Tony Scott 11-16-57

JSngry

Ok, I got the fresh Sounds CD A Day In New York, have found a Carlton LP of some of it, just found a Perfect (label - a subsidiary of Epic, & how low down the food chain is a subsidiary of a subsidiary anyhow?) of some more of it, but the question remains - how the hell did this marathon session come about? Was it all on spec? Some of it? Who produced it? I mean, there's a lot of fine playing going on here, and it's just like Scott hired a band, a studio, and let it roll, with no mind as to who got the results except that somebody would somewhere, sometime.

Pretty cool, but I'd like to know the story anyway (as well as how it all came out originally). As always, thanks in advance!

Scott produced this marathon session and sold portions of it to Carlton, Seeco, Perfect (CBS). The CD gathers together all of the material which was spread over three LP's and a couple of compilations. I suspect Scott may have retained ownership, because the Fresh Sounds CD seems to be from master tapes, probably obtained from Scott himself.

The session is from November 16, 1957. Some information regarding this session is available at Tony Scott's website:

http://www.tonyscott.it/day_in_ny.htm

How, by the way, do I make this a link?

Can you give more information please. I've got a Scott cd on Giants of Jazz that's titled Tony Scott and Bill Evans 1957 but doesn't give a more specific date. Has 12 cuts. I think it's from a couple of sessions since Henry Grimes replaces Milt Hinton on some cuts.

Scott produced this marathon session and sold portions of it to Carlton, Seeco, Perfect (CBS). The CD gathers together all of the material which was spread over three LP's and a couple of compilations. I suspect Scott may have retained ownership, because the Fresh Sounds CD seems to be from master tapes, probably obtained from Scott himself.

Just out of curiosity, is this Fresh Sound version in stereo or mono?

Stereo.

Stereo.

Thank you.

Tony always seemed to be able to put together interesting, eclectic groups of sidemen. I remember seeing him one time in the 60's at the Dom in NYC. I forget who was on bass, but he had Jaki Byard on piano and Rashied Ali on drums!

• 3 weeks later...

Tony Scott was known to be a good forward thinking producer/organizer.

He was even involved in some pop music hits. Just another one of his talents.

Wasn't he Harry Belafonte's music director or something like that at the height of the singer's recoding career?

scott was an interesting guy - even in some early 1950s work, he sounds like he's trying to wriggle outside of the harmony - one of the earliest "outside" players -

His Aeolian Drinking Song could be one of the earliest modal jazz recordings (?) In any case, it's a tune based on one scale. Scott himself plays with passion (although he seems stuck with the scale) but this set up pushes young Bill Evans to do quite interesting things in his solo. There's also a passage with Evans and Scott playing 4/4 while drums and bass are on 3/4.

F

I remember when I was a kid liking a Tony Scott 10-inch "live" Decca LP, recorded at an Army camp IIRC with Philly Joe on drums, but everything that I've heard from him since he moved to RCA in '56 or so has struck me as unlistenable. All he does is twiddle and twiddle -- and pretty much the same damn twiddles regardless of the tune or where he is in it. I guess you could call that wriggling outside the harmony. Also, FWIW there was Bill Crow's "famous" put down of Scott as an egomaniac in a record review in the old Jazz Review (June 1959), which inspired a letter in defense of Scott from Bill Evans.

Crow review excerpts: "When he is around it is always a show, and it is always Tony's show, unless a bigger ham upstages him. Tony wants to be a star. He uses every situation as a stepping stone in his energetic scramble not for artistry, but for fame. He is so intent on his goal that he doesn't even realize how badly he uses his associates.... He plays in a tortured, rigid, sensationalistic manner that successfully attracts attention but has little to do with playing music.... His affectations of humility are loaded with egotism.... [H]e falls back constantly on his three favorite devices: five note descending chromatic runs, ear-piercing squeals and glissandos, and hysteric noncommital twittering around the changes...." Then Crow really lets him have it. And you thought it was the critics who are unkind to jazz musicians?

• 5 months later...

how about these sessions now compiled on a Fresh Sound CD:

Scott's Fling (RCA Victor LJM 1022)

Jimmy Nottingham (tp) Billy Byers (tb) Eddie Wasserman (ts) Danny Bank (bar) Milt Hinton (b) Osie Johnson (d)

New York, December 18, 1954, January 7 & 12, 1955

Abstraction No. 1

Autumn Nocturne

But Not for Me

Finger Poppin' Blues

Forty-Second Street

Glad to Be Unhappy

Let my Fingers Go!

Lucky to Be Me

Love is Here to Stay

Requiem for "Lips"

Sunday Scene

Three Short Dances for Solo Clarinet

Tony Scott Septet (RCA EPA 596)

Jimmy Nottingham (tp) Kai Winding (tb) Tony Scott (cl) Eddie Wasserman (ts) Danny Bank (bar) Milt Hinton (b) Osie Johnson (d)

New York, December 28, 1954

E4VB5492 Late Show

E4VB5493 Ridin' High

E4VB5494 The Blue Room

E4VB5495 Vendome

E4VB5496 Lullaby of Birdland

Tony Scott (Vic EPA 705)

same, Billy Byers (tb) replaces Kai Winding

New York, December, 1954

Body and Soul

Friday the Thirteenth

My Melancholy Baby

Squaw with no Reservation

Just playing this now for the first time, and before that I played "Sung Heroes" again. Some very good stuff on the latter, but also the septet sessions (reissued as "Fingerpoppin'", FSR-CD 415, 2006) contain some very nice music, I find. Some that immediately makes one listen, quite surprising and fresh, I find.

Btw, the Tony Scott page (tonyscott.it) seems to be down, I wanted to check out the disco there.