LF: Windows Vista Experiences, Pro Or Con

JSngry

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For real, Vista on a new system w/all new software is not at all unpleasant. Quite the opposite, actually. Office 2007 is a treat too. I've had no backwards compatibility issues with files themselves, and haven't even tried to use any software. But then, I don't usually do that anyway. Seems like there's always something for any new OS that will do it there as well as the old stuff did for its OS, at least for what I've needed over the years.

But as an "upgrade" on top of a previous installation with older software? Ooooohhhh....yours is but one of many unhappy endings to that story....

Honestly, I got vista on my new machine because Dell was charging significantly more to put XP on, plus they were aiming that gambit mainly at gamers, of which I am not one. But I have been quite happy with it. The ease w/which I was disabel to stop that nasty virus was the coup de grace for me. Nasty ass malware totally taking over your system? AV protection totally disabled? No problem - just find the new folder in the start menu & drag it to the Recycle Bin (pretty Mac-like too, I guess, which is why I think I'll end up with a Mac when I get the urge to just totally "let go" of my computer "comfort zone", I think they got the "if it seems logical, do it" thing pretty much down to an art-science)! The online directions for removing that bug from an XP system were considerably more complicated (but still useful for final cleanup).

I really liked XP. But I like Vista more, at least coming to it as I have.

For real, Vista on a new system w/all new software is not at all unpleasant. Quite the opposite, actually. Office 2007 is a treat too. I've had no backwards compatibility issues with files themselves, and haven't even tried to use any software. But then, I don't usually do that anyway. Seems like there's always something for any new OS that will do it there as well as the old stuff did for its OS, at least for what I've needed over the years.

But as an "upgrade" on top of a previous installation with older software? Ooooohhhh....yours is but one of many unhappy endings to that story....

Honestly, I got vista on my new machine because Dell was charging significantly more to put XP on, plus they were aiming that gambit mainly at gamers, of which I am not one. But I have been quite happy with it. The ease w/which I was disabel to stop that nasty virus was the coup de grace for me. Nasty ass malware totally taking over your system? AV protection totally disabled? No problem - just find the new folder in the start menu & drag it to the Recycle Bin (pretty Mac-like too, I guess, which is why I think I'll end up with a Mac when I get the urge to just totally "let go" of my computer "comfort zone", I think they got the "if it seems logical, do it" thing pretty much down to an art-science)! The online directions for removing that bug from an XP system were considerably more complicated (but still useful for final cleanup).

I really liked XP. But I like Vista more, at least coming to it as I have.

That sums it up. My next machine will probably have the next Win OS pre-installed.

I just got a new notebook, 2GB RAM, cheapest one I could get... Vista (cheapest version there is).

I installed my olde Office XP on it, might not have been the smartest of ideas, but it's been running perfectly well for ten days now (and almost without a break).

The password thing that's being lamented above you got with some XP service/security pack as well, and it seems it's sensible to use as it's one further protection against being hacked.

The one issue I've had is that Outlook XP/2002 is not working properly on Vista, and as my old machine ran the Office 2003 (I had to have it redone, HD replaced, and probably the guy who did that only had Office 2003 around), I had issues getting my emails exported (creating a Personal folder 97-02 didn't solve the problem, Outlook XP still told me it wasn't compatible... that took two or three hours to do, Outlook being such a slow programme...)

Then I decided to switch to Opera Mail (set-up was done in one minute, really!), but Opera only allows imports from Outlook Express, but not Outlook proper. To get OE, you'd need to get an old MS Internet Explorer (OE was a free-by/freebie - sp?). That again might cause trouble with security updates that you get in conjunction with MSIE or some such, so instead I got Thunderbird, got all the Outlook stuff in there (took only half an hour, a fourth or fifth of the time it took to get things exported/copied in Outlook!). Then I zipped the system folder there and overwrote the respective folder on the new machine, bingo, had all the mail in Thunderbird on the new one... and imported it into Opera, again in 20-30 minutes. Impressive!

The bug (that seems to have never been fixed) you get with Outlook XP in Vista is that your POP-server passwords won't be stored. Each time you re-open Outlook, the password fields are empty again (of course with the "save password" box checked)...

Now only one small bug remains: if I open my Access database with all my live show infos in it and go up and down with the arrow-keys, each time I hit the key, I get an extremly loud annoying alarm kind of sound... couldn't turn off the sound, and going into the rededit thing and putting in "no" (instead of the default "yes") as a value in that place where you can change these settings (googled the path, don't even remember, I'm so clueless about such crap) didn't help either. So I have to get used to using the mouse-pad instead of the arrow-keys to select the sheets there...

Other than that, I'm happy now... and I guess I might change to ubuntu once I don't need MS Word to finish all the University crap (I'm just used to the old Word and don't want to learn things anew right now... otherwise I might have looked for a cheap MS Office 07, which I'm sure would have made things easier...)

Anyway, I don't complain, most of my software is running again, the printer I just had to hook up and be online and all the settings were installed automatically (it's a Brother I think, not an HP).

• 1 month later...

Probably mentioned above, but I cannot stand the fact that you need Administrator overrides for everything. I am working at a library computer, and I need to move some files into different folders (on my own portable HD), and it won't let me do that, since I don't have an adminstrator's password of course. It just seems intrusive and a memory hog. I explicitly went back down to XP when I bought a new computer (getting harder to find sites that will let you do this). If I absolutely need to upgrade, I'll switch over to 7 but never Vista.

