Preparing for exile in what could be a hostile land

pollock

Here's a scenario which might cause consternation. A new member joins the board.

1) The member's first posting refers to their e-bay sales.

2) But this new member is a woman.

Is she eagerly greeted like an oasis in the desert, or is she berated for pimpimg her e-bay?

Depends on three things:

1) Do we know she's a woman,

2) Are her ebay offerings obscure enough to get our interest, and

3) Does Chuck get there first...

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok.

So, how's the career going?

Are you kidding? It's going great! Got a rehearsal with my band tonight, gigs are starting to get lined up, and we do nothing but 100% original jazz music. Recording a CD this summer. The music is already getting notice on the internet. Meanwhile I'm still working as a freelance musician, the money is good, the wife is lovely and we're both excellent cooks. Obama's won 10 in a row. Life is wonderful.

You?

I'm tired, but it's a good tired.

Here's a scenario which might cause consternation. A new member joins the board.

Is she eagerly greeted like an oasis in the desert, or is she berated for pimpimg her e-bay?

Depends on three things:

4) Is she hot?

I'm just want to make this place a little friendlier for the newcomers.

Jim - I think alot of it has to do with how one enters the joint. This place IS a cyber-community where alot of us have known each other for some time now.

If a new person wants to join the group that's great - fresh ideas are usually a great thing. But coming in and right away telling people you know ALOT about jazz, and being dismissive of professional writers, producers, musicians, and board members in general - that ISN'T a good way to make an initial impression.

Free's comments about getting the lay of the land make alot of sense IMO. Or at least coming in and buying everyone a figurative round of drinks, instead of knocking their drinks over.

Yeah, I know there was a lot of drama that went with the whole Blue Note Diaspora, and in retrospect, hey that was what it was and it weren't pretty, but what I don't get is why some people show up, make a big deal about I'M HERE and shit, and then immediately get bugged because they don't like things. Hell, down here in Texas, we got a word for people like that and it's "Yankees" and it's a derogatory term indicating a near-total self-absorption manifested in an egocentricity of the type where it's all about me and why can't you be the way I want/need/picture you to be so I can live my life the way that a God's Gift To Mankind Like Me needs to live it, ok?

Hey, later for all that.

papsrus, otoh, just shows up , starts talking with everybody instead of to them, and I'm thinking to myself that this cat's been here for quite a while. Really. Then I find out that he's come over from AAJ. I'd never have guessed it if he hadn't of let it out himself. Hey, he's a cool dude who knows how that the best way to get respect & love is to give it out your ownself, and don't be afraid that you don't have enough for that. Fear is it's own punishment, if you know what I mean.

Now this pollock cat & this blewnoter guy, I'm sure that they're not idiots or anything, but they have yet to show me (and a lot of people here, apparently), any warmth, any congeniality, any indication that you'd want to hang with 'em. Strong opinions are not a problem here, nor is ego, nor is eccentricity. A stroll through the archives will prove that in not too much time. But what is a problem is giving off a vibe that you just can't laugh at yourself, or that you don't appreciate the lite side of life as much as you do the dark, or that if somebody calls you a punk ass bitch that you automatically think that it's an insult, because the notion of it being a joke is totally foreign to you, or...you know.

Arguably, there's probably a broader range of knowledge here than on any other jazz board extant. We got players (of all levels and styles), and iof we don't enjoy jumping all over every theoretical issue and picking it apart, maybe it's because we've been there, done that, and don't want to use a chat board as our practice room. We got collectors, "industry insiders", and fans (and players, again) who have lived long lives deep inside this music who know that it's not about "music being your life", it's about "life being your music". We're heard a lot of records, some of us have played a lot of the tunes you hear on them, and we in no way confuse knowing the records with knowing the music, because that would be like thinking that just because you've seen every photograph of Marilyn Monroe, read every book about her, and maybe talked to a few people who knew her, that you Know Marilyn Monroe As Well As Anybody.

Life don't work that way, therefore neither does music (unless you choose to inhabit a self-created Prison Of The Mind where it does....). And this is a community which collectively honors this far more often than not. It may well be our Bedrock Principle, in fact, although sometimes the bedrock is buried really, really deep down inside...

All I'm saying is that this is a community, make no mistake. All are welcome, but not all are gonna fit in. It ain't your fault and it ain't ours. If you want what we got the way we do it, you're certainly welcome to c'mon in. If not, you can save everybody some major time by continuing your search for a place to call home. If you need time to decide, cool. Just don't act a fool while doing so.

