60's and 70's dates from The Bastards™ -- working list

Rooster_Ties

What I want to know, Tom, is how to make that little trademark thingie on the thread title. :)

Alt+0153 = ™

Alt+0174 = ®

Alt+0169 = ©

Or alternately, they're all available on your computer at charmap.exe.

edit - Sorry, I wasn't Tom, so I can delete that if you prefer... :eye:

Thanks! :excited:

You don't need to know the code to post on the board. Parentheses around tm, c and r will make it happen.

©

®

Thanks Dan!

Agg, STFU! :lol:

oh "the call" used to be one of my top 3 albums ever when i owned it on vinyl (still do) but when i bought the CD my tumesence faded.

the reason being i began to dislike the long spacey section in the second song.

but overall that album has everything i could want (2 keyboards, eberhard weber, a soulful underrecorded drummer, on japo) but that spacey section made me lose my boner....making the fading of my love even sadder because it could have been the perfect album.

i am about to sell like 95% of my CDs.

Why, dumpy? You have such a cool collection. I hope everything's OK. :unsure:

Yeah, but I really want to know why 'Dumpy mama" who stated she's a woman previously, then made contradictory comments elsewhere and now talks about "tumescence" and "boners" ... its time to come out and tell us once and for all. In the words of House, are your genitals aesthetically pleasing or do they dangle?

Dammit, are you through now? :g :g :g

princelasha_insidesto_101s.jpg

Prince Lasha -- Inside Story (1965) /Search For Tomorrow (1974) -- Enja (Germany), 1965/1974

Rare work from two albums by Prince Lasha -- featuring Lasha on flute and alto in 1965, in a quartet with Herbie Hancock, Cecil McBee, and Jimmy Lovelace. The tracks are extended and soulful -- with some of the freedoms of the post-Dolphy years, but handled in a way that's got more of a 70s soul jazz approach. And a 1974 live set recorded at the Berkeley Jazz Festival, with a group that includes Ron Carter, Hubert Eaves, and Roy McCurdy. Lasha plays flute, alto, and baritone -- and the tracks are longer, with a more stretched out 70s spiritual approach -- never "out", but exploratory and searching.

Prince Lasha - Recommended. I dig Prince Lasha.

Sangrey is biased because he played with Prince Lasha.

Not true, unfortunately. Never even met the man. The Gonsalez/Lasha stuff happened when I was living elsewhere.

Working my list down to something I can afford -- thanks for all the advice people. (I've about got it down to 15 discs at this point.)

Three titles I'd still LOVE to get, but I can't seem to find any on-line sound-samples to seal the deal, are...

hino_teruma_countercu_101s.jpg

Terumasa Hino / Masabumi Kikuchi (co-leaders) -- Counter Current -- Sony (Japan), 2007 (so yes, this is a recent recording)

brilliant reunion, a fair bit darker and more experimental than before. a return to more avant modes that is surprising. Kikuchi plays acoustic piano throughout (and Hino trumpet) -- often in a spaciously brooding way -- group features Michael Attias on alto sax, Thomas Morgan on bass, and Paul Motian on drums.

mckinn_haro_mckinfolk_101s.jpg

Harold McKinney -- McKinfolk, Live At The Serengeti -- McKinney Arts, 1996 (so a more relatively recent recording)

legend of Detroit Tribe Records scene of the 70s, with former Tribe artists Wendell Harrison on tenor and clarinet and Marcus Belgrave on trumpet -- plus additional players who include Kiane Zawadi on trombone, Reggie Workman on bass, Francisco Mora on percussion, and Jimmy Owens on trumpet. A bit of vocals, but not that much -- most tracks are long and open -- freely exploratory, but never too far out or avant-styled -- just soulful and spiritual, in the true Tribe Records tradition.

moshe_lon~~_loveiswhe_101s.jpg

Lon Moshe -- Love Is Where The Spirit Lies -- Black Fire, 1977

intense album of spiritual jazz tracks -- played by Lon Moshe and the Southern Freedom Arkestra! The album was recorded in 1976, during the height of the Black Fire DC underground scene -- and Moshe's playing vibes at the head of a large group that's the most spiritual ensemble on the already pretty darn spiritual Black Fire label. Tracks are long and free floating -- as vibes and marimba mix with piano, strings, percussion, trumpet, and occasional vocals.

Anybody have any more luck than me finding on-line soundclips of these three?? Even just a clip from one track would be helpful.