Probably mentioned above, but I cannot stand the fact that you need Administrator overrides for everything. I am working at a library computer, and I need to move some files into different folders (on my own portable HD), and it won't let me do that, since I don't have an adminstrator's password of course. It just seems intrusive and a memory hog. I explicitly went back down to XP when I bought a new computer (getting harder to find sites that will let you do this). If I absolutely need to upgrade, I'll switch over to 7 but never Vista.

That should be setting dependent. If it's a library computer, they probably don't want you doing what you're trying to do. I don't have any problems like that using Vista at home since I don't have it configured that way.

I've only been using Vista for about two months, since I bought a new box, but I love it. It's much faster and stabler than XP ever was, but you need the right hardware for it.

It's all moot anyway as I should be getting my (free) W7 upgrade any day now.

My wife's computer has Vista; mine has XP. I don't like Vista, though I'm obviously not familiar with it.

I've got the printer, so if she wants to print something out, she sends me an e-mail. But I can't read it unless she explicitly saves it in the old version of Word. Vista's not backwards compatible that way.

She wanted me to put a shortcut to a folder onto her desktop the other day and I couldn't find out how to do it!!!!

I've also been told it won't run Access. But I see Ubu has Access. So, have I been misled?

MG

I've got the printer, so if she wants to print something out, she sends me an e-mail. But I can't read it unless she explicitly saves it in the old version of Word. Vista's not backwards compatible that way.

Huh? That's not Vista's fault, that's the "fault" of your version of Word not being forward-compatible, which would pretty much be impossible! She's running Office 2007 (which does have a learning curve but is really fun to work in once you negotiate it, especially Excel) & you're not. The fact that Office 2007 allows her to save a file in the old .doc format as well as the new .docx format shows that it is backwards-compatible!

She wanted me to put a shortcut to a folder onto her desktop the other day and I couldn't find out how to do it!!!!

Dude, this hasn't changed since...I don't know when. 3.x? Right click the folder you want to make the shortcut to and take it from there. If you can do it in XP, you can do it in Vista.

That should be setting dependent. If it's a library computer, they probably don't want you doing what you're trying to do. I don't have any problems like that using Vista at home since I don't have it configured that way.

I've only been using Vista for about two months, since I bought a new box, but I love it. It's much faster and stabler than XP ever was, but you need the right hardware for it.

It's all moot anyway as I should be getting my (free) W7 upgrade any day now.

My sentiments exactly. On your home machine, you should automatically be set as an administrator. If you're not for the odd program, right click & select "Run as administrator"

As for 7, I'm hearing "great things", but...I duuno, I've got no beefs with Vista Ultimate & hardware/software (mostly) designed for it. I think I'll leave well enough alone, especially 7.0. I don't like anything .0!

Wow, you guys have really had some problems. I have XP and plan to keep it as long as I possibly can. I dreaded Vista as I had heard so many bad things about it when it first came out. Then the news of Windows 7 coming out was filled with the same hype. FYI Windows 7 is nothing more than Vista with a few fixes. Microsoft is really embarrassed about Vista and wants to wipe it out as soon as possible. But the trends for the future have been set so they also want to banish XP to oblivion also (a planned way to have everyone on

Vista in some form or another).

Personally I had many problmes lately with XP including the BSOD (and many of them) that I was going crazy because I was not going to switch to Vista under any circumstances. My DVDs would not play because of some Overlay malfunction. Well guess what, my problems were the cause of one single thing; the graphics adapter driver (standard issue). Microsoft would not put out an update for quite awhile. Turns out I went to the Geek Squad and the guy finds an update on the internet and my computer has been running fine ever since. However, he showed me losts of dust in the fans etc. He did not charge me for the service and only charged me for a couple cans of compressed air for me to do the cleaning myself. I'm in the process now.

I will never switch to any form of Vista (including Windows 7) unless my computer just plain stops. I have rwead in the PC magazine and others that an upgrade to Vista or Windows 7 is a very bad thing to do. I will have to upgrade my RAM though.

BruceW :party:

@MG: there's a small compatibility thingie you can install - that will allow you to read those files (they appear as .docx). Go to the Windowsupdate page and look for it, takes three minutes to do and you'll be able to open word and excel files created with new versions of MS Office.

vista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista sucksvista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista vista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista sucksvista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista vista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista sucksvista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista vista sucks vista vista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista sucksvista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista vista sucks vista vista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista sucksvista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista vista sucks vista vista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista sucksvista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista vista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista sucksvista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista vista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista sucksvista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista vista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista sucksvista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista vista sucks vista vista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista sucksvista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista vista sucks vista vista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista sucksvista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista vista sucks vista vista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista sucksvista sucks vista sucks vista sucks vista

never again will I go near it

Vista. no doubt, is eternally grateful! :g

Really, I don't know WTF is causing some people to have great experiences with it, some horrible ones. I suspect that - again - Vista is not something to install over/on a preexisting OS/configuration. It was definitely introduced too soon. but I don't think that Microsoft is going back(wards) either. So it's either move ahead or buy a Mac, I guess.