NBC suspends David Shuster

On Thursday's "Tucker" on MSNBC, David Shuster, who was serving as guest-host of the program, made a comment about Chelsea Clinton and the Clinton campaign that was irresponsible and inappropriate. Shuster, who apologized this morning on MSNBC and will again this evening, has been suspended from appearing on all NBC News broadcasts, other than to make his apology. He has also extended an apology to the Clinton family. NBC News takes these matters seriously, and offers our sincere regrets to the Clintons for the remarks.

Video and details here.

Edited by Christiern

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Culture Dysfunctionality. Rightly or wrongly, the Pimp Metaphor doesn't "mean" the same thing to people of and under a certain age that it does to those who aren't.

What certain age?? Shuster was born in 1967 (so he's about 40).

Pretty close call, if you ask me. I mean, if he was 25, sure, give him a pass. But 40?

It's not like he's MTV's John Norris, who'll be 50 (50!!!!) sometime next year (Wikipedia says Norris was born in '59).

281x211.jpg

Norris dyes his hair blond now (here he is, below, on the left), so as to look even more like a goofy teenage idiot.

jason_johnresize-thumb.jpg

Now that's TOTALLY PIMP, if you ask me. But just don't ask me to say it out loud on TV, cuz I'll be 40 next year myself. ^_^

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I agree with a poster of a comment following the story:

Let me use Schuster's analogy with more appropriate language: "It seems that Chelsea is being used by her mother in an expedient way fitting of Hill/Bill's modus operandi." Is that appropriate enough for the Clintonistas? The truth is the truth.

As someone pointed out elsewhere today, whose children haven't been campaigning for and/or speaking out on behalf of their political parents in recent times? The Cheney daughters? The five Romney boys? (Not Rudy's kids, though, which tells you something.) John Edwards' daughter? (I think it's his daughter.) But Chelsea (age 28 BTW) is the pimped-out one? And I'm not a Clinton supporter. The problem here IMO is that David Shuster was trying to be (or pretending to be) comfortable in Chris Matthews' clubhouse and, to that end, do some loose, hardy-de-har, "insider" shit-slinging, the looser the better. With Matthews and his ilk, it's one kind of deal -- and I don't like it. But Shuster was just posing -- which is another deal altogether. What it shows you, though -- if I'm right about this -- is how potent the clubhouse vibe can be.

He gets suspended for saying that ?.....whats next ,people can't speak on TV.

Is it the phrase itself that's offensive, or what his choice of words reveals about his own biases? He is supposed to be a newsman, after all. Or maybe that line has been blurred beyond all recognition on TV.

The world is a collection of clubhouses.

And therefore all clubhouse-shaped behavior should get a pass?

No, just a realistic assessment.

Hell, we all live in clubhouses and pretty much all non-suckup or otherwise manipulative behavior is clubhouse behavior. Doesn't mean that propriety and respect and such aren't called for, but geez, saying that Chelsea Clinton is being "pimped out" for political expediency is pretty much true, and everybody knows it's true, and there's nothing intrinsically wrong with it being true. What strikes me as fucked up is the aghastitude of people who act like "pimped out" is a literal reference, like it's calling her a street whore (which would be disrespectful). Anybody who really believes that is...living in a different world than many other people, and anybody else who wants to take offense, all I can say is why? The pimping reference is to her role, not to her person. How out of touch does one have to be to not get that? And truthfully, I suspect that in most of our own personal clubhouses, we know it's truth, but are ashamed to admit that we have such clubhouses, for fear of losing public "moral position". Hey - fuck that.

America is living in so many lies its not funny (well, actually it's damn funny...), and this is just one more.

What strikes me as fucked up is the aghastitude of people who act like "pimped out" is a literal reference, like it's calling her a street whore (which would be disrespectful).

The phrase does suggest a certain cheapness or inappropriateness of her conduct, which as you point out is absurd. As I said, seems to me it reveals more about the person saying it than it does about Chelsea Clinton or what she was actually doing.

