What time do you get up?

My TV turns on each morning, so that I can watch/listen to C-Span's Washington Journal, but I am often up and about before then, sometimes at 5 AM. It depends on how late I stay up, working. So, I'm always up no later than 7 AM and, should I need it, I will take an hour or so to nap in the afternoon.

I don't think Lonson ever sleeps, he is often posting at ungodly hours (in Texas).

4:30AM. I get up, read the paper, then I go for a 2 mile walk [or slow jog if I'm feeling particularly energetic when the cold air hits me]. I turn on my coffee on my way back into the house and it's ready when I've finished my shower. I work until about 2PM, then usually have a nap for about an hour to re-charge.

I like the early morning because it's quiet and I can think.

When I had an office job to go to (and was for the most part my own boss) I'd set the alarm early, like 6 AM - out the door between 6:30 and 7 AM, my commute was almost always painless. I'd be in the office long before the boss was, doing Internet things + reading the paper. The boss thought I started working at 8 AM and so I left at 4 in the afternoon, mostly beating the rush though not as consistently as I beat the morning rush. And I was never a coffee glutton with those hours, I had about 6 cups before 9 AM but never any after that, and I'd get a workout in when I got home, most afternoons.

Now that I am working from the house and my wife is as well, she sets the alarm if she needs to be out early or otherwise the dogs get her up around 7 to 7:30. I'm pretty bad about letting Gracie whine until Sue gets up instead of getting up myself. I usually get an extra hour sleep beyond that and am at the PC, getting caught up on emails and checking out the 'O' around 9 AM.

I try to make it up to her by letting her sleep on the weekend while I deal with the dogs.

First alarm sounds at 5:30 am. I turn on the radio and snooze/listen until my second alarm at 6:00. I snooze/listen until my third alarm at 6:10. At that point I know I have 10 minutes to snooze/listen until I absolutely have to get up at ~ 6:20. I'm out the door at 7:00 to get to work by ~7:30. I usually am up until midnight.

I've tried to eliminate two of the three alarms. If I slept through until 6:20 I would feel exhausted and most likely be late for work.

Now that we're in DST, I will probably be up until 12:30 or 1am each night. Friday night is crash night. ^_^

First alarm sounds at 5:30 am. I turn on the radio and snooze/listen until my second alarm at 6:00. I snooze/listen until my third alarm at 6:10. At that point I know I have 10 minutes to snooze/listen until I absolutely have to get up at ~ 6:20. I'm out the door at 7:00 to get to work by ~7:30. I usually am up until midnight.

I've tried to eliminate two of the three alarms. If I slept through until 6:20 I would feel exhausted and most likely be late for work.

I've heard of "easing into your day" but that's ridiculous! ;)

I can't imagine dealing with an alarm 50 minutes before I need to get up. I guess I'm lucky that I can be functional pretty quickly after an alarm - I've never dealt with snooze buttons and actually prefer to have the alarm situated where I have to physically get out of bed to turn it off (my wife's side has the nightstand but on my side is my tall dresser, and that is where we have the alarm clock).

I have to say that I'm thankful I never lost the ability to sleep in, I'd much rather get those zzz's than "enjoy" the early morning stillness. On the other hand maybe my current sleep pattern is just a slow steady recovery of hours lost to sleep deprivation I voluntarily subjected myself when I wasn't working from home.

Guest Bill Barton

Well, the "jazz fans are night owls" cliche has pretty much been blown out of the water so far. Being "semi retired" I have a flexible schedule and generally get up when I wake up, whenever that might be. And I do tend to be something of a night owl, although I've never posted here past midnight Pacific Time.

I have a four legged feline alarm clock (almost eighteen years old!) that tries to wake me at 4:00 a.m. Springing forward helps. . . She thought it was 4 when it was 5 this morning.

I generally get up at 5:00 or 5:15 a.m. every day, week day or weekend day. And try to be in bed by 9:00 to 9:30 p.m. It has been harder to sleep continuously the last 18 months or so, I'm sometimes up in the middle of the night for an hour. . . .

Most of you folks are up before me. Usually it's to sleep between 1 a.m. and 2 a.m. and then up between 8 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. ... So I guess I'm a bit of a night owl and somewhat of an early riser too. (It's true, I think, that the older you get the less sleep you need -- until you're ancient, perhaps. Then, mostly sleep??)

I have noticed that sometimes the time stamp on my posts isn't correct, and can be off by several hours. There seems to be no logic to the discrepancy (although I haven't paid that close attention ... just noticed it was off sometimes).

EDIT: For instance, I posted this at 6:10 Eastern time but the time stamp says 5:10. Maybe my settings are off, but I don't think so.

Edited by papsrus

My routine when school is in session is to get up at 7AM and to be in bed by midnight (although I'm not always successful at the latter :unsure: ). In the summer and during holidays I start naturally drifting towards later hours. This next week is spring break so I'll probably be up until 2AM or so and sleep until 9AM. That's about as late as I can sleep no matter when I go to bed. I have some (music) writing projects that are coming due, and I like to write late at night. I think when I was younger it was more desirable to keep the traditional "jazz" hours (up until 3 or 4AM), not so much anymore.

I've never been much of a morning person, although I am almost always more productive when I do get up earlier- but not until I've made that first round of good & strong french-press coffee, of course!

Wow, Lon! An eighteen-year-old cat! How nice to have an old friend around!

Edited by Free For All

I grew up in a small town where I could get up at 8, shower, have a quick breakfast, and still be at school by 9. So I thought 8 was the norm. When I was studying and teaching at university I tried not to have any classes before 11 so I got up even later.

When I moved to LA I discovered I had to get up by 7 just to get to work on time. (When I'm on a film it's more like 5:45 or earlier.)

So now I usually wake up between 6:30 and 7 and get out of bed at 7 or a bit later, but that still seems early to me. I think our concept of norms is set when we're young.

My kids had to be at school by 8 and sometimes earlier, though supposedly teenagers' natural rhythm is to get up later.

Edited by medjuck

I'm usually up no later than 4:45 am weekdays. I then fix myself breakfast and coffee before I head off to the gym just past 5:30. Weekends, somewhat later. Maybe 7 am if I'm lucky on a Sunday morning. I have dogs too.(3) When they hear the paper girls car driving up the street, all hell breaks loose.

Edited by Tom 1960

Well, the "jazz fans are night owls" cliche has pretty much been blown out of the water so far. Being "semi retired" I have a flexible schedule and generally get up when I wake up, whenever that might be. And I do tend to be something of a night owl, although I've never posted here past midnight Pacific Time.

Oh, I don't know about that, Bill.

Yes, I get up at 4:30AM, but I never go to bed before midnight.

Because I work out of my home, I can set aside an hour or so in the afternoon to have a re-charging nap.

I imagine that if I had to keep regular office hours I would sleep later and walk on a treadmill in the evening.