sparse, "modal/free" piano trio with some unexpected "hookiness." I love Phillips and McCall, but I wouldn't just get this for the bass and drums alone. They work very well as a trio.

I don't know how to classify the Boni (maybe that's why it was part of their "SON" series of experimental records), but it is one of the coolest solo guitar records I own. It is improvised, but with a folksy atmospheric that reaches into other areas than Derek Bailey or Ian Brighton might.

Perception are ostensibly a free jazz/rock fusion band consisting of Yochko Seffer (also of Magma, on saxes and clarinets), Kessler, the fine bassist Didier Levallet and drummer Jean-My Truong, who is a whirlwind unto himself. Minimalist grooves that build slowly until before you know it, notes are bouncing off the walls! Very heavy stuff...

Francois Tusques' solo albums contain a mixture of Maoist folk melodies, Basque music, contemporary classical and Monkish themes. He's simply one of the most interesting European jazz pianists of the past forty years.

The Greene is wild; it's somewhat of a transitional record between his BYG Actuel date and the Indo-Jazz inflections of his later '70s work. Greene is on electric piano and percussion here, Alteena pretty much going buck-wild on arco atop Greene's circular melodies. Definitely worth checking out.

Don't get me wrong on Mal - I really like a lot of his '70s output, I just think some of his other records are stronger than the Blood & Guts trio. The Opening is a bitch, but pales in comparison to All Alone ('66, on GTA).

• 5 months later...

does a second of the thollot sound like proto-techno? i can't tell if i got a bad burn with some random techno tune accidentally overdubbed or if it is truly part of the music. some of the thollot reminds me of umma-gumma ish pink floyd.

Not accidental. That record is wasted.

Hi Clifford, Just searching the net last night and I noticed you made reference to some guitar music that goes into areas further than those deployed by the late Derek Bailey or myself (Ian Brighton). I am absolutely staggered that anyone has ever heard of my music as the last record I made was in 1988. I did most of my playing and recording between 1973 and 1977 with only a few major concerts afterward and a single CD called 'Eleven years from yesterday' in 1988 with Phil Wachsmann,Marcio Mattos, Trevor Taylor and the late Pete Jacobsen. Can you please tell me where you heard any of my music - best regards Ian Brighton

• 1 year later...

bump

here's a thread about Ted Curson's "Pop Wine" (which I got, in the meantime).

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=14208

and a thread about James Spaulding's fine "Down With It":

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=48794

seems Futura/Marge have been doing some interesting reissues lately:

Marge 45

campbe_roy~_tributeto_101b.jpg

Tribute to Albert Ayler - Live at the Dynamo

Roy Campbell (trompette, trompette de poche, flûte de bambou, effets sonores et voix), Joe McPhee (saxophone ténor, trompette de poche et voix), William Parker (contrebasse et voix) & Warren Smith (batterie, percussions et voix)

Pantin (France) le 21 novembre 2008

Blue Marge 1005 (upcoming)

bluemarge1005_130.jpg

Sam Rivers - Crosscurrent

Sam Rivers (saxophones ténor et soprano, flûte, piano & voix), Jerry Byrd (guitare), Rael Wesley Grant (basse électrique) et Steve Ellington (batterie)

Paris-La Défense le 4 avril 1981

Futura Swing 01 (upcoming)

futuraswing01_130.jpg

Hal Singer (saxophone ténor), Jacques Bolognési (trombone), Jean-Claude André (guitare), Siegfried Kessler (piano, orgue hammond & flûte), Patrice Caratini (contrebasse), Art Taylor (drums) et Alain "Paco" Charlery (percussions)

Paris le 18 mai 1971

Marge 43

domanc_soph_washedawa_101b.jpg

Sophia Domancich / William Parker / Hamid Drake - Washed Away / Live at the Sunside

Sophia Domancich (piano), William Parker (contrebasse) & Hamid Drake (batterie)

Paris les 1er et 2 juillet 2008

Marge 42

marge42_130.jpg

Alexandra Grimal Trio - Shape / Live at the Sunset

Alexandra Grimal (saxophones ténor et soprano), Antonin Rayon (orgue Hammond et Clavinet) & Emmanuel Scarpa (batterie)

Paris le 30 juin 2008

Marge 41

FAB trio (Fonda / Altschul / Bang) - A Night In Paris / Live at the Sunset

Joe Fonda (contrebasse), Barry Altschul (batterie) & Billy Bang (violon)