(Side note: I've been amazed at how many of these weird, obscure Dusty things that I HAVE been able to find on-line clips for. Damn near everything I've posted about in this thread. That REALLY helps with taking chances on things.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Dammit, are you through now? :g :g :g

princelasha_insidesto_101s.jpg

Prince Lasha -- Inside Story (1965) /Search For Tomorrow (1974) -- Enja (Germany), 1965/1974

Rare work from two albums by Prince Lasha -- featuring Lasha on flute and alto in 1965, in a quartet with Herbie Hancock, Cecil McBee, and Jimmy Lovelace. The tracks are extended and soulful -- with some of the freedoms of the post-Dolphy years, but handled in a way that's got more of a 70s soul jazz approach. And a 1974 live set recorded at the Berkeley Jazz Festival, with a group that includes Ron Carter, Hubert Eaves, and Roy McCurdy. Lasha plays flute, alto, and baritone -- and the tracks are longer, with a more stretched out 70s spiritual approach -- never "out", but exploratory and searching.

Prince Lasha - Recommended. I dig Prince Lasha.

Sangrey is biased because he played with Prince Lasha.

Not true, unfortunately. Never even met the man. The Gonsalez/Lasha stuff happened when I was living elsewhere.

Really? I could swear you were credited alongside Lasha on one of the Daagnim sessions (and one that, sadly, I don't own). Must've combined it from multiple sessions and I missed that.

Edited by clifford_thornton

• 1 month later...

Workin' on a NEW Dusty order.

Anybody know anything about any of these, good or bad?? (Again, it's "Buzzword Bingo" time.)

eastnewyork_atthehelm_101s.jpg

East New York Ensemble De Music -- At The Helm ... CD . . . $11.99 (Item: 81551)

Ikef/Folkways, 1974

An extremely righteous bit of soul jazz -- originally issued in a very small pressing by Folkway Records, at a time when the label was doing some great underground recordings! The sound is loose and free -- spiritually building in a manner that recalls the work of Ahmed Abdul Malik, Phil Cohran, and some of the AACM -- and the album has a style that's exploratory, but never goes too far out, or loses its sense of rhythm and swing. Tracks are longish, and the core group features soprano sax and Korean reeds by Bilal Abdurahman and vibes by Ameen Nuraldeen -- plus guest work on bass by James Smith, and appearances by a lot of different world percussion players. There's a nice Eastern feel to some of the tracks, and titles include "Mevlana", "Ti Ti", "Sun Flower", and "Bent El Jerusalem".

ishika_akir_bakishinb_101s.jpg

Akira Ishikawa Count Buffalo Jazz & Rock Band -- Bakishinba -- Memories Of Africa (Japanese paper sleeve edition) ... CD . . . $24.99 (Item: 471192)

Polydor (Japan), 1970

One of the funkiest records ever from Akira Ishikawa and his Count Buffalos band -- a hip little groover that stands head to head with some of the best funky jazz from the US and Europe of the time! Despite Akira's earthy look on the cover, the record's got a relatively electric feel overall -- thanks to some sweet electric piano from Hiromasa Suzuki and organ from Norio Maeda -- both of whom work together on most numbers, with a great sense of flow between the keyboards! The rhythms have some Latin and African percussion added on the bottom, which gives the grooves a nicely chunky feel -- and some cuts have some sharp-edged tenor solos from Takeru Muraoka, who further deepens the soul of the set. The album's a really tremendous one through and through -- as righteous as a lost American funky fusion set from the early 70s -- and titles include "African Deer", "Sunrise", "Sandstorm", "Blue Soul", "Bakishinba", and "Mirage".

land_harold_peacemake_101s.jpg

Harold Land -- Peace-Maker ... CD . . . $21.99 (Item: 430101)

Cadet (Japan), 1968

A fantastically beautiful record that stands as the first meeting between Bobby Hutcherson and Harold Land -- an album that's possibly even better than the more famous Blue Note work by the pair! This is one of those "once in a lifetime" jazz sessions -- filled with magical interplay that's made the record a favorite with collectors for years, and done with a sound that's as lyrically graceful as it is soulful and righteous! Hutcherson's vibes are at their warmest 60s mode, but still have some of the angularity of his more modern sides for Blue Note -- but Land is the real discovery here -- as he steps out with a fluidity that surpasses any of his earlier hardbop albums, a flowing exploratory style expressed on both flute and tenor -- with a mode that's years ahead of its time, and sounds a lot more like work on labels like Strata East or Muse from the 70s. Tracks are nearly all originals by Land, and are the kind of thoughtful jazz compositions that show up on a rare few records from the 60s -- all of them are great, and sparkle with creativity and a subdued sense of righteousness. Titles include "One For Nini", "Angel Dance", "The Peace Maker", "40 Love", "Stylin", and "The Aquarian".

