Idiot interviews Bill Evans in 1972

Christiern

Thanks Chris.

Maybe the one with Jimmy Heath will be uncovered,

You know, the one where you ask him something like "Do you like our set?' (it looks like a club) and Jimmy says something like "No, we're trying to get away from playing in clubs"!

Great music though with Jimmy, Curtis Fuller and a nasty looking Mtume.

You either have a tape or a very good memory, Marcello! I recall Jimmy telling me--in the interview--that he does not like the term, "jazz." Many people didn't back then in the air of militancy. I also recall that Jimmy and I were seated at a table and when the camera was looking at Jimmy over my shoulder, his face was seen behind the smoke from my cigarette. Glad I kicked that nasty habit.

I think it was a real one. Our set designers were meticulous, they wanted the set to look like a real club--even bought a jukebox and filled it with jazz. It apparently worked, because when the show started airing coast to coast, we began getting cards and letters from all over--people were planning a NYC trip and wanted the address of the club. We weren't even in NYC, we were in Trenton.

Languages have never been a problem for me, as far as accent goes. I speak Icelandic and Danish with an accent. My Mother lived in Iceland for many years and three of her husbands were Icelandic, my she never lost her Danish accent completely. When I was commuting to England (working with the BBC), I spent alternate months in NY and London and where I was inevitably affected how I spoke.

I probably did have a foreign accent at one point, but it was really more a case of mispronouncing words. For example, I would get my "v"s and "w"s mixed up, sipping Wee-o and ginger while watching T-wee, but I corrected that problem. When I was a disc jockey at AFRS and, later in the U.S., I did make an effort to sound more American than British. When people tried to pinpoint my accent, geographically, they often concluded that I was from the Midwest.

Forget about all that, what do y'all think of Bill Evan's performance on this show?

I enjoyed watching the links. As far as I could see, you did nothing to embarass yourself. Bill's interview was very revealing. His intellectualism and thoughtfulness came through very clearly, as did an apparent shyness. The music was great. Who else was on your show?

Edited by connoisseur series500

I enjoyed watching the links. As far as I could see, you did nothing to embarass yourself. Bill's interview was very revealing. His intellectualism and thoughtfulness came through very clearly, as did an apparent shyness. The music was great. Who else was on your show?

Thank you for the kind words. Well, as to your question--you asked for it!

THE JAZZ SET

Roy Haynes Hip Ensemble
2/7/72

Roy Haynes (dms); and others.

Larry Johnson
2/15/72 (Air: 7/27/72)

Larry Johnson (vcls and gtr).

Clifford Jordan
2/22/72

Clifford Jordan (ts); George Coleman (ts); Stanley Cowell (p); Bill Lee (bs); Tootie Heath (dms); Dee Dee Bridgewater & Sheila Jordan (vcls).

Joe Lee Wilson
2/29/72

Joe Lee Wilson (vc); Rashied Ali (dms), and others.

Jimmy Heath All-Stars
3/6/72

Jimmy Heath (ts); Curtis Fuller (tb); Kenny Barron (p); Bill Lee (bs); Al Heath (dm); Mtume (congas).

Rashied Ali
3/14/72

Rashied Ali (dms); Carlos Ward (as, flute); Dave Burrell (p); Sirone Jones (bs).

Ray Draper & the New Island Social Club
3/21/72

Ray Draper (tuba, Bar. horn, vocals, percuss.); Atlee Chapman (valve tb); Clive Stevens (sop & ten sax); Bu Pleasant (organ, vocals); Stu Williamson (bs); Richard Crooks (dms).

Irene Reid
3/28/72 (Air: 7/13/72)

Irene Reid (vcls); and others.

Sam Wooding
4/11/72 (Air 8/3/72)

Sam Wooding (p); Louis Metcalfe (tp); Jimmy Wright (ts); Jimmy Shirley (g); Al Drears (dm); Rae Harrison (vcl).

Charles McGhee and The Gap
4/11/72

Charles McGhee (tp); and others.

Keno Duke
4/18/72 (Air: 7/6/72)

Keno Duke (dms); Frank Strozier (ts); and others.

Joe McPhee
4/18/72

Joe McPhee (tp, ts); Clifford Thornton (tp); Mike Kull (p); Harold Smith (dms).

Lonnie Liston Smith
4/25/72 (Air: 8/24/72)

Lonnie Liston Smith (el & acoustic piano); Jazzbo Alexander (flute); John Gilmore (sax); Cecil McBee (bs); Norman Connors (dms); Ná Ná (congas).

Jeremy Steig
4/25/72 (Air: 8/17/72)

Jeremy Steig (flute); Gene Perla (el. bass); Don Alias (dms).

Ted Curson
5/2/72 (Air: 9/7/72)

Ted Curson (tp, piccolo horn); Bill Barron (ts); Lee Scippers (vibes); Sam Jones (bs); Freddy Waits (dms).

Charles Mingus
5/9/72 (Air: 8/31/72)

Charles Mingus (bs); Lonnie Hillyer (tp); Charles McPherson (as); Bobby Jones (ts); John Foster (p); Roy Brooks (dms).

Ray Bryant Trio
5/16/72 (Air: 8/10/72

Ray Bryant (p); Harold Dodson (bs); Leroy Williams (dms).

Bobbi Humphrey
5/23/72 (Air: 9/21/72)

Bobbi Humphrey (flute); Harold Mabern (p); Bob Cranshaw (b); Mickey Roker (dms).

Bill Evans Trio
5/30/72 (Air: 9/14/72)

Bill Evans (p); Eddie Gomez (b); Marty Morrel (dms).

* PBS Network

list is incomplete

Edited by Christiern

Thanks for the list, Chris. I couldn't find it anywhere.

It nice you had Keno Duke and Charles McGhee, both of whom I saw a few times.

I think I have all of the Keno Duke LPs on Strata East.

0c92_1.JPG

Lonnie Liston Smith with John Gilmore?

Not to mention NaNa and Jazzbo.

Edited by marcello

Guest Bill Barton

Wow! That's quite the eclectic list of performances, Chris. I seem to vaguely recall seeing at least a couple of The Jazz Set shows when they first aired. The only one on your list that rings a bell is the Jeremy Steig: I definitely saw that one.

Sam Wooding :excited:

Joe McPhee with Clifford Thornton :excited:

and that Clifford Jordan show looks like quite the line-up...

Bill, I also did a 1-hour special w. Sam Wooding, where we recreated the living room of his Harlem apartment (with actual borrowd furniture an stuff of his, and sat at the table for a chicken dinner--as we so often did sans cameras. I wonder what happened to the tape of that show. Joe McPhee is an old friend and I had gotten to know Clifford Thornton well (through Joe) by the time he died.

To answer your question, TtK, I believe that New Jersey Television, where the show originated, reused the tapes, but that the Library of Congress has either originals (or copies of originals) for the 13 shows that aired on the PBS network. Parts of the Mingus show were used in the documentary, "Triumph of the Underdog" and--since clips pop up on YouTube, there obviously are obviously good copies of some of the shows around. How that Evans show got Japanese subtitles is a mystery to me--I was not aware of any of these shows having been shown overseas. Also, the people who post clips from the Jazz Set seem to be European. Go figure. I was stupid not to demand copies for myself, which--as co-producer and host--I probably could have gotten, at least on U-matic cassettes.

BTW, we also did a show with Randy Weston--I was sick, so Dan Morgenstern sat in for me on that one. I also want to say the having Bobbi Humphrey as a guest was aa bad mistake, but she at least brought with her musicians who could play. :)