Preparing for exile in what could be a hostile land

pollock

His unhappy personal life (he was an alcoholic) and his premature death in a car crash contributed to his legendary status.
:(

About Pollock, the painter, I saw the big exhibition in Paris in 1982, it was quite an experience. About alcoholic and the premature death and the all the leftist critics, BULLSHIT! He was a damn great painter, like Rotkho.

And I invite you all to see his painting "Summertime" at the Modern Tate, London, an enlightening experience, not different from some cornerstones of jazz history like Kind Of Blue or A Love Supreme.

In other words, EDC's words, fuck you if you didn't understand the GREAT JACKSON POLLOCK!

I happen to like his paintings, I've been up to the Museum of Modern Art, they have a room full. He sure had a painfully sad life.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I happen to like his paintings, I've been up to the Museum of Modern Art, they have a room full. He sure had a painfully sad life.

What I meant is that he'd be a GREAT even if he'd spent the rest of his life playing golf with Ronald Reagan.

Now there's a topic for discussion.

If Jackson Pollock lived, who would he play golf with, Jimmy Carter or Ronald Reagan? Or would he just drip paint instead?

What I meant is that he'd be a GREAT even if he'd spent the rest of his life playing golf with Ronald Reagan.

Now there's a topic for discussion.

If Jackson Pollock lived, who would he play golf with, Jimmy Carter or Ronald Reagan? Or would he just drip paint instead?

Look at Jack Kerouac, he ended up his life as alcoholic with his old mother, ranting against hippies and communists, shall we drop his works for that?

I made a distinction between works and artists.

Whoa....don't think I will, thanks very much. I'll just "get the fuck out."

I think I'd just work with the "ignore" function that's built into the board software, pollock - seriously. It can help a lot. (No offense to anyone intended, BTW....)

BTW, I really like your namesake's work! :) The National Gallery of Art (D.C.) has a section of their site devoted to him - probably the best online presentation on him that I've seen.

Edited by seeline

Does this mean that we'll never learn how voicing everything with a C7#9 chord is gonna invent jazz atonality?

Say it ain't so!

This is in reference to a little "essay" I put up in the musician forum about how I was using open-voiced quartal harmonies in the music I write. I never intended it to mean that I had discovered any new territory. I thought there might be some other composers here who would care to talk about their approaches and that we might get into a discussion about composing jazz. That's all. At the end of my post I clearly stated that there was nothing new in what I was talking about. The responses were rather dismissive, and a couple were just plain silly, referring to Jimi Hendrix and James Brown.

This quote above seems quite mean-spirited, and coupled with the join-in-or-fuck-off post and a suggestion to make use of the ignore function, I get the impression that this is a common occurance here.

It's a strange discussion board, and one that I don't find very appealing.