Harold McKinney -- McKinfolk -- Live At The Serengeti ... CD . . . $11.99 (Item: 471082)

McKinney Arts, 1996

A really great recent concert from this legend of the Detroit Tribe Records scene of the 70s -- a set that's got an incredible depth of imagination and soul, almost as much as Harold McKinney's work of years back! The group here is a wonderfully hip one -- with former Tribe artists Wendell Harrison on tenor and clarinet and Marcus Belgrave on trumpet -- plus additional players who include Kiane Zawadi on trombone, Reggie Workman on bass, Francisco Mora on percussion, and Jimmy Owens on trumpet. There's a bit of vocals on the record, but never that much -- and most tracks are long and open -- freely exploratory, but never too far out or avant-styled -- just soulful and spiritual, in the true Tribe Records tradition! Titles include "Wide & Blue", "Like What Is This", "Waltz For Ima", "Juba", "Libra Ahora", and "Conjure Man".

pate_johnny_shaftinaf_101s.jpg

Johnny Pate/Four Tops -- Shaft In Africa (limited LP sleeve edition) ... CD . . . $16.99 (Item: 385260)

ABC/Hip-O Select, 1973

One of the greatest blacksploitation soundtracks ever -- a massively beautiful record that goes beyond any cliches of the genre, and serves up a fantastically unique batch of tracks! Chisoul arranger Johnny Pate did the music for the film -- and (dare we say it?) it's even greater that Issac Hayes' work for the first Shaft film -- with a depth, sensitivity, and soul that's really amazing -- and which has kept the record at the top of our crates for many years. The 4 Tops turn out a great later vocal on the album's theme tune "Are You Man Enough" -- and Johnny himself does stellar work on the tracks "Shaft In Africa", "Headman", "You Can't Even Walk In The Park", "El Jardia", "Jazar's Theme", and "Truck Stop"!

sharps_jess_sharpsfla_101s.jpg

Jesse Sharps Quintet/Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra -- Sharps & Flats ... CD . . . $11.99 (Item: 369246)

Nimbus, 1979/1985

Soaring spiritual soul jazz from the LA scene -- a CD that features a beautiful performance by the Jesse Sharps Quintet, plus a longer extended track from Horace Tapscott's Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra! We'll be honest in saying that we'd never heard of Sharps before this CD -- but he's a heck of a great saxophonist, with a sound that recalls the glory days of the Strata East scene, and the beautiful post-Coltrane Muse sessions by Earl & Carl Grubbs. His group for the session features some excellent work by the great Nate Morgan on piano -- driving away in long, rhythmic passages that are very much in the mode of Morgan's own Nimbus recordings -- and carried through with an equal amount of soul. Horace Tapscott joins the group on two numbers as well -- before stepping over to lead his expanded Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra on the CD's extra cut -- a composition by Sharps that's entitled "McKowsky's First Fifth" -- played by a great Nimbus-esque group that includes Adele Sebastian on flute, Sabia Mateen on tenor, Billie Harris on soprano, and Horace Tapscott on piano. Other titles on the CD include "The Goat & The Ramjam", "As A Child", "Mike's Tune", "Macrame", and "Carnival" -- and the whole set of tracks is easily one of the greatest recordings on the legendary Nimbus label!

wilson_reub_ciscokid~_101s.jpg

Reuben Wilson -- Cisco Kid ... CD . . . $10.99 (Item: 464772)

Groove Merchant/Unidisc (Canada), 1974

One of the best 70s albums by this funky organ player -- quite different than his work for Blue Note, with a messier funkier edge that's very nice! Reuben Wilson's working with an all-hip lineup, with players who include Melvin Sparks on guitar, Garnett Brown on trombone, Bob Cranshaw on bass, Mickey Roker on drums, and Ray Amando on conga. The groove has a nicely choppy approach to rhythm, which you'll hear on the nice remake of "Cisco Kid", a big sample hit over the years -- plus the sweet originals "Groove Grease" and "Snaps", both of which are hard and funky! The album's also got a great cover of "Superfly" -- and other tracks that include "The Look Of Love", "We've Only Just Begun", and "Last Tango In Paris".