Edited by papsrus

fuck NBC but infinitely fuck ** ALL ** the Clintons-- pimping in this conext is 1000% appropriate, although there is an argument against that to the extent it obscures a little bit ** the fact **-- REPEAT: EDC APPROVED GRADE A FACT®--

Chelsea Clinton is insufferable ** whore for power **, & the same goes for every goddamn kid, parent, cousin, etc that campaigns for this shit... oh wait-- wait-- she "believes" in something (besides implicit monarchy?)

you wanna play, asswipe, explain the capital punishment in Arkansas-- explain Waco-- explain the pardons of Marc Rich, the Williamsburg hasids & onwards. (campaign "finance" might be a nice vein to tap.)

i have no opinion on David Shuster one way or the other (like literally none) but this another Clinton publicity stunt & the jackoffs at NBC are playing right into it tho' i hope i'm reading it wrong & in fact it'll die before any bullshit "sympathy" for these scumbags ponds up even a little.

Chelsea, hone, if you read this-- shut the fuck up & count your money. GEORGIA KNOWS BETTER & Brooklyn almost beat your mom down as well (i think the final count was 49% to 48%.)

thanks for understanding, ma'am.

edc

voice of the peephole©

Nice.

Long live Fascism.

:rolleyes:

... geez, saying that Chelsea Clinton is being "pimped out" for political expediency is pretty much true, and everybody knows it's true, and there's nothing intrinsically wrong with it being true....

Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but I don't agree for at least two reasons. First, "being pimped out" implies that Chelsea is being operated by Hillary and Bill by remote control; "pimping herself out," or something like that, would mean that she's doing this herself. As I said a post or two ago, how many adult children of prominent politicians in recent memory have done all they could to support their parents' ambitions (Rudy's kids, again, being the interesting exception)? It's a natural thing to do, and I don't see why it's necessarily a matter of cold-blooded expediency. Chelsea is supposed to grow up in that household and not more or less share her parents' interests and "values"? Geez, she spent her childhood and adolesence in the Arkansas governor's mansion and the f-----g White House. Second, while I believe it's probably wrong to say that Chelsea is merely doing Bill and Hillary's bidding, even if that were true, there are or should be other ways for MSNBC news show hosts or reporters to express that thought, unless there's suddenly been a decision at just this point to change the rules of the game. I mean, I've seen David Shuster do his stuff on MSNBC literally thousands of times in recent years, and never before have I heard him use (arguably affected) "street" lingo to refer to anyone. It might have been refreshing if Shuster, during say the Scooter Libby trial, had said that Libby was acting like Dick Cheney's "punk," but that or anything like that you never heard from him. And now he thinks it's cool. Again, as I think I said before, no need for a hue and cry but certainly an interesting symptom.

Chelsea Clinton is the daughter of a former President and current Senator running for the presidency.

Duh.

The rest is pure Clinton Envy/hate mongering.

Will you conservative jackasses stop at nothing? Has morality been replaced with tablod gossip?

Where are those so-called family values which you are so "famous" for, eh?

Such bullshit.

fuck NBC but infinitely fuck ** ALL ** the Clintons-- pimping in this conext is 1000% appropriate, although there is an argument against that to the extent it obscures a little bit ** the fact **-- REPEAT: EDC APPROVED GRADE A FACT®--

Chelsea Clinton is insufferable ** whore for power **, & the same goes for every goddamn kid, parent, cousin, etc that campaigns for this shit... oh wait-- wait-- she "believes" in something (besides implicit monarchy?)

you wanna play, asswipe, explain the capital punishment in Arkansas-- explain Waco-- explain the pardons of Marc Rich, the Williamsburg hasids & onwards. (campaign "finance" might be a nice vein to tap.)

i have no opinion on David Shuster one way or the other (like literally none) but this another Clinton publicity stunt & the jackoffs at NBC are playing right into it tho' i hope i'm reading it wrong & in fact it'll die before any bullshit "sympathy" for these scumbags ponds up even a little.

Chelsea, hone, if you read this-- shut the fuck up & count your money. GEORGIA KNOWS BETTER & Brooklyn almost beat your mom down as well (i think the final count was 49% to 48%.)

thanks for understanding, ma'am.

edc

voice of the peephole©

Do us a favor, once you form an opinion on this matter, get back to us and let us in on it.

(Kidding)

...but geez, saying that Chelsea Clinton is being "pimped out" for political expediency is pretty much true, and everybody knows it's true, and there's nothing intrinsically wrong with it being true.

I think that's total bullshit, but then I'm probably one of those old farts who reads things into "pimped out" that you hip young people don't see...