Online vinyl purchasing

porter_esq

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a neat shop loaded with original soul jazz records, even has a funky Hammond B3 record store

Don Patterson

Bennie Maupin

Gene Ammons

Leon Spencer

Dexter Gordon

Rusty Bryant

Charles Earland

Boogaloo Joe Jones

Gloria Coleman

HERE'S THE LINK:

http://stores.ebay.com/Bertshop

Yes, Bert's is pretty good. I've bought a few things from there in recent months. Bert puts up a thread here when he has a new bunch of stuff.

MG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

And what about 295 $ STARTING BID for Serge Chaloff 's Blue Serge?

Actually I think Blue Serge is still available because of it otherwise... :w

Why pay that? www.vinyl.com has 3 different versions available new. Might not sound as great as an original, but should sound fine and you save hundreds (maybe thousands) of dollars.

Kevin,

I would like to buy Out To Lunch! and vinyl.com came up in my search, but it gives me zero details about the pressing. The price is fantastic, but I don't want to buy some sh!t vinyl. I have this album on CD (more than one actually), and want a quality LP. How do I find out more about what vinyl.com is selling? Does anyone know where I can get a nice heavy pressing of this album?

I looked at jazzrecordscene.com... $200 for Out To Lunch! Sorry, but I can't deal with that. I guess these are the folks that spend thousands on a turntable.

Kevin,

I would like to buy Out To Lunch! and vinyl.com came up in my search, but it gives me zero details about the pressing. The price is fantastic, but I don't want to buy some sh!t vinyl. I have this album on CD (more than one actually), and want a quality LP. How do I find out more about what vinyl.com is selling? Does anyone know where I can get a nice heavy pressing of this album?

I looked at jazzrecordscene.com... $200 for Out To Lunch! Sorry, but I can't deal with that. I guess these are the folks that spend thousands on a turntable.

I cannot recommend www.vinyl.com because I have not used them. For titles like "Out To Lunch", if you already have the CD, stick to that, because the LP at vinyl.com is made from the digital master that was created for that CD. You are basically getting an LP copy of the CD.

If you have the cash, Music Matters is coming out with a 45 rpm version of this sometime in the next year. While it will likely sound great, it will have one tune per LP side (about 10 minutes). I am not buying any of these. 33 rpm maybe, but not 45 rpm.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. How do I know which records are made from a digital master?

I'm not in the $50 lp market either...

Hard to tell with reissues. Basically you should buy only pre 1980 pressings.

I think that in used vinyl market you should go for what you find, not for what you want: there are lots of great used records under 20 $.

I mean that if you look for original BN or Prestige they will rip you off.

Overseas we go for german and dutch reissues of the Big Guns, cheap and excellent pressings.

Edited by porcy62

Thanks Kevin. How do I know which records are made from a digital master?

I'm not in the $50 lp market either...

Hard to tell with reissues. Basically you should buy only pre 1980 pressings.

I think that in used vinyl market you should go for what you find, not for what you want: there are lots of great used records under 20 $.

I mean that if you look for original BN or Prestige they will rip you off.

Overseas we go for german and dutch reissues of the Big Guns, cheap and excellent pressings.

Just a shout here for UK issues and reissues, I've yet to be disappointed by UK pressings from 60s through to mid 80s. Some labels such as Transatlantic (for Prestige material), Fontana (ESP), are excellent.

I've noticed that 80s Steeplechase vinyl is a bit spotty, nothing terrible but not the quietest. All OJC vinyl seems to fine, mine go upto 1992 I think and irrespective of master source (digi or analog) all sound very good, nice quiet pressings. I avoid almost all BN vinyl reissues from the 80s (DMM- French) as distortion often a problem. I'm happy with my McMaster Cds on the whole. Just a few random thoughts that guide by vinyl buying. :rolleyes:

I don't think the early seventies RCA UK, or the early eighties Ace, pressings for Prestige material were terribly good. Nor the French Carrere Fantasy stuff.

MG

The Ace LPs are pretty much from the fag-end of the LP era, flimsy vinyl with light card covers , many seem to indicate that they're from digital masters. The few I have however , sound fine. Mose Allison Sings sounds as good as a Prestige original I have.

RCA UK produced Prestige 2fers ( Black Pearl, Cookin/Relaxin and many others sound great to me, no complaints here. 60s budget UK labels such as Egmont, Society are often poor where as WRC aren't bad and in many cases excellent IMO

I don't think the early seventies RCA UK, or the early eighties Ace, pressings for Prestige material were terribly good. Nor the French Carrere Fantasy stuff.

MG

The Ace LPs are pretty much from the fag-end of the LP era, flimsy vinyl with light card covers , many seem to indicate that they're from digital masters. The few I have however , sound fine. Mose Allison Sings sounds as good as a Prestige original I have.

I think I agree with you on the sound. I feel they damage easily.

RCA UK produced Prestige 2fers ( Black Pearl, Cookin/Relaxin and many others sound great to me, no complaints here. 60s budget UK labels such as Egmont, Society are often poor where as WRC aren't bad and in many cases excellent IMO

I was thinking more of albums like Bernard Purdie's "Shaft" and Ammons/Stitt "You talk that talk". Looking through the Prestige discography, I think they were about the only two contemporary Prestige albums that RCA issued in Britain; almost everything I bought on Prestige (and it was one of their best periods) in those days had to be imported from the US. The only twofer I bought on RCA was Ammons' "Organ combos", which is pretty well all right - but that was a few years later - 1977, as opposed to 1973 for the single LPs.

But the Musidisc stuff is a lot worse.

MG

RCA UK produced Prestige 2fers ( Black Pearl, Cookin/Relaxin and many others sound great to me, no complaints here.

No complaints from me either on the sound for the UK and US issues (often the UK issues had US sleeves anyway). The ones I have more of a problem with are the French 'Carerre', which can be spotty. Remember when that first series of RCA/Prestiges twofers came out - it was like Alladin's Cave ! Right in the middle of the first oil crisis too (the thickness of vinyl dropped significantly during the period so you sometimes find the first titles in the series with nice heavy slabs of vinyl and the later twofers from 77-78 with frisbees).

Edited by sidewinder

RCA UK produced Prestige 2fers ( Black Pearl, Cookin/Relaxin and many others sound great to me, no complaints here.

No complaints from me either on the sound for the UK and US issues (often the UK issues had US sleeves anyway). The ones I have more of a problem with are the French 'Carerre', which can be spotty. Remember when that first series of RCA/Prestiges twofers came out - it was like Alladin's Cave ! Right in the middle of the first oil crisis too (the thickness of vinyl dropped significantly during the period so you sometimes find the first titles in the series with nice heavy slabs of vinyl and the later twofers from 77-78 with frisbees).

Mind you, the original Prestige issues in 1973 were the REAL frisbees. However, I suspect few here will have had the originals of:

10053 Rusty Bryant - Friiday night funk

10054 Maynard Parker - Midnight rider

10055 Houston Person - Sweet buns & barbecue

10056 Boogaloo Joe Jones - Snake rhythm rock

10058 Gene Ammons - Got my own

10059 Funk inc - Hangin' out

by 10061 - Earland's "Charles III", the pressings had firmed up again.

MG