wilson_reub_sweetlife_102s.jpg

Reuben Wilson -- Sweet Life ... CD . . . $10.99 (Item: 464763)

Groove Merchant/Unidisc (Canada), 1972

A great groover by Reuben Wilson -- and one of his best albums ever! The funky organist really takes off from the sound of his earlier Blue Note albums here -- hitting a vibe that's sharper, darker, and plenty darn righteous -- still small combo jazz funk, but with a depth that we wouldn't have expected a few years before! The group's a great one -- with Ramon Morris laying down some great lines on tenor sax, plus Bill Hardman on trumpet, Lloyd Davis on guitar, Mickey Bass on bass, and Thomas Derrick on tightly funky drums. The album features Reuben's amazing cover of "Inner City Blues" -- which has a great jagged groove that was sampled years back by Tribe Called Quest -- and it also includes the groovy cut "Creampuff", plus "Never Can Say Goodbye", "Sugar", "I'll Take You There", and "The Sweet Life".

Edited by Rooster_Ties

And how about this book??

jazznextsta_jazznexts_102b.jpg

Jazz Next Standard (book) -- Spiritual Jazz -- $21.99

Book (Item 422865) Rittor (Japan), 2006

An essential guide to the hippest in jazz from the 60s, 70s, and 80s -- a wonderful book that specializes in underground spiritual jazz recordings! The volume is similar to other Japanese discographies we've carried -- with images of record covers, session dates, titles, and player information -- plus additional text in Japanese -- and the whole thing's a wonderful guide to lost soul jazz treasures from some of our favorite years in jazz -- including a wealth of indie and small label pressings! The book is divided up into different sections -- Part 1 featuring "25 Masters", with individual passages on Gary Bartz, Carlos Garnett, Billy Harper, Weldon Irvine, Don Cherry, and many others; Part 2 features "Fabulous Labels", including Tribe, Nimbus, Black Jazz, and Strata East; and Part 3 features "Extra Classics" -- more albums that are really lasting classics from the post-Coltrane generation! Book is softcover, 160 pages, with most images in color!

I already have the 1987 (2nd Edition) of "The Complete Blue Note Book - Tribute to Alfred Lion" (Jazz Critique, Special Edition) -- which is mostly in Japanese, but is a nearly complete discography of all released Blue Note albums (discography, not sessionography). I bought it at Euclid Records (I think) back in the early, early 90's -- before I ever knew about the Blue Noe discography/sessionography.

Is this "Spiritual Jazz" Japanese book pretty similar?? Sure looks like it.

Rooster, I actually have this one on LP:

East New York Ensemble De Music -- At The Helm

The description posted is apt. They do Freddie Hubbard's Sunflower. Nice record. One of a kind, if you know what I mean. Never would imagine that it would be re-issued on cd!

Edited by marcello

Responses in blue.

Anybody know anything about any of these, good or bad??

eastnewyork_atthehelm_101s.jpg

land_harold_peacemake_101s.jpg

Harold Land -- Peace-Maker ... CD . . . $21.99 (Item: 430101)

Cadet (Japan), 1968

A fantastically beautiful record that stands as the first meeting between Bobby Hutcherson and Harold Land -- an album that's possibly even better than the more famous Blue Note work by the pair! This is one of those "once in a lifetime" jazz sessions -- filled with magical interplay that's made the record a favorite with collectors for years, and done with a sound that's as lyrically graceful as it is soulful and righteous! Hutcherson's vibes are at their warmest 60s mode, but still have some of the angularity of his more modern sides for Blue Note -- but Land is the real discovery here -- as he steps out with a fluidity that surpasses any of his earlier hardbop albums, a flowing exploratory style expressed on both flute and tenor -- with a mode that's years ahead of its time, and sounds a lot more like work on labels like Strata East or Muse from the 70s. Tracks are nearly all originals by Land, and are the kind of thoughtful jazz compositions that show up on a rare few records from the 60s -- all of them are great, and sparkle with creativity and a subdued sense of righteousness. Titles include "One For Nini", "Angel Dance", "The Peace Maker", "40 Love", "Stylin", and "The Aquarian".

I like it quite a bit. My opinion is not universally held, though.

