Women of Organissimo

Peter

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember posting something about this on the old board. Women just don't like jazz. Some pretend to, which is nice. For awhile. Then the truth comes out.

The women here who do post, don't post much about jazz. I will now back into my caveman home, and let the flaming commence! :rhappy:

I remember posting something about this on the old board. Women just don't like jazz. Some pretend to, which is nice. For awhile. Then the truth comes out.

The women here who do post, don't post much about jazz. I will now back into my caveman home, and let the flaming commence! :rhappy:

No flames here. But Valerie's insights into and knowledge of the jazz musicians she's known are some of the most valuable things on this board.

My wife would agree with you. She says women have much better things to do with their lives than bother about music of any kind. I won't argue. Would you?

MG

No flames here. But Valerie's insights into and knowledge of the jazz musicians she's known are some of the most valuable things on this board.

My wife would agree with you. She says women have much better things to do with their lives than bother about music of any kind. I won't argue. Would you?

MG

Oh, I think(hope?) everyone knows I am kidding. I wish more women liked jazz, really liked jazz.

As for arguing with a woman....nope...not going to go there, I will just get in trouble with the women on this forum, both of them!

One big difference I notice at jazz gigs today - as opposed to half a century ago when I first started listening - is how many women there are now taking an active interest in the music. No longer just "chicks" on guys' arms, as in the old days.

One big difference I notice at jazz gigs today - as opposed to half a century ago when I first started listening - is how many women there are now taking an active interest in the music. No longer just "chicks" on guys' arms, as in the old days.

I'm skeptical of this Bill . I mean , how can you look over a crowd and tell who's with whom ? If women's attendance reflects a true interest then wouldn't you expect to see an equal number of women in the jazz sections of music stores , or women with bigger jazz collections than your own , or a lot more women posting on the various jazz bulletin boards or writing for jazz publications ?

Women just don't like jazz. Some pretend to, which is nice. For awhile. Then the truth comes out.

Egalitarian fantasies notwithstanding , most women view jazz the way men view cuddling : as an adjunct or instrumentality to something more 'valued' .

Egalitarian fantasies notwithstanding , most women view jazz the way men view cuddling : as an adjunct or instrumentality to something more 'valued' .

But, unless you have asked most men and women and you are absolutely sure that they are being candid, you can only speak for yourself. :rolleyes:

Unless I missed something , everyone here is 'only' speaking for themselves . I suspect your pique has little to do with the fact that I failed to affix IMO to my post . I see your comment as disingenuous , for you must surely be familiar with the science of sampling and the fact that one needn't ask most people in order to make inferences about them , hence you must know that strictly speaking , your statement is false . In addition , my view presumes nothing about people's candor , since as my response to Bill outlined , it is predicated on a collection of my own and others' observations and reasonable inferences therefrom .

But, unless you have asked most men and women and you are absolutely sure that they are being candid, you can only speak for yourself. :rolleyes:

Unless I missed something , everyone here is 'only' speaking for themselves . I suspect your pique has little to do with the fact that I failed to affix IMO to my post . I see your comment as disingenuous , for you must surely be familiar with the science of sampling and the fact that one needn't ask most people in order to make inferences about them , hence you must know that strictly speaking , your statement is false . In addition , my view presumes nothing about people's candor , since as my response to Bill outlined , it is predicated on a collection of my own and others' observations and reasonable inferences therefrom .

single, eh?

Amazing! I thought I was less transparent.

I'm too busy to post because of my archery and stuff like that. :)

... or a lot more women posting on the various jazz bulletin boards or writing for jazz publications ?

I don't think one can gauge loving jazz music by how much one writes on bulletin boards. Some people express themselves by writing; others express themselves in other ways; others just like to listen and learn. Obviously.

edited to add quote and a few more words. :)

Edited by rachel

Which gender they have selected in their profile ?

somehow you doubt I'm a woman?

It's just that when i searched for female members in the search function, your name did not come up. My apologies if i offended you in any way.

Oh, not at all. I see your point (about the search function). 7/4 didn't have to search to know that I'm female from prior conversation on the board. :)

I'm assuming that you know these two things to be true because................................?

How can you possibly know how most women [using the same all-encompassing term as did you] view jazz?

I don't know that most men view cuddling as an adjunct or instrumentality to something more 'valued."

Both statements may very well be true for some women and for some men.

Thank you, patricia! :g :g :g

I don't think one can gauge loving jazz music by how much one writes on bulletin boards. Some people express themselves by writing; others express themselves in other ways; others just like to listen and learn. Obviously.

Indeed! And some of us are practicing our instruments, among other things. :P

The assumptions about women here make me shake my head, if only because my 84-year-old mother, who wanted to be a jazz pianist, started loving Monk's music back when he was still being slammed (by other musicians) for not playing jazz... and whatever else. ;)

Oh, and then there was the guy (on another board) who was absolutely shocked to see that I enjoy music from the Middle East (etc.), because women aren't interested in things like that - too "complicated."

Edited by seeline