Paris le 19 avril 2008

and more on their new releases page

---------------------------

also I wasn't aware of some other rather recent releases that look tasty:

Marge 40

trio3oliver_whatsnine_101b.jpg

Trio 3 - Wha's Nine / Live at the Sunset

Oliver Lake (saxophone alto), Reggie Workman (contrebasse) & Andrew Cyrille (batterie)

Paris le 28 octobre 2007

Blue Marge 1009

curson_ted~_tedcurson_101b.jpg

Ted Curson - In Paris / Live at the Sunside (Double CD)

Ted Curson (trompette, trompette piccolo, bugle & voix), with Alain Jean-Marie (piano), Gilles Naturel (contrebasse), Philippe Soirat (batterie), Pierrick Pédron (saxophone alto), Guillaume Naturel (flûte), Julie Saury (percussions), Sylvia Howard (voix) et Ferhat Öz, Evrim Özsuca, Daiva Starinskaite, Jaanika Ventsel (voix & choeur)

Paris les 30 et 31 août 2006

Futura Ger 34

shihab_sahi_sahibshih_104b.jpg

Sahib Shihab + Jef Gilson Unit - La marche dans le désert

Sahib Shihab (Saxophone baryton, et varitone soprano saxophone), Jef Gilson (piano électrique, ondoline et percussions), Pierre Moret (orgue Hammond, ondoline et percussions), Jean-François Catoire (contrebasse), Jean-Claude Pourtier (batterie, percussions et sifflet), Maurice Bouhana (batterie, percussions et flûte) et Bruno Di Goia (balafon, bongos et flûte)

Paris le 15 février 1972

It's interesting that there are three fine young French lady sax players around right now - Alexandra Grimal with her fine organ trio (that is: ts/org/d), Géraldine Laurent with the Time Out Trio (as/b/d, sometimes with piano or fender rhodes added - saw her live and got her CD, highly recommended!), and Sophie Alour (ts, usually with p/b/d or elp/b/d, sometimes adding guitar as well).

I've first heard all of them thanks to live broadcasts on French radio, and I want to get their discs (in the cases of Grimal and Alour, and if Laurent has a new one out, I'll look for it as well).

Good to see that Grimal has one out on such a nice label now!

thanks for gathering all those fine pictures... on the label's website there are full sample tracks even of many unavailable albums... other one's which seem to be currently available are pepper adams and ben webster with the georges arvanitas trio (two distinct albums...)

impro02_130.jpgfuturaswing06_130.jpg

have cut my current wish list down to these three (comments welcome!):

ted curson - pop wine

mal waldron/johnny dyani - some jive ass boer

jazzunite102_130.jpg

raymond boni - l'oiseau, l'arbre, le béton

futurason01_130.jpg

too bad, i missed the dizzy reece this time again...

only have two of their albums, dexter gordon/arvanitas and chris woods/arvanitas... especially the gordon album is recommended, don't have it here but it's a very long cd with, say, 25 minutes of bonus tracks, and a fine quintet featuring trumpeter sonny grey plus arvanitas/sampson/saudrais

futurager41_130.jpg

sound samples from the freddie redd sounds excellent (that one is available it seems, as is the jaki byard, the thollot and quite a few more)

their website

http://futuramarge.free.fr/

has anyone ordered directly from them?

Edited by Niko

Others have... I think it might be worth a try to write a mail if you plan to order more than three discs, you might get some kind of offer (less than 10€ per disc, that is). I dimly remember someone mentioning that, longtime ago, so maybe it's no longer like that, who knows...

That Pepper Adams one with Arvanitas looks fine!

Anyone has heard the Byard and Redd discs?

The Boni is discussed above a bit...

And hellyeah, I want that Reece as well!!!

That Pepper Adams one with Arvanitas looks fine!

Anyone has heard the Byard and Redd discs?

Both (Byard and Redd) are highly recommended. Very nice albums...

The Byard CD added a medley to the original release. I have the Redd vinyl, don't think there is additional material on the CD reissue.

Don't overlook the Georges Arvanitas releases. Some of his best work appeared on the label.

The Byard Futura LP Parisian Solos was reissued a year or so ago, I think on Musica. Are these the tracks?

A Tribute to Jimmy Slide

Love Is Here to Stay

Willow Weep for Me

Bugle Call Rag

When Lights Are Low

Dedicated to Bob Vatel of Ten Gallons

Isle to Isle

Shiny Stockings

Besame Mucho

Going Home Blues

I'll have to check when I get home.