Harold McKinney -- McKinfolk -- Live At The Serengeti ... CD . . . $11.99 (Item: 471082)

McKinney Arts, 1996

A really great recent concert from this legend of the Detroit Tribe Records scene of the 70s -- a set that's got an incredible depth of imagination and soul, almost as much as Harold McKinney's work of years back! The group here is a wonderfully hip one -- with former Tribe artists Wendell Harrison on tenor and clarinet and Marcus Belgrave on trumpet -- plus additional players who include Kiane Zawadi on trombone, Reggie Workman on bass, Francisco Mora on percussion, and Jimmy Owens on trumpet. There's a bit of vocals on the record, but never that much -- and most tracks are long and open -- freely exploratory, but never too far out or avant-styled -- just soulful and spiritual, in the true Tribe Records tradition! Titles include "Wide & Blue", "Like What Is This", "Waltz For Ima", "Juba", "Libra Ahora", and "Conjure Man".

Nice. Kinda "mellow retro", but with the cred to be so.

sharps_jess_sharpsfla_101s.jpg

Jesse Sharps Quintet/Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra -- Sharps & Flats ... CD . . . $11.99 (Item: 369246)

Nimbus, 1979/1985

Soaring spiritual soul jazz from the LA scene -- a CD that features a beautiful performance by the Jesse Sharps Quintet, plus a longer extended track from Horace Tapscott's Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra! We'll be honest in saying that we'd never heard of Sharps before this CD -- but he's a heck of a great saxophonist, with a sound that recalls the glory days of the Strata East scene, and the beautiful post-Coltrane Muse sessions by Earl & Carl Grubbs. His group for the session features some excellent work by the great Nate Morgan on piano -- driving away in long, rhythmic passages that are very much in the mode of Morgan's own Nimbus recordings -- and carried through with an equal amount of soul. Horace Tapscott joins the group on two numbers as well -- before stepping over to lead his expanded Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra on the CD's extra cut -- a composition by Sharps that's entitled "McKowsky's First Fifth" -- played by a great Nimbus-esque group that includes Adele Sebastian on flute, Sabia Mateen on tenor, Billie Harris on soprano, and Horace Tapscott on piano. Other titles on the CD include "The Goat & The Ramjam", "As A Child", "Mike's Tune", "Macrame", and "Carnival" -- and the whole set of tracks is easily one of the greatest recordings on the legendary Nimbus label!

I really dig this one!

wilson_reub_ciscokid~_101s.jpg

Reuben Wilson -- Cisco Kid ... CD . . . $10.99 (Item: 464772)

Groove Merchant/Unidisc (Canada), 1974

One of the best 70s albums by this funky organ player -- quite different than his work for Blue Note, with a messier funkier edge that's very nice! Reuben Wilson's working with an all-hip lineup, with players who include Melvin Sparks on guitar, Garnett Brown on trombone, Bob Cranshaw on bass, Mickey Roker on drums, and Ray Amando on conga. The groove has a nicely choppy approach to rhythm, which you'll hear on the nice remake of "Cisco Kid", a big sample hit over the years -- plus the sweet originals "Groove Grease" and "Snaps", both of which are hard and funky! The album's also got a great cover of "Superfly" -- and other tracks that include "The Look Of Love", "We've Only Just Begun", and "Last Tango In Paris".

wilson_reub_sweetlife_102s.jpg

Reuben Wilson -- Sweet Life ... CD . . . $10.99 (Item: 464763)

Groove Merchant/Unidisc (Canada), 1972

A great groover by Reuben Wilson -- and one of his best albums ever! The funky organist really takes off from the sound of his earlier Blue Note albums here -- hitting a vibe that's sharper, darker, and plenty darn righteous -- still small combo jazz funk, but with a depth that we wouldn't have expected a few years before! The group's a great one -- with Ramon Morris laying down some great lines on tenor sax, plus Bill Hardman on trumpet, Lloyd Davis on guitar, Mickey Bass on bass, and Thomas Derrick on tightly funky drums. The album features Reuben's amazing cover of "Inner City Blues" -- which has a great jagged groove that was sampled years back by Tribe Called Quest -- and it also includes the groovy cut "Creampuff", plus "Never Can Say Goodbye", "Sugar", "I'll Take You There", and "The Sweet Life".

Both Wilson's are as advertised.

haven't even heard sound clips and it's not really from the 70s or bastards but i immediately thought rooster_ties when i saw this cd

cover_affinity_400.jpg

Nils Wogram's Nostalgia - Affinity

organ trio with Wogram on trombone, Florian Ross (who recorded several nice cds as a pianist for Naxos in the late 90s) on organ and drummer Dejan Terzic

http://www.nilswogram.com/

has soundclips which i cannot play at work...

(the second cd by the group)