Edited by JSngry

Thom Keith, there's another example of a new guy who shows up and just starts chatting, not being show or anything, just speaking from the heart, honest, real-life shit, and I mean, hey, I'm thinking that he's been here a lot longer than he really has. It's good to have him here, seems like a good human being, ya'know?

Depends on three things:

4) Is she hot?

5) Can she cook and iron? ^_^

Depends on three things:

4) Is she hot?

5) Can she cook and iron? ^_^

True of course, but I didn't want to be the one to say it. ;)

Kind words, JSngry. Thank you.

I think all folks really need to do is recognize that people are different. They are going to have different points of view. That's often an opportunity to learn something, IMO.

So, you know, a little humility can't hurt. My experience here is that that's how most members operate. That, and humor is not off limits, which ... thank God!

I really do sense a difference in the cultures of the two boards -- one is often quite serious, and it's not uncommon for members to offer their opinions with a super-sized portion of gravitas. The other more freewheeling and self-confident, I think.

... Just my view.

:tup

I fail to see how Chuck's "get the fuck out" comment helps anything.

Your board. Sorry to have been a problem.

Escalating attacks on unsuspecting new posters.....ein noticeable uptick in passive-aggressive behavior.......elbowing little old ladies in the buffet line so that he can get the last spoonful

of mashed peas -- I've seen this behavior before. Ja!! Someone needs to come out of retirement and get a job managing ze used record store like ze good old glory days.

704804.1431880.jpg

Yeah, I know there was a lot of drama that went with the whole Blue Note Diaspora, and in retrospect, hey that was what it was and it weren't pretty, but what I don't get is why some people show up, make a big deal about I'M HERE and shit, and then immediately get bugged because they don't like things. Hell, down here in Texas, we got a word for people like that and it's "Yankees" and it's a derogatory term indicating a near-total self-absorption manifested in an egocentricity of the type where it's all about me and why can't you be the way I want/need/picture you to be so I can live my life the way that a God's Gift To Mankind Like Me needs to live it, ok?

Hey, later for all that.

papsrus, otoh, just shows up , starts talking with everybody instead of to them, and I'm thinking to myself that this cat's been here for quite a while. Really. Then I find out that he's come over from AAJ. I'd never have guessed it if he hadn't of let it out himself. Hey, he's a cool dude who knows how that the best way to get respect & love is to give it out your ownself, and don't be afraid that you don't have enough for that. Fear is it's own punishment, if you know what I mean.

Now this pollock cat & this blewnoter guy, I'm sure that they're not idiots or anything, but they have yet to show me (and a lot of people here, apparently), any warmth, any congeniality, any indication that you'd want to hang with 'em. Strong opinions are not a problem here, nor is ego, nor is eccentricity. A stroll through the archives will prove that in not too much time. But what is a problem is giving off a vibe that you just can't laugh at yourself, or that you don't appreciate the lite side of life as much as you do the dark, or that if somebody calls you a punk ass bitch that you automatically think that it's an insult, because the notion of it being a joke is totally foreign to you, or...you know.

Arguably, there's probably a broader range of knowledge here than on any other jazz board extant. We got players (of all levels and styles), and iof we don't enjoy jumping all over every theoretical issue and picking it apart, maybe it's because we've been there, done that, and don't want to use a chat board as our practice room. We got collectors, "industry insiders", and fans (and players, again) who have lived long lives deep inside this music who know that it's not about "music being your life", it's about "life being your music". We're heard a lot of records, some of us have played a lot of the tunes you hear on them, and we in no way confuse knowing the records with knowing the music, because that would be like thinking that just because you've seen every photograph of Marilyn Monroe, read every book about her, and maybe talked to a few people who knew her, that you Know Marilyn Monroe As Well As Anybody.

Life don't work that way, therefore neither does music (unless you choose to inhabit a self-created Prison Of The Mind where it does....). And this is a community which collectively honors this far more often than not. It may well be our Bedrock Principle, in fact, although sometimes the bedrock is buried really, really deep down inside...

All I'm saying is that this is a community, make no mistake. All are welcome, but not all are gonna fit in. It ain't your fault and it ain't ours. If you want what we got the way we do it, you're certainly welcome to c'mon in. If not, you can save everybody some major time by continuing your search for a place to call home. If you need time to decide, cool. Just don't act a fool while doing so.

Very well said.

This is all really...weird. Why are people still posting to this thread? What is it that's being discussed here? Weird. I've been reading all this for the past couple of days and that's the only word that comes to mind. Weird.

Welcome to Organissimo.