Thelonious Moog

mikeweil

Thelonious Moog website

Ordered this after someone mentioned it in the "What are you listening to right now" thread.

It's hilarious - I'd say they understood the core of Monk's music better than many a jazz cat playing uninspired routine chord changes instead of playing on the melody and mood - Monk never wrote down chord changes. They play them accurately, never mess with his compositions themselves, even play a whole Monk piano chorus on "I Mean You", just change the sound, and the results are gorgeous.

It's a compliment to a composer if his substance is so heavy he survives the "Switched-On" treatment - like J.S. Bach and Frank Zappa.

Edited by mikeweil

• 3 months later...

Ordered this after someone mentioned it in the "What are you listening to right now" thread.

Should I email them and demand a commission? ;)

For more twisted Monk interpretations, check out the Brilliant Coroners. Their thrash-metal version of "Brilliant Corners" rules.

Hey, I just discovered this! Thanks for the plug! We've been trying to get up to your neck of the woods, but no Boston club'll return our phone calls. Any suggestions?

Please pardon another plug, but if anyone in the NYC area wants to catch us, we'll be playing the Knitting Factory on 2/4/04 at 8PM.

Knitting Factory